Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW I3 test result

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

unkel wrote: »
    Yes you can. They start under £40k, so under €46k plus a few grand VRT and then the cost of bringing it over. Around the €50k mark landed.

I'm just waiting for 2018. Should bring prices down further... especially when model 3 is released. Either that or buy a house. Damned priorities :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

You can get another 140 odd Kms according to the estimated range for the Rex on the dash.

The petrol tank is about 7-8 litres if I remember correctly, if you were worried you could carry a can in the boot but I wouldn't bother.

Sounds good. I take it that the petrol is used in some way to generate electricity as opposed to an ice engine?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Sounds good. I take it that the petrol is used in some way to generate electricity as opposed to an ice engine?

I'm confused. The REX version of the car has been reviewed by many websites, also video reviews on Youtube. These explain everything you are asking about the car. You could find out all this information yourself with a few minutes google searching.

TBi wrote: »
    I'm confused. The REX version of the car has been reviewed by many websites, also video reviews on Youtube. These explain everything you are asking about the car. You could find out all this information yourself with a few minutes google searching.

Thanks. I will check it out myself.

unkel wrote: »
    Yes you can. They start under £40k, so under €46k plus a few grand VRT and then the cost of bringing it over. Around the €50k mark landed.

How much can you get a new model S in Ireland ?

gooner99 wrote: »

Yes the rex is used to generate electricity and it does not drive the wheels, It was specially developed by another company for BMW and is about 94% efficient I've read on I3 forums.

Yes the rex is used to generate electricity and it does not drive the wheels, It was specially developed by another company for BMW and is about 94% efficient I've read on I3 forums.

Thanks Mad_Lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How much can you get a new model S in Ireland ?

Seriously, are you unable to Google that? €84.3k, 75kWh, 0-100km/h in 4.6s, 480km NEDC range

Linky

€50k, even €40k is madness for an i3 when we will be able to get a Model 3 cheaper than that. I for one am most looking forward to the BEV 3-series announcement though. I'd much rather buy a BMW than a Tesla BEV :D

• Advertisement

You were saying you could get a model s for the cost of an new i3 Rex but you meant 2nd hand but you can also get a 2nd hand 60 ah Rex i3 for 14 k pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Going for a smaller test drive in one tomorrow, and bringing 4 year old with car seat in tow to see how practical it all is. Again it'll be a REX, but I'd be more interested in a BEV. Anything I should really look for in a short test to give me a surprise positive or negative opinion of the car; or should I just go with an open mind, treat it as a normal car and see how it all goes?

If coming from ICE then it's far from normal.

Don't use any power saving modes and just have a bit of fun in it. It's a lot of fun especially on back roads.

Joe Duffy motors have a White pretty basic 33 Kwh newer battery Rex for 40 K 161 reg, that's the one I test drove, the drivers door speaker is broken, doubt they have it sold, they have a Black one with the older battery I think for 35 K.

Don't bother playing with menu's and all that just enjoy the drive.

If the leaf II does have nearly 150 HP that's a decent power upgrade so it might be worth considering for a lot less money and the pro pilot might, just might actually be worth having. It still won't be as much fun as the I3.

Right so:

Pros :
    The acceleration is brilliant
    The feeling of space inside
    Visibility for kid in the back, daughter was delighted with her view.
    Quality feel.

Cons:
    Noticed a really disconcerting wobble at the 120kmh and above mark. Very unsettling, car felt unstable.
    Price new is just unjustifiable. €52k, reduced to €42k after grants, for a mid specced BEV is just far too high for still a compromise car.

So import or just chuck a deposit on a model 3 and save for next 3 years???

Patser wrote: »

Cons:
    Noticed a really disconcerting wobble at the 120kmh and above mark. Very unsettling, car felt unstable

That’s not normal. We have one which goes on motorway sometimes and it’s never been unstable.

I never noticed instability at 120 or 140 even for the short time I drove like that, perhaps I might say that at higher speeds it may have a hint of over steer but I didn't drive it that long at that speed to pay much attention.

• Advertisement

I never noticed instability at 120 or 140 even for the short time I drove like that, perhaps I might say that at higher speeds it may have a hint of over steer but I didn't drive it that long at that speed to pay much attention.

Maybe that's a better description of what I felt, or possibly it was some sort of buffering effect (I was passing artics). However the car steering definitely went very light and I could feel a wobble come across the whole car. It was very distinct and made me ease right off.

Maybe coming from a big, heavy lowish car made me more aware of it, but it was a big negative for me.

Or could have been a wheel balancing issue either perhaps ? some out of balancing issues are really felt at higher speeds.

Or could have been a wheel balancing issue either perhaps ? some out of balancing issues are really felt at higher speeds.

No, wasn't in the wheels, and no shudder through the steering wheel. Just the car itself seemed to wobble a fair bit, like body roll with steering going a bit vague. Almost like car was lifting off the road.

the I3 is a high narrow car, so maybe it was a cross wind I hit or as I said buffeting from an artic. Honestly can't tell if its a recurring problem as I eased back to 100, the effect stopped and I didn't push on again. Could have been coincidental bad timing.

Not sure mate, didn't spend much time at all at higher speeds. It was some craic on the roads in Galway that's for sure. Over taking was fun and you could get out a lot easier than in the Leaf where I'd have to wait for a much longer gap. Plenty of back roads here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

That’s not normal. We have one which goes on motorway sometimes and it’s never been unstable.

+1

I moved from the 5 series to the i3 and found them both just as stable.

• Advertisement

So I test drove another i3 today, because I'm smitten and trying to make the finances work...

But here's a question, it had i assume a granny cable in the boot - standard 3 pin plug with some sort of box on it etc. Is that also for fast charging or AC charging at home, or do I need to get other cables or should there be other cables included as standard.

It was a DC prepped car. I'm also looking at a home charge point that'll have a built on cable. But just for my own reference - how many cables do you need, and what should be included with the car normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

So I test drove another i3 today, because I'm smitten and trying to make the finances work...

But here's a question, it had i assume a granny cable in the boot - standard 3 pin plug with some sort of box on it etc. Is that also for fast charging or AC charging at home, or do I need to get other cables or should there be other cables included as standard.

It was a DC prepped car. I'm also looking at a home charge point that'll have a built on cable. But just for my own reference - how many cables do you need, and what should be included with the car normally.

You get the granny evse and another blue coiled type2 cable for AC charging up to 32a. You'd need that for any charging on an scp or if your home charger isn't tethered.
    Both should come with the car. Check the frunk.

And you don't need anything for fast charging. All fast chargers have the cable attached at their end (tethered), so that you can plug it straight into your car, without the annoyance of having to take your own cable out.

So what did you think of it ? great drive isn't it ?

So what did you think of it ? great drive isn't it ?

Yep, the acceleration is just addictive. And nice drive. Still having nagging doubts about its size and rear door set up.

But the silent acceleration hehehehe!

Yep, the acceleration is just addictive. And nice drive. Still having nagging doubts about its size and rear door set up.

Acceleration is great and should be a lot better in the S version due by the end of the year I think or early 2018.

Size for me is fine when most of my driving is a 141 Km commute. Plenty of room for 2 toddlers and buggy, not large buggy like Icandy , I didn't try a smaller buggy and it worked, I think I posted pics a few pages before.

Doors are odd but I've to get out to get the boys in and out anyway so that doesn't bother me.

Acceleration is great and should be a lot better in the S version due by the end of the year I think or early 2018.

Size for me is fine when most of my driving is a 141 Km commute. Plenty of room for 2 toddlers and buggy, not large buggy like Icandy , I didn't try a smaller buggy and it worked, I think I posted pics a few pages before.

Doors are odd but I've to get out to get the boys in and out anyway so that doesn't bother me.

Ssshhh, I can barely afford a 2nd hand I3 as it is without you telling me all about the S

Ssshhh, I can barely afford a 2nd hand I3 as it is without you telling me all about the S

That's what car loans are for. And who needs two livers anyway...

That's what car loans are for. And who needs two livers anyway...

You have 2 livers? Greedy bugger, most of us only have 1, and on my case I've already stressed it enough over the years that that too will get a crap trade in value v

Check out PCP deals, can usually mean much cheaper monthly payments depending on how much deposit you pay.

I think I was quoted 600 PM with 10K dep on a 162 Rex, but, it was a bit low spec for me, can't get a high spec one in Ireland so I might consider the S BEV only but high spec will be expensive. In the End I might just end up with a leaf at least the power boost should make a nice difference, it will have more range than the I3, breaking 200 Km barrier would be nice. 250 Odd even nicer so that might ultimately be the deciding factor for getting the updated Leaf. I just wish Nissan had a proper quality stereo option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

You'll get that in all EVs.

Soarer wrote: »
    You'll get that in all EVs.

But not so much fun ! :D at least in something for the price. + the handling is pretty good.

When I drove out of Joe Duffy Motors after returning the I3 I nearly drove into the roundabout because the I3 steering was so sharp and direct the Leaf felt like it had tonnes of understeer and I had to quickly learn to readjust :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

The benefits of RWD....

And it being a BMW :D

Haven't owned a BMW myself in exactly a year now. Must do something about that soon.

It's more to do with the Chassis and steering. RWD is great though.

I did find the I3 surprisingly limited from 0 though, that didn't impress me, so it kinda would be hard to spin the wheels at that rate but even so , grip is plenty.

I think it's known to not be the quickest right off the mark? As in 0-10km/h? This is software controlled. Also, the traction control could be limiting the power to the driven wheels when traction is not perfect. This happens to Ioniq a lot. Skinny EV economy tyres don't help here either...

Those tyres manufacturers put on don't tend to be the best for grip but do make a difference to fuel consumption, the EC300's that came on the Leaf were good in the dry but dangerous in the wet.

The Dunlop Sport BluResponse I have now are excellent in the wet with some sacrifice on dry road, I can live with that a lot easier. And they're a pretty quiet tyre but I don't think they're as good for rolling resistance, again , I can live with that compared to having very poor wet grip, it made pulling out at round-a-bouts and junctions in the wet a right pain in the ass.

BMW decreased torque on acceleration to protect the drivetrain, I believe Cross mentioned it used to lift a wheel ? and it was known to damage motor mounts. Possibly helped by AWD.

That's why I said it didn't give me the wow feeling coming from a Leaf until after 80 Kph when I really started smiling, and over taking on the Galway roads was a breeze even at higher speeds made the whole process a lot safer and less stressful. The S should be better.

I really put the boot down in the Leaf these days , If I suffer battery degradation I'd say it's half down to my hard driving, I bet I drive a lot harder than most EV owners.

Here are the specs for the I3 acceleration for the S V I3, not a huge difference by any means, pity they didn't boost power to 200-250 HP.

0-37 mph: 3.7 s (i3s) vs 3.8 s (i3)

0-62 mph: 6.9 s (i3s) vs 7.3 s (i3)

50-75 mph: 4.3 s (i3s) vs 5.1 s (i3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Here are the specs for the I3 acceleration for the S V I3, not a huge difference by any means, pity they didn't boost power to 200-250 HP.

0-37 mph: 3.7 s (i3s) vs 3.8 s (i3)

0-62 mph: 6.9 s (i3s) vs 7.3 s (i3)

50-75 mph: 4.3 s (i3s) vs 5.1 s (i3)

50-75mph in 4.3s

Is impressive, great overtaking power

I had a Mazda 3 Mps that would do it in 3.5s ( spec sheet) and it was an animal for overtaking

• Advertisement

I drove the MPS a few years ago and it was good only the Chassis couldn't really take the power, at least not on my local roads, I wasn't impressed, it felt a bit unsettled but yeah, great over taking punch, the I3 would do it instantly though, fine if the MPS was already in gear with revs up, but you stil got to change gears and that alone will make it feel laggy compared to the I3.

If you haven't already you should get a good test drive in the I3 where you can take it on familiar roads and have some fun.

I drove the MPS a few years ago and it was good only the Chassis couldn't really take the power, at least not on my local roads, I wasn't impressed, it felt a bit unsettled but yeah, great over taking punch, the I3 would do it instantly though, fine if the MPS was already in gear with revs up, but you stil got to change gears and that alone will make it feel laggy compared to the I3.

If you haven't already you should get a good test drive in the I3 where you can take it on familiar roads and have some fun.

That is true, good straight line car when on boost, gear box wasn't great either.

Thought chassis was quite good, just the fwd couldn't take 260bhp+, was always fighting for grip

Could easily be caught out of boost too, like all smallish turbo petrols

Don't think i will get a spin in I3

Will take new Leaf out, should be a great little thing 150bhp, its going to sell very well and will be quick imo.

For the price the I3 needs to be alot better imo, would be expecting model 3 stats for the cash involved.

Can get a 2nd hand I3 either, but Obviously won't get the S and it's impossible to get, as usual, a high spec in Ireland.

The 150 HP Leaf should make a good difference but I hear only SV Premium is available at launch in February, meaning probably end of March for SVE.

I may end up with a cheaper Rex from 2015 either, 21 Kwh , still get me to work and home on leccy with the work charger and have the Rex for the occasional long trip, this seams like the ideal solution right now. Be cheaper than a new Leaf until the MK II is released. I don't really want to keep the 24 Kwh any longer really. Unless Joe Duffy motors does a good deal on a 2016 33 Kwh Rex which as of a few months ago would still cost me 600 PM with 10 K down.

What I really want is something to get me through 2018 that's a lot more fun and the I3 Rex ticks all the boxes , it's got the fun factor and the ability to take me anywhere.

I could also get a high spec one in the U.K.

At least getting a Loan will mean I don't have to get myself into another 2-3 year PCP contract, though having said that I am sure I can upgrade in 2019 regardless if I'm a year or two in contract but I wouldn't want to be buying new.

I really don't want to have to wait until March for a Leaf and I really don't care about Pro Pilot in it's current form, yes it would be handy but I want more fun.

Can get a 2nd hand I3 either, but Obviously won't get the S and it's impossible to get, as usual, a high spec in Ireland.

The 150 HP Leaf should make a good difference but I hear only SV Premium is available at launch in February, meaning probably end of March for SVE.

I may end up with a cheaper Rex from 2015 either, 21 Kwh , still get me to work and home on leccy with the work charger and have the Rex for the occasional long trip, this seams like the ideal solution right now. Be cheaper than a new Leaf until the MK II is released. I don't really want to keep the 24 Kwh any longer really. Unless Joe Duffy motors does a good deal on a 2016 33 Kwh Rex which as of a few months ago would still cost me 600 PM with 10 K down.

What I really want is something to get me through 2018 that's a lot more fun and the I3 Rex ticks all the boxes , it's got the fun factor and the ability to take me anywhere.

I could also get a high spec one in the U.K.

At least getting a Loan will mean I don't have to get myself into another 2-3 year PCP contract, though having said that I am sure I can upgrade in 2019 regardless if I'm a year or two in contract but I wouldn't want to be buying new.

I really don't want to have to wait until March for a Leaf and I really don't care about Pro Pilot in it's current form, yes it would be handy but I want more fun.

Joe Duffy will have to do better than that

You can get used model S for 600pm/10k down and free supercharging

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used

Not a hope they will, remember cars are cheaper in the U.K anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not a hope they will, remember cars are cheaper in the U.K anyway.

I though EVs were cheaper here new, with the government grants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Soarer wrote: »
    I though EVs were cheaper here new, with the government grants?
    Yes but you still pay VRT on a model S as it's over the 5k grant.
    EG: If revenue decide a model S's OMSP is 100k you will pay 9k VRT.

Not a hope of getting a model S for €600 a month. If you could, I'd have one already!!! lol.
    Current figures leaning towards the 900/month figure (depending on how much you put down). Putting down €10k gets you a €1100/month S75D.

Second hand you can negotiate a price but even the 2014 cars are still north of £40k, and VRT to be added aswell.

With an i3 Rex, you will also have to pay VRT as the OMSP is still high and you don't get the full grant as it has a Rex.

The only EV where VRT is free are the likes of Leaf/Ioniq/Zoe

The Government should have eliminated VRT altogether on electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

The Government should have eliminated VRT altogether on electrics.

Can’t agree with that. For once an ordinary Joe can get a reasonably priced car and take advantage of a tax break. If you can afford to purchase a 100k car then the last thing you need is a tax break on it.

I remember back in ‘08 people with the means went and purchased a new BMW 5xxd or Lexus Hybrid to take advantage of the low road tax, while family man in his older 7 seater was left there to get shafted on the old rate for a long time (with many people still there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Orebro wrote: »
    Can’t agree with that. For once an ordinary Joe can get a reasonably priced car and take advantage of a tax break. If you can afford to purchase a 100k car then the last thing you need is a tax break on it.

I remember back in ‘08 people with the means went and purchased a new BMW 5xxd or Lexus Hybrid to take advantage of the low road tax, while family man in his older 7 seater was left there to get shafted on the old rate for a long time (with many people still there)

It's farcical though as we have VRT (supposedly emissions based) and some EVs have to pay, and then motor tax (again supposedly emissions based) yet all EV have to pay.

The man affected by the VRT is not so much the guy buying a new model, as much as the man buying a 2014-2015 model from the UK. The guy buying a new one is less likely to be "making the figures work", compared to the guy importing a used one.

Orebro wrote: »

Its purpose is not to do the rich man a favour, it is to get him to buy a zero emissions car instead of a BMW / Audi / Mercedes diesel.

I'm all in favour of zero VRT and zero motor tax on any EV, even a 200k top of the range Model X

• Advertisement
Advertisement