Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lack of "big" events in Limerick

• 12-07-2017 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Curious as to why this is still the case. Take for example the Ed Sheeran gigs. Now i have no interest in Ed, or his music but there is 9 concerts in Ireland next year and not one in Limerick.

There is not one decent festival throughout the year ( not counting Riverfest as I think it is well and truly past its sell by date and is really poor as a flagship festival....this year included), the gigs in the Milk Market and King Johns castle can hardly be counted as major events ( The Coronas and Hermitage Green are hardly big superstars and have played here loads).

It is not a lack of venues - Thomond Park, Gaelic Grounds, King Johns etc. Its 2013 since there was last a decent name in Thomond. (Bruce Springsteen - full house)

Any input into what the problem is? Is it a lack of interest from thomond Park and others, lack of interest from promoters like Aiken and MCD, or is it just the lack of the council /ano being able to sell the city as a destination or being supportive of this kind of event?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Too many 10 millions for the city to handle

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The trouble of being half way between Cork and Galway, I reckon. One covers the south, the other the West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If there was enough demand and money to be made from it then I think it would be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

To be fair, Kasabian played the Milk Market a few years ago, and went on to headline Glastonbury a few weeks later! Primal Scream played the same venue last year. Both were great gigs! Imelda May was in King Johns last year too. But, I know what you mean in that we're not really getting big "mainstream" acts (not that I'd personally have any interest in going to most of them). I guess that it's down to the promoters, as in the case of Kasabian and Primal Scream, it was Dolans who organised them. I'm guessing it's the likes of MCD/Aiken who would be responsible for Ed Sheeran/Coldplay/etc., and it appears that they don't see a market in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

To be fair, Kasabian played the Milk Market a few years ago, and went on to headline Glastonbury a few weeks later! Primal Scream played the same venue last year. Both were great gigs! Imelda May was in King Johns last year too. But, I know what you mean in that we're not really getting big "mainstream" acts (not that I'd personally have any interest in going to most of them). I guess that it's down to the promoters, as in the case of Kasabian and Primal Scream, it was Dolans who organised them. I'm guessing it's the likes of MCD/Aiken who would be responsible for Ed Sheeran/Coldplay/etc., and it appears that they don't see a market in Limerick.

But yet they sell out thomond for Bruce Springsteen and did very well in the likes of pink, Elton John etc. The only real dud in thomond was Bob Dylan which was an appalling gig anyway. He was really bad and generally is live these days. Was at primal scream and enjoyed it but it was a Tuesday night in the freezing depths of winter.. outdoors. Wouldn't go again to something like that tbh. Imelda may is not a big event...nor is Gavin James or the saw doctors. Not taking away from Dolan's efforts.

I'm not just talking about concerts though, there is no festival of note, no real events of note. Even Waterford has bigger events.

How do people expect to get tourists/ people to Limerick if there is absolutely nothing on. Even the Gaelic grounds is bypassed for major Gaa games...and with pairc ui caoimh now done that will only get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

vkid wrote: »
    But yet they sell out thomond for Bruce Springsteen and did very well in the likes of pink, Elton John etc. The only real dud in thomond was Bob Dylan which was an appalling gig anyway. He was really bad and generally is live these days. Was at primal scream and enjoyed it but it was a Tuesday night in the freezing depths of winter.. outdoors. Wouldn't go again to something like that tbh. Imelda may is not a big event...nor is Gavin James or the saw doctors. Not taking away from Dolan's efforts.

I'm not just talking about concerts though, there is no festival of note, no real events of note. Even Waterford has bigger events.

How do people expect to get tourists/ people to Limerick if there is absolutely nothing on. Even the Gaelic grounds is bypassed for major Gaa games...and with pairc ui caoimh now done that will only get worse.

The simple fact of the matter is if the promoters think they will make money they will do it. Gigs in Limerick are seen as too much of a risk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Gaelic Grounds needs a huge amount of work to bring it up to standard, or at least the old stand side does. I did a lot of stewarding there when I was younger and it was always nuts. The stiles and passageway and toilet facilities were passed their use-by date a while back.

vkid wrote:

Again, not focussing on just gigs. If for example riverfest is the height of limericks ambitions then it really is all the one...or maybe that's just me. Riverfest in Dublin is a much younger festival and yet a huge step above a fairground and a few food stalls in Arthur's quay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I was at a gig in Trinity College the other night.Very good set up and not huge could easily be done here

Dolans have too much control or say in Limerick events.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »

Who else is doing anything to bring in the talent though? You make it sound like they're some sort of evil monopoly, but they do a fine job with the acts they do bring in.

Flannery's new place might start to give them a bit of competition when it's ready.

They do a good job but the milk market and johns castle should be have more gigs in them for the summer months
    They are good well in with local authority.I know this because people i know had an event all ready to go and it was pulled last minute make of that what you will.
    Yes Flannerys might be a good option suppose they are copying Dolans warehouse idea.Jerry Flannery is involed in joe.ie and i notice they are pushing alot of irish artists on there sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

But, I know what you mean in that we're not really getting big "mainstream" acts (not that I'd personally have any interest in going to most of them)

Not many international alternative acts show up here either. Frightened Rabbit were fantastic though and Future Islands was a good coup. However more should be added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

When it comes to events and entertainment Limerick is a pretty boring city in comparison to the others.

You only have to look at the backslapping after Riverfest this year to see how low the barrier is set.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Let's not forget Pig N Porter this weekend. Spread across Old Crescent and UL this year. Draws people from around the country & abroad.

Let's not forget Pig N Porter this weekend. Spread across Old Crescent and UL this year. Draws people from around the country & abroad.

Hardly a big event though is it?

Exeggcute wrote:
    You only have to look at the backslapping after Riverfest this year to see how low the barrier is set.

Exactly. Is that the limit of what Limerick can expect? A fun fair and a few food stalls..and a fashion show in a shopping center. Its village fete type standard. Its very poor for a city of limericks size and it's all there is?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

I think riverfest would be finished by now if it weren't for the great limerick run. I guess the half way between cork and Galway is an issue also. Limerick national culture city with the big granny was a success. We just need lots of money and low risk for the outsider entrepreneurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

Did the Gaelic Grounds not get permission ( circa 2009) for large scale summer concerts, and never held one? Residents problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

topcat72 wrote: »
    Did the Gaelic Grounds not get permission ( circa 2009) for large scale summer concerts, and never held one? Residents problems?

Same reasons Thomond Park doesnt have any gigs, promoters don't want to take the risk of holding gigs that size in Limerick. It doesn't make much sense for them to. There are serious costs in setting up the shows, so if a major artist is coming to Ireland it's cheaper to do two shows in Dublin than to do one in Dublin and then move everything for another show in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

vkid wrote:
    Any input into what the problem is? Is it a lack of interest from thomond Park and others, lack of interest from promoters like Aiken and MCD, or is it just the lack of the council /ano being able to sell the city as a destination or being supportive of this kind of event?

From what I'd heard,Thomond have no real interest in pursuing these types of events.
    bigpink wrote:

Do they? You could say they are proactive in holding and managing events beyond the confines of the warehouse. They have the setup to pop up where and when they want, you can't fault them for being the only ones stepping up to the mark.

I wish Flannerys the very best of luck in their endeavour. It's the public who'll benefit if they offer a good rivalling setup to Dolan's to entice acts to the city.

How about 3 in Cork, 2 in galway, 3 in Dublin and 1 in Belfast...a la Ed Sheeran.

And drive past limerick on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Shouldn't being between Galway and Cork benefit us rather than hinder us? If a big enough act was to play Limerick again we could draw people from Galway, Cork, Tipperary, Clare and Kerry as we are a short distance/central for all 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Ed Sheeran looked at Limerick instead of one of the cork day's..
    But due to a potential pro 12 play off the weekend of munster were unable to allow the gig to go ahead..

Aside from that thoigh, riverfest could do something like Live at the Marquee, quote easily in fact, but as said above, Dolans have too much pull in this city..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

vkid wrote: »
    Hardly a big event though is it?

It is the world's largest tag rugby festival, that's big on a world scale :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Interesting, at least they are trying I suppose- http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/259584/limerick-vow-to-continue-to-get-games-and-concerts-for-gaelic-grounds.html
    I would imagine Thomond Park would also surely be open to concerts and the like. They have a debt to pay off, so should be seeking any income.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

Ireland is a small country and while Limerick might well be able to sell out big events, from a promoter's point of view why would they take a risk when other locations are much less risk because they offer a bigger market:

Population (2016)
    Dublin: 1.2 million
    Cork city: 542k
    Galway: 258k
    Limerick: 194k

I wouldn't say it is more complicated then that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I'd say they have left it too late , they should have positioned themselves as the hub for the west/southwest . Concerts in Dublin servicing that side of the country and concerts in Limerick servicing Cork/Limerick/Galway . It would have taken a bit of foresight but it makes perfect sense ( granted probably only to me but thats whats important :D ) Bands would then only have to shift once and then fly out from Shannon .

The main advantages of this would be ......... me not having to stay up until 3 in the morning to collect my shower off the bus .

• Advertisement

FitzElla wrote: »
    Ireland is a small country and while Limerick might well be able to sell out big events, from a promoter's point of view why would they take a risk when other locations are much less risk because they offer a bigger market:

Population (2016)
    Dublin: 1.2 million
    Cork city: 542k
    Galway: 258k
    Limerick: 194k

I wouldn't say it is more complicated then that tbh.

Where are you getting those figures. Cork city does not have that population, nor does Galway or Limerick. County populations maybe, but realitically due to geographical spread, mean little.

Advertisement