Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warning sound for evs in car parks etc ?

• 11-07-2017 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭

Just wondering should or do evs have a warning beep or whatever for car parks or wherever they will be moving where people are present, similar to lorries when reversing or construction equipment? Would be no harm if even something that could be manually switched on or off so you wouldn't be listening to it in normal road traffic

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mooooo wrote: »
    Just wondering should or do evs have a warning beep or whatever for car parks or wherever they will be moving where people are present, similar to lorries when reversing or construction equipment? Would be no harm if even something that could be manually switched on or off so you wouldn't be listening to it in normal road traffic

Yes they emit a noise that warns pedestrians ahead. Remember they are not 100% quiet. There are still road noises, rolling resistance noises of the Tyres on the ground etc.

But, if you really want to run someone over, you can turn off the noise (Leaf anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Mooooo wrote: »

Gangman Style, with windows open, with the subwoofer maxed is usually loud enough, I find anyway

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

In 70,300 Kms EV driving and about 130,000 Prius , I've never had any problems with pedestrians , if any one misbehaves I lightly blip the horn and most people are fine about it.

Think cycling, you ring your bell to tell someone you're behind them , it't no different in an EV. No need for stupid artificial warning noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kceire wrote: »
    Yes they emit a noise that warns pedestrians ahead. Remember they are not 100% quiet. There are still road noises, rolling resistance noises of the Tyres on the ground etc.

But, if you really want to run someone over, you can turn off the noise (Leaf anyway).

Does it actual emit a noise? My bro asked me about this, he heard it gave out a noise in town but I told him he was nuts....

I don't think the eGolf does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Orebro

The Leaf emits a VSP up to 30kph. There is a button to the right of the steering wheel (furthest to the right I think without actually looking) which you can turn it off temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes it has a high pitched hum alright under a certain speed. 30kph I think?
    But yeah, I find that people gawking at the phones with their headsets on don't hear or see you, no matter how loud you are. I've been stopped dead in a carpark and a person walked straight into the bonnet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Does it actual emit a noise?

Yes.

I always turn off that fake sound in the leaf, utter ridiculous !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

Zoe has a sound up to 30 km.

You can select your "ringtone" from I think 3 different ones.

You have to switch it off every time you start the car. I just ignore it.

In the U.S they are about to pass a law that makes EV's make a continuous noise equivalent to the DB emitted from an ICE that can't be turned off and even when the car is stopped in traffic it will make a continuous noise.

Seems like people just can't let go of the past on some things, that would be ridiculous because noise is a form of both torture and pollution and ICE's in general emit more of the same noise but different ev manufacturers would program their fake noise generators with all sorts of different noises with different frequencies I'd imagine it would sound really horrid with many cars in the same location not to mention thousands.

I hope that law doesn't pass. Because it will most likely happen in Europe too.

One of the advantages of electrics is that they can make our towns and cities a lot quieter and a lot less taken over my the motor car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

In the U.S they are about to pass a law

Seems the requirement has already been set, all electrics from Sept. 1, 2019 onwards, https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-sets-quiet-car-safety-standard-protect-pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Orebro

Thats just disastrous. Vested interests managed to lobby this one through no doubt. Maybe EVs will be forced to emit toxic gas out the back too.

RootX wrote: »
    Seems the requirement has already been set, all electrics from Sept. 1, 2019 onwards, https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-sets-quiet-car-safety-standard-protect-pedestrians

I don't think everything is in there such as emitting the same DB as ICE cars and even when the ev is stationary, but perhaps they have change it.

Advertisement