Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strimmer instead of lawnmower

Options
  • 12-07-2017 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

i have a tiny backgarden (about 6m sq) and i was looking at getting a strimmer for cutting the lawn instead of a lawnmower. i would get a lawnmower but our shed is tiny and it'd take up too much space. but would a strimer do a nice job of the lawn or would it make a bollix of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

i have a tiny backgarden (about 6m sq) and i was looking at getting a strimmer for cutting the lawn instead of a lawnmower. i would get a lawnmower but our shed is tiny and it'd take up too much space. but would a strimer do a nice job of the lawn or would it make a bollix of it?

I wouldn't anyway
    Will be uneven and not great for it in general
    Much more likely to take clumps of grass and generate bare spots

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A bit radical, but have you considered a scythe? Stores to nothing, quick to use and can cut the grass down to similar levels as a mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A bit radical, but have you considered a scythe? Stores to nothing, quick to use and can cut the grass down to similar levels as a mower.

be good for halloween too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Get a Push Cylinder Mower - need sharpening annually by someone who knows what they are doing - takes up little space - gives a superior finish than hovers or rotary - keeps you fit(ter)! 6sm you could possibly do it all standing in one position.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Get a Push Cylinder Mower - need sharpening annually by someone who knows what they are doing - takes up little space - gives a superior finish than hovers or rotary - keeps you fit(ter)! 6sm you could possibly do it all standing in one position.

That's great advice !
    Never even thought of that myself . That's the solution OP
    And ya will pick one up for under 50 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cylinder mowers are great. You can sharpen it yourself with some special accessories. See here.

Failing the above, get yourself a Flymo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

There are some really small electric ones, I used to use a basic flymo hover mower for a similar size space and will take up as much space as a push mower in a shed. i also used a push mower and they are fine but can be more awkward around kerbing etc I found. A strimmers will never have it looking right

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

thanks for all the advice. im leaning towards the cylinder mower now...or the flymo. off too b&q anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

thanks for all the advice. im leaning towards the cylinder mower now...or the flymo. off too b&q anyway!

I use a strimmer on my tiny lawn..... it came free with a dishwasher over 30 yrs ago. Still does good work despite two new ones. It makes neat job of edges with option to rotate cutting edge. If you get into a rhythm and adjust length of handle to your height, should be no chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

GrumpyMe wrote: »

these come up all the time in Aldi & Lidl. I got one 2 yrs ago from my garden. I have about 110sq m of lawn between front & back and use it every 4-5 days keeping it short. They are easy to use and as mentioned keep you fitter aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Get a very small sheep...

Advertisement