Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of rope to use as a pull rope?

Options
  • 12-07-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I have a few underground ducts (mostly 4" Wavin) I had installed when I was having my house built. Some of them have some water in them, the longest would be around 50m.
    We had random rope put in them before and I used them to pull phone lines, fiber etc. but the rope rotted over time and some of it broke and was a pain to replace.

What type of rope would folks recommend as pull rope which could deal wet ducts (not rot)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Any rope will rot over time if its submerged. I think the problem isn't the rope but the water in the duct. Ideally ducts should be as dry as possible. Usually whats done is the duct is sloped slightly to one end and drained off there. It would probably be handier to leave it without a rope. Just rod and rope the duct as you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,012 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If its being left what about some of that shielded washing line, Its wrapped in a plastic casing, That should handle being sit around for a while.

But as above, it should be dry. There is no real reason for the pipe to contain water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Thank you for the suggestions folks. Yup, its the water that does the rotting :) but, looking for rope what would be able to withstand being in water for prolonged periods.

Duct/pipe not to contain water - ideally they wouldn't but they have, mostly though during the winter months when the ground gets a little water logged.

is there any preferable type of rope folks would use? I see 'parachute' cord being mentioned a bit or 'pull tape'

Advertisement