Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi - any good?

• 11-07-2017 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭

hi
    I was gifted a used nuvi with 3.5 " display,probably a few years old.

I'm just wondering is it worthwhile setting up or is it likely obsolete thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It really depends on whether updating the maps is going to cost you anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Thanks

How would it compare to Google maps on a smartphone

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I find a dedicated unit better. Too much going on with the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, your biggest issue is probably gong to be battery life. As with mobile phones, the battery capacity diminishes over time so that unit may not last very long in the car unless you have a power cable to feed it.

On the maps, for most parts of the country (especially rural areas), an out of date map is not a big issue, until you use it for route planning. Map updates don't simply give you new motorways and bypasses, they also reflect new rules on one-way streets in large towns and cities and these can be important if you ask the unit to plan a route for you and guide you to your destination. I'd advise you not to use a unit with out of date maps for navigation in towns and cities or there is a danger that it will send you the wrong way down a one-way street!

Advertisement