Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From UK driving licence to IRE driving licence

Options
  • 11-07-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

After relocating to Dublin from London I want to exchange my UK driving licence for an Irish Driving licence..The only reason I got a an English driving was for cheaper car insurance in the UK. To get my English licence I had to hand over my Irish driving licence

I would be grateful for any guidance

Cheers
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hi

After relocating to Dublin from London I want to exchange my UK driving licence for an Irish Driving licence..The only reason I got a an English driving was for cheaper car insurance in the UK. To get my English licence I had to hand over my Irish driving licence

I would be grateful for any guidance

Cheers
    M

Personally, i would keep it until it expires as there is no advantage in having an Irish licence, unless you want to drive a tractor. (I think a UK licence gives you the right to drive a 7.5 tonne van, whereas an Irish licence gives you the right to drive a tractor instead)

These are the guys to speak to though https://www.ndls.ie/ they are up in Leopardstown shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

My uk licence is valid til 2038 (old style) - no issue using it here since 1999. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

CeilingFly wrote: »
    My uk licence is valid til 2038 (old style) - no issue using it here since 1999. :)

Aah, I changed address not long before I moved to Ireland, which meant my new licence had a ten year lifespan.

Advertisement