Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly Advised by Threshold

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I meant that you are expecting the Airbnb LLs to move to long term tenancies and I'm saying that's a risk that many will not take due to the power tenants have once they get part4 rights.

Sorry I mustn't of been clear. From my experience landlords are in the dark for the most part that the tenants are listing rooms or whole properties on Air BnB.

People aren't sharing, they are putting the spare room on Air BnB.

Sorry to repeat my experience, but in my last property two girls took a two bed property at a viewing. A week later the whole 2 bed was on Air BnB including the kitchen/living area.

The girls didn't live three they listed the 2 bed as three individual units on Air BnB.

This is what I'm against.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Sorry I mustn't of been clear. From my experience landlords are in the dark for the most part that the tenants are listing rooms or whole properties on Air BnB.

People aren't sharing, they are putting the spare room on Air BnB.

Sorry to repeat my experience, but in my last property two girls took a two bed property at a viewing. A week later the whole 2 bed was on Air BnB including the kitchen/living area.

The girls didn't live three they listed the 2 bed as three individual units on Air BnB.

This is what I'm against.

Ok I get you now.

I was referring to actual owners letting their properties on Airbnb while you are talking about long term tenants letting properties on Airbnb.

Overall I'd expect the latter to be a small percentage with most properties on Airbnb being let by their actual owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Ok I get you now.

I was referring to actual owners letting their properties on Airbnb while you are talking about long term tenants letting properties on Airbnb.

Overall I'd expect the latter to be a small percentage with most properties on Airbnb being let by their actual owners.

I don't think so, if you view the properties on Air BnB they are all young 20 somethings. Not to stereotype but they don't own the properties.

I'm specifically talking about Dublin City Centre. Once you move outside it will be more owner occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Its not a perfect system- hell, its dysfunctional in the extreme- however, from the little the OP has told us- it sounds like they should never have bothered pursuing a case in the first instance.

That's it. In retrospect I should have know that eventually I couldn't afford to continue the tenancy indefinitely given spiraling market rent increases no matter what case I brought against them. To be fair to my Landlord (agency) they gave me even more than the 90 days notice.

Threshold is needlessly antagonistic towards some landlords- and assists in fighting cases that really shouldn't have resources assigned to them- but they fight them in the expectation that landlords will cave in when they hear that Threshold are involved (or a threat that the tenant will go to the media etc etc).

That's what I feel too. If I was advised to talk to the agency to come to a compromise I would have done that too. But I was advised go to the RTB.

Having said that to be fair to Threshold in the first instance they advised me well because I had a rent review inside the 24 month restriction. In fact they agency did it twice. So its no wonder I followed Thresholds instructions to the end.

Not every case- is a good case to fight- one should choose their fights carefully.

Yes in retrospect I should have cut my losses and moved on when I seen the way the wind was blowing.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    As you say I don't know the details of the case but in the current crisis, it seems crazy that the RTB would approve a 65% increase.

The reason for this is that the apartment I rented was initially priced at a rate well below market rates at the time due to the fact that the apt block was taken over by nama. It was subsequently bought by a private enterprise. So not only was the rent increased to what it should be at the time I began tenancy it was increased further because of rapidly rising market rents.

I was only mouthing off then I said in my OP that I would sue Threshold. I have no intention of doing any such thing. I've had enough of that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

This is bordering on conspiracy theory when the core issue is a lack of supply. The government could do more to increase supply but they're not deliberately trying to hold it back either.

I disagree........when you look at government policies like 0% capital gains tax for keeping properties vacant for five years it's not really a conspiracy theory just fact.

"If the funds purchase and hold property for a five-year period they are exempt from capital gains tax"

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0622/884647-five-year-capital-gains-tax-exemption/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

beauf wrote: »
    Who will you take it to?

The District or Circuit Court maybe? If the OP has suffered a loss because of the advice of somebody then he may be able to Sue! The OP would be advised to go to a solicitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The District or Circuit Court maybe? If the OP has suffered a loss because of the advice of somebody then he may be able to Sue! The OP would be advised to go to a solicitor.

They are a voluntary advocacy group, founded by a Catholic priest under the auspices of the Pax Christi international organisation- who are registered as a charity, and with the exception of a handful of posts which are publicly funded (I think by Pobal)- they are staffed by volunteers.

The OP might have been advised to go to a solicitor in the first instance- however, who is to say whether the solicitor were to tell him whether, or not, he had a case at all.........

As it stands- the OP has exhausted his/her RTB dispute and appeal options. The only reason to refer this further- is on a point of law- and without having any knowledge of the case- there is no indication that this approach would achieve any different result than has the process thus far.

The OP- by their own admission, was letting off steam in their first post.
    There is no merit in flogging a dead horse.

They are a voluntary advocacy group, founded by a Catholic priest under the auspices of the Pax Christi international organisation- who are registered as a charity, and with the exception of a handful of posts which are publicly funded (I think by Pobal)- they are staffed by volunteers.

The OP might have been advised to go to a solicitor in the first instance- however, who is to say whether the solicitor were to tell him whether, or not, he had a case at all.........

As it stands- the OP has exhausted his/her RTB dispute and appeal options. The only reason to refer this further- is on a point of law- and without having any knowledge of the case- there is no indication that this approach would achieve any different result than has the process thus far.

The OP- by their own admission, was letting off steam in their first post.
    There is no merit in flogging a dead horse.

If a charity gives incorrect advice they are open to a civil case been brought against them.

Example St Johns Ambulance are at a even a person is injured and during the treatment the make a mess of it then they may be on the hook for a negligence claim. Charity status is not a defence if a orgainisation holds itself out as a expert in a area and any advice causes the person who receives it a loss.

While a solicitor may say there is or is no case to put the OP's mind at rest. It must also be remembered that both Threshold and any Solicitor will have insurance to cover negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

beauf wrote: »
    We have probably the worse housing crisis and shortage in the history of the state.

Has the govt done anything to increase supply. Have their actions had the effect of decrease supply, or inflate the cost?

I struggle to see how they could do less...

The government responds to the electorate (otherwise they get voted out).

The government is getting mixed signals from the electorate in this respect.

One part of the electorate is saying
    - we want more housing supply.

On the other hand the electorate is saying - landlords are d*cks; rich people cant be seen to get soft treatment.

If you want more housing supply - the obvious way to do it is to encourage landlords to rent out their properties, as opposed to for example AirBnB, or indeed as opposed to leaving them empty as a lot of Landlords do.

However Landlords are not encouraged to do this; they are discouraged to do it by the massive taxes on rent, and the red tape/ bureaucracy and potential liability associated with Housing Assistance tenants.

But that's not what the electorate encourages.

As ever, Government - easy target. Landlords - easy scapegoat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If a charity gives incorrect advice they are open to a civil case been brought against them.

Example St Johns Ambulance are at a even a person is injured and during the treatment the make a mess of it then they may be on the hook for a negligence claim. Charity status is not a defence if a orgainisation holds itself out as a expert in a area and any advice causes the person who receives it a loss.

While a solicitor may say there is or is no case to put the OP's mind at rest. It must also be remembered that both Threshold and any Solicitor will have insurance to cover negligence.

Threshold aren't held by anyone to be an expert in Property Law.
    Indeed- it is widely known that they offer advice which is contrary to the Residential Tenancies Act- to tenants.
    They are a tenant advocacy group- while they will offer advice if it is sought- they are 100% definitely not experts.

If anyone wants an expert legal opinion- they go to a solicitor.

• Advertisement

Threshold aren't held by anyone to be an expert in Property Law.
    Indeed- it is widely known that they offer advice which is contrary to the Residential Tenancies Act- to tenants.
    They are a tenant advocacy group- while they will offer advice if it is sought- they are 100% definitely not experts.

If anyone wants an expert legal opinion- they go to a solicitor.

If threshold hold themselves out to offer advice and a persons acts on that advice and the advice was incorrect then if the person suffers a loss they may have a case. As I said if they want to know they would be advised to seek proper legal advice.

Advertisement