Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driving convictions nearly 20 yrs ago

Options
  • 12-07-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me please. I have two drink driving convictions going back to 1999 and 2000 and was wondering do i still need to declare them for insurance. They are still stamped on my 10 year licence which expires next year.

I was searching for info and came across spent convictions which expire after 7 years but because i have two of them they wont expire?? Does anyone know do i still need to declare them for insurance purposes?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I was convicted of Dangerous driving over 10 years ago, reduced to careless on appeal.

As it is now over 7 years old it's gone/spent.

i imagine you should be the same.

I declared it to my employers and the insurers weren't interested as it was over the 10 year mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

One of my friends was convicted of drink driving 20 years ago, he paid 10k for his insurance every year for 5 years, then it finally dropped off, I think he's paying what everyone else is paying these days.

One of my friends was convicted of drink driving 20 years ago, he paid 10k for his insurance every year for 5 years, then it finally dropped off, I think he's paying what everyone else is paying these days.

What was he driving? An artic? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

What was he driving? An artic? :confused:

Nope, crashed a car drunk. Only one insurance company in the country would insure him- can't remember the name of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

CTD is correct after 7 years they are classed as spent and you do not need to disclose them.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/spent_convictions.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

It's a dangerous game not disclosing previous convictions.

It's not up to people to decide what they do and do not declare.

If you are asked have you ever had any convictions then if you have, you should answer yes.

They will then take details of the claims and once they are happy they are spent then they will quote.

Insurers will use alot of things to get out of claims and checking for previous convictions is top of the list.

If you don't declare them at inception then that implies you are trying to hide something.

I would strongly suggest disclosing them if you are asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Im open to correction on this but i think there a statute of limitations thing with your previous convictions wereby after a certain number of years(i thought it was 5 but could be 7),they cannot be used against you,i also think you can send your licence back in and get it "cleaned".as i say im open to correction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Whatever about the loading removal after 7 years the obligation to disclose will still be there possibly.

Whatever about the loading removal after 7 years the obligation to disclose will still be there possibly.

My employers insurers said it was irrelevant in my case at 10 years old.

While every case is different,10 years appears to be the limit for such disclosures for insurers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My employers insurers said it was irrelevant in my case at 10 years old.

While every case is different,10 years appears to be the limit for such disclosures for insurers.

If the question is "Have you ever had any convictions or disqualifications...."
    then surely you have to answer that correctly regardless if the answer affects the underwriting or not?

• Advertisement

If the question is "Have you ever had any convictions or disqualifications...."
    then surely you have to answer that correctly regardless if the answer affects the underwriting or not?

I did answer it truthfully.

They said no problem.

It had to go to the underwriter before approval was given.

They wanted to know the type of conviction, the penalty, endorsements etc.

Long story short, i was convicted, but got nothing other than a fine.

No points, disqualification,endorsement, nothing!

Advertisement