Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lack of "big" events in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Population.JPG

According to CSO statistics 2016 the population of Cork City & County is 542868, Limerick City & County 194,899, Galway City & County 258058.

Might explain why we're down the pecking order a bit for large events...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Racecourse could be used also

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

vkid wrote: »
    Where are you getting those figures. Cork city does not have that population, nor does Galway or Limerick. County populations maybe, but realitically due to geographical spread, mean little.

As above ^, they are 2016 census figures for city and county. I know they are not perfect, and the geographical spread is hard to account for, but even with that Limerick is a long way behind Dublin and Cork for population. Alongside that Limerick city gets less tourism then Galway, Cork, or Dublin, so again the seasonal market is smaller in comparison.

All means the big promotors are likely to look elsewhere unless Limerick can offer something else, whether it is cheaper venues, better infrastructure, or some other factor to compete with the larger more established locations. Without someone championing that in Limerick I don't see much change anytime soon...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

FitzElla wrote: »
    As above ^, they are 2016 census figures for city and county. I know they are not perfect, and the geographical spread is hard to account for, but even with that Limerick is a long way behind Dublin and Cork for population. Alongside that Limerick city gets less tourism then Galway, Cork, or Dublin, so again the seasonal market is smaller in comparison.

All means the big promotors are likely to look elsewhere unless Limerick can offer something else, whether it is cheaper venues, better infrastructure, or some other factor to compete with the larger more established locations. Without someone championing that in Limerick I don't see much change anytime soon...

When talking about Limerick you have to (due to the citys location) include Clare and North Tipp in it's catchment area. It's way too simplistic to look just at county boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

When talking about Limerick you have to (due to it the citys location) include Clare and North Tipp in it catchment area. It's way too simplistic to look just at county boundaries.

I agree it is simplistic, but you can add in whatever counties you want and Dublin and Cork are still bigger markets at a national level. Unless Limerick brings something (or someone) else to the table, the big events will follow the customers money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

County population means feck all really. Galway and Cork are very spread out and much larger area wise. Charleville for example is closer to limerick than it is to Cork City. Very few decisions are based on county population. Its meaningless really.

Cork is a bigger city ...thats a given.

Galway being more developed tourism wise is also a given...but its the result of hard work on the cities behalf.

However, as I've said before, there is more to big events than concerts and outside promoters.

Galway and Cork run their own festivals, very successfully that have a strong national profile..the Jazz, Live at the Marquee, The Galway Arts festival, The Galway Races, The Galway Comedy festival and a load more

Even Waterford has the Daytripper festival, Spraoi, their Winterval etc.

Kilkenny, a big town really has the Cats Laughs and Kilkenomics. Both with national profile and very successful.

These are not all dependant on large promoters in Dublin or anywhere else. The cities are very active in supporting and developing these because they know it brings business in.

Limerick has Riverfest and it is p!ss poor. There isn't even a decent Christmas market in Limerick.
    There is absolutely nothing on for the summer...peak tourist season and nothing.

We won't solve it here I suppose, I just find it mad to say the least that the city council and the businesses in the city just couldnt be arsed or are afraid to do something like happens in most other places...Its them that would reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

County population means feck all really. Galway and Cork are very spread out and much larger area wise. Charleville for example is closer to limerick than it is to Cork City. Very few decisions are based on county population. Its meaningless really.

Cork is a bigger city ...thats a given.

Galway being more developed tourism wise is also a given...but its the result of hard work on the cities behalf.

However, as I've said before, there is more to big events than concerts and outside promoters.

Galway and Cork run their own festivals, very successfully that have a strong national profile..the Jazz, Live at the Marquee, The Galway Arts festival, The Galway Races, The Galway Comedy festival and a load more

Even Waterford has the Daytripper festival, Spraoi, their Winterval etc.

Kilkenny, a big town really has the Cats Laughs and Kilkenomics. Both with national profile and very successful.

These are not all dependant on large promoters in Dublin or anywhere else. The cities are very active in supporting and developing these because they know it brings business in.

Limerick has Riverfest and it is p!ss poor. There isn't even a decent Christmas market in Limerick.
    There is absolutely nothing on for the summer...peak tourist season and nothing.

We won't solve it here I suppose, I just find it mad to say the least that the city council and the businesses in the city just couldnt be arsed or are afraid to do something like happens in most other places...Its them that would reap the rewards.

Hit the nail on the head.Yet we'll still have the leader and local politicians congratulating themselves on Riverfest.I mentioned it before but a decent size indoor venue would help although the powers that be are pretty hapless at attracting acts despite having the Gaelic Grounds/Thomond.

How many does King Johns hold?I always thought it's a bit under-utilised.Maybe a music festival incorporating a no of venues around the city.I don't know-something needs to register on a national scale.The lack of tourists for a city the size of Limerick is shocking though.Why can't they have something similar to Bunratty in King Johns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭goochy

What are you on those population figures are for counties not cities. Bantry for instance is a long way from cork city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran looked at Limerick instead of one of the cork day's..

Is that right Mr. Aiken? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not forgetting their arts festival and they rhytym and roots festival.

I don't know what it is in Limerick. The city centre is never appealing anytime I'm back. It just doesn't do it. Like it's too spread out or something. I don't know.
    I don't think there's a whole lot to do for tourists in the city bar an afternoon or a day. The surrounding countryside is where it's at for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The only decent thing to do in town in Limerick is a night out. Seems to be becoming more popular with hens and stags. Outside of that most good things happen in the suburbs or the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Jofspring wrote: »
    The only decent thing to do in town in Limerick is a night out. Seems to be becoming more popular with hens and stags. Outside of that most good things happen in the suburbs or the countryside.

I know we all have different tastes but this is a bit unfair. The Hunt Museum is currently showing a collection of Yates' and Henry's paintings, which I'm looking forward to seeing, and Angela's Ashes the musical is tonight finishing up a hugely successful two week run in the Limetree.

I think a large part of the issue is that people don't bother seeking out things to do. I went to the IFI screenings at the Belltable last week for the first time and it was a great show that I wouldn't have seen in a regular cinema, or even on the TV. It's every Monday night for €8 and some of the shows that they have coming up look very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

zetalambda wrote: »
    Is that right Mr. Aiken? :)

Ha ha. Hadihaha
    It's what was being said in and around Thomond anyway.. the internal grapevine isn't usually too wrong..
    and seeing as Ed last year actually said Limerick was being looked at.. seems to make sense no? But whatever.

Not entirely relevant to this thread, but at least it shows all isn't completely lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

pigtown wrote: »
    I know we all have different tastes but this is a bit unfair. The Hunt Museum is currently showing a collection of Yates' and Henry's paintings, which I'm looking forward to seeing, and Angela's Ashes the musical is tonight finishing up a hugely successful two week run in the Limetree.

I think a large part of the issue is that people don't bother seeking out things to do. I went to the IFI screenings at the Belltable last week for the first time and it was a great show that I wouldn't have seen in a regular cinema, or even on the TV. It's every Monday night for €8 and some of the shows that they have coming up look very interesting.

Fair enough the hunt museaum and belltable are is right in town but the limetree for me would be considered more suburbs. You wouldn't be down town O'Connell St, William St area and stroll up to the limetree for a show. It's too far. A limetree size theatre in the heart of town would be excellent.

There is still a hell of a lot more to do outside of the city centre than there is in the city centre and that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Jofspring wrote: »

If your idea of a night out isn't getting plastered drunk, then what? (I know, there are gigs, plays, etc, but things get narrowed down a bit, but that's Ireland I suppose)

Maybe people could post some activities they would like to go to and perhaps others could let them know the best/closet place for said activity is?

To borrow a phrase from someone I follow on twitter; If you go to things there will be more things

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭enterprise2017

Curious as to why this is still the case. Take for example the Ed Sheeran gigs. Now i have no interest in Ed, or his music but there is 9 concerts in Ireland next year and not one in Limerick.

There is not one decent festival throughout the year ( not counting Riverfest as I think it is well and truly past its sell by date and is really poor as a flagship festival....this year included), the gigs in the Milk Market and King Johns castle can hardly be counted as major events ( The Coronas and Hermitage Green are hardly big superstars and have played here loads).

It is not a lack of venues - Thomond Park, Gaelic Grounds, King Johns etc. Its 2013 since there was last a decent name in Thomond. (Bruce Springsteen - full house)

Any input into what the problem is? Is it a lack of interest from thomond Park and others, lack of interest from promoters like Aiken and MCD, or is it just the lack of the council /ano being able to sell the city as a destination or being supportive of this kind of event?

I have a group called Limerick City Citizens and I have to admit I hear that question coming up a lot. It's simple.

Morons run the city!!!

Look at places like Chez le fab and charlie malones doing gigs all the time there small but people need support small things aswell
    Dolans have the gigs in milk market and kings johns there is a total of 2gigs this summer

The topic is the lack of big events. .concerts festivals and the like. There is some smaller stuff happening and no one is denying that. The problem is anything apart from riverfest on a larger scale that has national profile,and would attract larger amounts of people to limerick. And riverfest barely qualifies. It's terrible and the quicker the powers that be accept that the better.

Let's not get bogged down in the smaller scale stuff.

Thomond Park were advertising this week that they got listed as a finalist for best purpose build event venue but yet it aint being used

• Advertisement

The topic is the lack of big events. .concerts festivals and the like. There is some smaller stuff happening and no one is denying that. The problem is anything apart from riverfest on a larger scale that has national profile,and would attract larger amounts of people to limerick. And riverfest barely qualifies. It's terrible and the quicker the powers that be accept that the better.

Let's not get bogged down in the smaller scale stuff.

Riverfest won best event at the Event Industry Awards last night.
    To be fair I think the councillors have recognised the lack of big festivals and are trying to rectify it. It's a process though, you can't just start a huge festival, it usually has to grow gradually.

Does anyone know what happened to the Tomcat street festival? It didn't go ahead this year did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

bigpink wrote: »
    Look at places like Chez le fab and charlie malones doing gigs all the time there small but people need support small things aswell
    Dolans have the gigs in milk market and kings johns there is a total of 2gigs this summer

Chez le Fab is very Niche. I have been putting on gigs around limerick for years. You know what the problem is? The people. Simple as. They don't bother going. Sure if your name is Bruce or Bob everyone will turn out but as for supporting local people trying to put on events forget about it.

Dolans is an exception. Huge pull below in the county offices. Will never let anyone else put a gig on in one of the venues they use or with artists they have on their roster. I have dealt with tons of venue owners they don't give a toss about Limericks entertainment image all they care about is the bottom line.

Local Limerick people just complain there is nothing to do and when there is they don't turn up. There are lots of smaller events on around the place all the time but really you need to get up of your arse and go or else they wont be around for long, and with the proper support they can turn into big events..

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

It might not qualify as Big but the Paul Henry/Jack B Yeats exhibition in the Hunt Museum is top class. Well worth visiting and recommend it for visitors to the city also. An exhibition that any city in Ireland would be proud of. Well done to all concerned.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Chez le Fab is very Niche. I have been putting on gigs around limerick for years. You know what the problem is? The people. Simple as. They don't bother going. Sure if your name is Bruce or Bob everyone will turn out but as for supporting local people trying to put on events forget about it.

Dolans is an exception. Huge pull below in the county offices. Will never let anyone else put a gig on in one of the venues they use or with artists they have on their roster. I have dealt with tons of venue owners they don't give a toss about Limericks entertainment image all they care about is the bottom line.

Local Limerick people just complain there is nothing to do and when there is they don't turn up. There are lots of smaller events on around the place all the time but really you need to get up of your arse and go or else they wont be around for long, and with the proper support they can turn into big events..

It is niche but putting on great gigs and should be highlighted more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

There's two arguments going on in this thread, a good old tug o war with the topic!

Stab*City wrote: »
    Sure if your name is Bruce or Bob everyone will turn out but as for supporting local people trying to put on events forget about it.

Well thats exactly the type of thing the thread is supposed to be about. Talking about small events not being supported is totally separate. Maybe there isn't a market there for whatever people are putting on. I don't know what type of events people are referring to here, but its not what the topic is about.

Growing a festival from a small thing to larger is one thing, but Riverfest has been doing more or less the same thing for ever. the only river feature they have really introduced is the people on the water power stilt thing, and they have had it every year for the last few. Done and dusted really.... most people have seen it.

The BBQ competition was a bit of a farce the last while, and not impressed with the Arthurs quay setup myself but each to their own.

The award they won is something you enter yourself and their list of competitors is hardly the greatest events in the world. Never heard of half of them

Best Live Event (Sponsored by The Helix)
    Aldi Charity Partners at the National Ploughing Championship 2016
    Cannonball
    Fota Island Resort Christmas Event
    Mad Hatter's Tea Party at the Ilac Centre
    NYF Dublin Sky Dance at the Custom House
    Riverfest Limerick 2016
    The Big Grill 2016
    Vodafone Does Strictly 2016

As said unlikely to solve it here, but moaning about small events not being supported is not really relevant to a discussion on big events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Well thats exactly the type of thing the thread is supposed to be about. Talking about small events not being supported is totally separate. Maybe there isn't a market there for whatever people are putting on. I don't know what type of events people are referring to here, but its not what the topic is about.

Growing a festival from a small thing to larger is one thing, but Riverfest has been doing more or less the same thing for ever. the only river feature they have really introduced is the people on the water power stilt thing, and they have had it every year for the last few. Done and dusted really.... most people have seen it.

The BBQ competition was a bit of a farce the last while, and not impressed with the Arthurs quay setup myself but each to their own.

The award they won is something you enter yourself and their list of competitors is hardly the greatest events in the world. Never heard of half of them

Best Live Event (Sponsored by The Helix)
    Aldi Charity Partners at the National Ploughing Championship 2016
    Cannonball
    Fota Island Resort Christmas Event
    Mad Hatter's Tea Party at the Ilac Centre
    NYF Dublin Sky Dance at the Custom House
    Riverfest Limerick 2016
    The Big Grill 2016
    Vodafone Does Strictly 2016

As said unlikely to solve it here, but moaning about small events not being supported is not really relevant to a discussion on big events.

True total waste of time so this, close the thread. ;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

I'm from Cork and I drove all the way to Foynes to attend last weekend's Air Show. It was wonderful event with lots of street entertainment for the kids to enjoy. The Air Show was spectacular and nearly all the acts that appeared at Bray performed at Foynes including several jets and the Le Niamh was docked there. I would love if Cork city could host an event like this. I would say close to 10,000 people were in Foynes. This event could be massive for Limerick county if properly supported. Lots of tourists visit west Cork and also make the journey to Cork city or visa versa. Limerick has Adare, Foynes and there are other locations in East Limerick that can help attract tourists benefiting both the city and county. In fairness, Riverfest is a great event for Limerick as well and the Pig n Porter is popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Sometimes Dolans pull the odd good artist, Jake Bugg coming to Limerick in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Limerick's demo profile is quite different from the other two key provincial centres who draw the big events.

There are an inordinate number of unemployment blackspots and as such there are an inordinate number of people (inter-generational) on social welfare.

These folks don't spend much beyond groceries/fags/booze. They are not going to fork out €80-100 on concert tickets.

This scenario is compounded by another issue - students, or rather lack thereof. They are key consumers of music events etc. unless you are talking about 'heritage' acts. We weren't granted a national university back in the day (thanks Queen Vicky!) like Cork (1km from centre) or Galway (also 1km from centre). When we eventually got a campus it was 5km outside the centre - leading it to be a very self-contained entity distinct from the city in so many respects. Our IT was also stuck out in the suburbs of the northside, the proposed expansion even moreso. This limits our student pop to the rather small art college and Mary I. Not enough to affect the culture/economy of the streets on a day-to-day basis as one has come to expect in GY and CK.

I had hoped there would be a UL tie-in with the Opera centre to address this but alas nothing definite on that.

Yet another factor to consider is how sporting events and not music have come to be seen as the key entertainment offerings to the Limerick public. Only so much budget there.
    Maybe you can't have it all.

There is no validity to conspiracy theories. If Dolans have too much control, what is stopping another entrepreneur getting in there? There just isn't the draw, for the reasons I have outlined above.

Advertisement