Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop the grill flaming?

Options
  • 11-07-2017 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi all, has anyone any tips on how you stop the grill flaming when doing sausages, burgers etc under it? Once they start spitting I'll usually get a few flames then it becomes a game of waiting to see how long I last til I fold and either move them further away from the heat or lower the heat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi all, has anyone any tips on how you stop the grill flaming when doing sausages, burgers etc under it? Once they start spitting I'll usually get a few flames then it becomes a game of waiting to see how long I last til I fold and either move them further away from the heat or lower the heat

It's caused by the spitting fat hitting the heat element so, as you discovered, lowering the heat or the grill pan is probably the best way.
    Alternative methods of cooking sausages etc is in the oven or a griddle pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ner tried it but water sprayed on the flames to dampen them down apparently works

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ner tried it but water sprayed on the flames to dampen them down apparently works

There can be significant risks in adding water to a fat fire, given that the water will vaporise, which can increase the level of fat shooting about. In the interests of safety, please do not do this. It might be one thing if you're barbecuing out on the back patio with nothing flammable around you, but in an enclosed grill inside a kitchen, you're asking for trouble.

Please follow gloomtastic's advice above.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some people grill direct on a baking tray or on tinfoil, so the fat falling off the burgers/sausages is sitting in the tray/foil in a pool and so is very close to the grill and easily hits the element.

If you have a deep tray with a high raised grill (as in the grill the food sits on) then the fat will fall down a further distance and be further away from the elments so less likely to flame.

Burgers can sometimes form a pool of fat on top of them too, which could be tipped off into the tray below, or mopped up with kitchen roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is your grill pan clean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Faith wrote: »
    There can be significant risks in adding water to a fat fire, given that the water will vaporise, which can increase the level of fat shooting about. In the interests of safety, please do not do this. It might be one thing if you're barbecuing out on the back patio with nothing flammable around you, but in an enclosed grill inside a kitchen, you're asking for trouble.

Please follow gloomtastic's advice above.

Absolutely, I misread it in that op was grilling outdoors. Whoopsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Absolutely, I misread it in that op was grilling outdoors. Whoopsies.

So did I.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The quality of the sausages can be a factor too. Cheaper ones tend to have a higher fat content and will spit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Cheers lads, think cooler temp seems to be the way forward,. Grill is spotless so I think it's just a fact of the too high temp spitting up and hitting the elements, was just wondering how to avoid this. And to clear things up I was using the Irish vernacular so mean grilling under the grill, not BBQing.

Cheers

Advertisement