Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox near Stillorgan Road/UCD

Options
  • 11-07-2017 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am visiting Dublin for a couple of days and I have just encountered a fox. It was a pretty small animal, with a dark red/brown coat of fur. It was out scavenging for food, I saw it invade a street bin (lumping up to reach into it) and get something edible from it. It did not attempt to attack any people and, while avoiding immediate contact, did not particularly try to escape (pretty much like an alley cat). I fed it - put a piece of meat down, stepped away, the fox approached the place and took the food. A student living in nearly accommodation told me she sees the fox around all the time.

I am not sure - is this normal? I know Ireland does not have rabies, so the fox is probably not a major danger, but is the fox itself endangered? I definitely don't want a pet fox, so if someone needs to remove it that's not me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

There are foxes all over Dublin! I see them often in Drumcondra/Glasnevin. I wouldn't feed them, they're well able to fend for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

There are foxes in St. Stephens Green. They are all over the City. They have been here for hundreds of years. Even with the new wheelie bins, they are continuing to survive

Foxes in the area you mention are too many to count! I lived around there for years and had foxes who crossed my garden at the same time every day, and would be 100% sure of seeing a fox if walking around dusk. They are protected but not endangered. Harmless too but don't try to pet one. Leave them to their business, they're fine.

Btw I had a German housemate who was terrified of the foxes for the rabies reason! I guess it's ingrained. We were walking past a vixen one day who just lay down, crossed her paws and cocked her head. It was adorable. Scared my housemate witless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I know! I am originally from Russia and there, too, city foxes can be dangerous because of rabies. However, because live here for 10 years and now own a dog, I know that rabies don't exist in Ireland. (I learned this from the vet when our dog was bitten by another dog and, of course, this was my big worry - which he promptly dispelled).

Without the fear of rabies, this creature is actually cute. I did a double take when seeing it ("is this what I think it is?!"), then called my son to come see it. He came out after a while, I thought the fox was gone by the time but it shortly returned, as if aware I was searching for it. Which I was, with the intention of feeding it. The b-word actually played its cards exactly right (fitting the stereotype perfectly).

Trying to paste some photos, please inform me if they do not display.

g4SxAncopT5tQIEdYUEELJPRi0heGEADe9Mg9IK2Z3gZVsKD3qGMuO_dAxo5HqtPriB6oyY9-aPc9HI9Fm7aquO6FbTJypvBswV7OzOAqfzioezZ_S0MjeWugVGbM7Up4pE8Sfn44vKM8FGyLKIgh53FfIJD4UvrUghS3jlGtwMyDS34m-tJ69Uj9X2ZS4fyqJnBpx2d5oGQMYGVpIy9KPquvSkJpoF_mkyGsgoIZhSls7L8Om3JcbiEa0BtO2KFfkKOySL0GxRq6kvRTc3_ZKJr1F71iq1qVAU-bQhwcEhJx3FpdrQNpOZyF0C1dmArkLH3zGKCHDA3_HLqN9bKyNKrk5B0kMQ6VHzlegW3tozCGb0NdUStrWGcs-rqvf81jDlRmFpir5I9bq-NyAj17KhR1_ecIOOaGSvQd-LdiGbCzSo9B5g9uDd1hw-CtiGyM5mTv4JByfbXDmD2sK_tIwmvbreAAIvhWW-v8rgcH3sWswbbmylmH2fqnQYcjATtXkFyJA2nP2IalWuKiYRP_sF40usJN7GwlQOqFCaQX3IzUI6Ge23WgWdqG1jUx1tI3CTmU1HbMiw5tkAfl4XMOZBxJe8ymsNp271GCwey8z8_TK82f_qJFgi6=w1002-h547-no

yKp7iqyFqXG4QgqCN6z-OiyuMIcW72WX0k_jTLY_rN0IRXxpLRn6UdUI9JS2ZL6OyewP5pIWYneipT5NOx7Gle_aLIMvEVG21Kb2Isdbj7SEEgIP5_YR5Ln81rRTPWd8z8O775rR2ic4T_1QsvFzqRbxSDJA3vPLExXYJMfqHizh-WlhsvDHigXmTnj7gq427xhVL9uEWH26r2X2XIFTdP8md8YZC5fa6dTzUD1nTvo25wpjQW9efdZH-PSUT2hgGnwXLkI5ie6b_DtzgpejT90T0UVaV41HzBMUsVbqOBlCWdGnoLnWuhvfOXLQkCSNQQHvCyFVND29xQ2weuBTJjV2ZYCNB_3TgzLTqG1MtFecI9ufTo_i3dUzko7oQn1ChIdVSVn2s5uKE5_6CJekn02Omir2kXV4cByCfFBNQEW6griYX0GZuaAdfMtnYUqiW9xrjwGjtVm8GhuPwwk44OhB5FG0LJ9UBFUSVITZ6M_uZ7CbPh6mwk4s4UUrpQlqivW63fHk7JBh3zKZQbdMX-q9C_murhsMtovdKKxo2Q1E2gBUMt0UgKjX-bPljXfFND4lKKHBdMv4Rdk5pyWsrgPEzXfmj1oALc9OgZvXaAR1bfUsbRC7=w1236-h786-no

LA2erJTiozf_HoHOfiDPZ1M3NtUOSgWK-9pjYiykoniglG8wXcQ_UfJyyEW-Svgt4skFzGyTCAL10h4j2LM3AOR09QJXSGdQ7CzXG2pGFIq8XEP8VMbBvCxXM4MnxskgjsDpcmr-HZU_YwGj4BdhdvuyNKzXkiNdKJEUeGbHIXU2HuLK-Y1ZPyte4lwwr2VlAldjOQOZpAueoYXVO8EmH0Qq-FFNXwgbokltocM5tkoFjRIwZxD_FC0_GnzxvNyRD7_niJIF3BVNBhg5BEcoxeBZXF3nIgOfIBnz19EVeDFHTP9DxKhojugawzQhmGvSSiaAkhVbtI9OP24lIeRxu98NEZp9LWMasTadRe-m6CiH76THWKS4oVfzPWC7u2Inid0HdOw5zp_W57b7t1wA_XvH5BSWnlhhRnUDwLcUwMclxYdBasrTVRZfUyOC01cToxzvFM-qMYqJiI7okGwsyIcw5uzrglyKQrtdBsaGUEkgXnPbEsuUhAUBqPImOs41jzrO1erKMZYnZzHh56re5tSqToV6gXMJFHOvCkQt7wdmh6ukhdVlQPYbs80b5TxiVlPdYBw3dg_CmVqES0Cay2OSXmVZ3RXlgirIrwNwuSPPLaYLEUEp=w1108-h732-no

Come to think of it. It is not very big. Its coat is dark-ish, not the bright red often associated with foxes. A cub? I'd appreciate the opinion of someone familiar with foxes. Images of 4 month old cubs have a similar coat, but don't have this kind of really long tail that this one has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mishkashubaly

I used to live in Woodbine House apartments behind the Bank of Ireland/Spar in your pictures, and would see foxes every morning and evening. Pretty sure they were living in the underground car park during the winter. Lovely animals.

Would be plenty living in the grounds of UCD and RTE as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My strangest sighting of an urban fox was outside the Radisson Blu hotel on Golden Lane at about 4:30 in the afternoon during the summer.

Just plodding along, minding his own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MichaelR wrote: »
    but is the fox itself endangered?
    Not particularly. I see some foxes locally, usually at night or very early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hello,

I am visiting Dublin for a couple of days and I have just encountered a fox. It was a pretty small animal, with a dark red/brown coat of fur. It was out scavenging for food, I saw it invade a street bin (lumping up to reach into it) and get something edible from it. It did not attempt to attack any people and, while avoiding immediate contact, did not particularly try to escape (pretty much like an alley cat). I fed it - put a piece of meat down, stepped away, the fox approached the place and took the food. A student living in nearly accommodation told me she sees the fox around all the time.

I am not sure - is this normal? I know Ireland does not have rabies, so the fox is probably not a major danger, but is the fox itself endangered? I definitely don't want a pet fox, so if someone needs to remove it that's not me...

Every single park in Dublin has foxes in them, there's absolutely loads in the city. Don't feed them, they do fine by themselves. Yeah it's perfectly normal, honestly your best bet is just to essentially ignore them, don't go too close, don't feed them, just leave them to it. I've never heard of a fox attacking anyone in the city.

Thanks for all the explanations! All right, I get it, these foxes are normal and fine. And we fed it because we wanted to have fun. The fox played its part by being cute and walking around in good view, so every side got a good deal. I wonder why my photos got removed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Foxes in Marino, and Clontarf even in the more built up parts away from St Annes ... used to be two around East Point but haven't seen them for a while... I remember seeing one eyeing up a heron before thinking better of it.

I can tell when one is out the back as the seagulls react to it... they don't mind cats but the fox sets them on red alert.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement