Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland - Stealing

• 12-07-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So I received a text yesterday from BOI saying I needed to lodge to my ac by 3:30 to stop a direct debit from bouncing. I did so before 2pm. They still bounced the dd and charged me a fee for the bouncing of same of 12.70. This has not been corrected as of now, my important dd has not been paid, and BOI have literally stolen money from me. This is utterly disgraceful and it begs the question, how many times have they done this to me before? And I imagine I am not the only one this is affecting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

What manner did you do the lodgement out of interest? Cash in a branch? Into a machine? Electronic transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sentient_6 wrote: »
    What manner did you do the lodgement out of interest? Cash in a branch? Into a machine? Electronic transfer?

+1 the only ways you can lodge money that will show up in your BOI account straight away is one of the following.....

1. Cash lodgement over the counter in a branch of BOI and it's useful to advise the teller that you need the money credited straight away.

2. Cash lodgement at a BOI lodgement ATM

3. Electronic online (using 365online) transfer from another BOI account to yours. Can be from a third party or another account of yours but must be BOI ==> BOI.

If you lodged cash using the envelopes and the letterbox in a BOI branch at 2 p.m., it may not be processed in time for your DD at 3:30 p.m..

If you lodged cash at an AIB or other bank or you transferred money electronically from a different bank, it won't be in your BOI account until the next day at the earliest.

This is utterly disgraceful and it begs the question, how many times have they done this to me before?

You registered on boards to ask us that?

It only 'begs the question' in your imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

coylemj wrote: »

The question I have to ask is what is the point of the text if its impossible to pay money in in time for it to clear.

I'd be interested to here exactly what the full text of the txt was and when it was sent in relation to the time when the DD would be taken. On the face of it the txt seems pointless if it can't be actioned.

my3cents wrote: »
    The question I have to ask is what is the point of the text if its impossible to pay money in in time for it to clear.

It is not impossible, it can be done in a matter of seconds if you or a friend have money in a BOI account and the 365online app installed on your mobile and I know from experience that the money will be in your account there and then.

The OP lodged the money 'before 2 p.m.' having been given a deadline of 3:30 p.m. I suspect the money was lodged into or transferred from a different bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Have the money in your account for the DD next time and chalk this up to a lesson learned.

"Stealing" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tomashyland32

sentient_6 wrote: »

Cash in branch

my3cents wrote: »

I'd be interested to here exactly what the full text of the txt was and when it was sent in relation to the time when the DD would be taken. On the face of it the txt seems pointless if it can't be actioned.

Full text

Good morning, Security and Risk Communication Ltd will be presenting a direct debit today, however there may not be enough funds in your a/c to cover this payment. To avoid an unpaid fee of €12.70 and to ensure successful payment, you can transfer additional money from any other BOI current account via Banking 365 or alternatively lodge cash at a lodgement machine in any BOI branch BEFORE 3.30pm today. If you are expecting funds into account today, this message may no longer be relevant to you. Thank you for banking with BOI.

It is not impossible, it can be done in a matter of seconds if you or a friend have money in a BOI account and the 365online app installed on your mobile and I know from experience that the money will be in your account there and then.

The OP lodged the money 'before 2 p.m.' having been given a deadline of 3:30 p.m. I suspect the money was lodged into or transferred from a different bank.

Lodged with cash Ina BOI branch

Cash in branch

Over the counter to a teller in a branch of BOI?

Did you ask that it be put through immediately? If the teller is very busy, they can simply dump the paperwork into a tray to be inputted to the system later but if you tell them that it's needed to meet a direct debit or pay the rent, they will enter it into the system there and then.

• Advertisement

Each of our questions only beg the question in our own imaginations. It's the basic tenet of solipsism. What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got two quick succession overdrawn charges on my account on the same day as the debits to my account were not made on the days of my purchases but rather all made in one go about three days later, sneaky stealth stealing am gonna go into my branch to dispute the charges next week. If there is still a counter service being provided that is.

Each of our questions only beg the question in our own imaginations. It's the basic tenet of solipsism. What's your point?

You can't manage your personal finances and your retort to criticism is to resort to philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

You can't manage your personal finances and your retort to criticism is to resort to philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

And it seems your intellectual capacity is limited to making sweeping generalisations and handing out unwanted rubbish advice. What a boring individual you must be, surfing boards to bleat out your tripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Have you picked up the phone to address this issue? Or did you just decide to share your outrage with the internet instead?

And it seems your intellectual capacity is limited to making sweeping generalisations and handing out unwanted rubbish advice. What a boring individual you must be, surfing boards to bleat out your tripe

Well your intellectual capacity is clearly limited to filtering information into 'wanted' and 'unwanted' - anything you don't want to hear falls into the latter category. Sounds like you have a lot in common with the current US president.

Nobody forced you to register on boards so you could have a whinge and accuse the Bank of Ireland of stealing your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Nobody forced you to register on boards so you could have a whinge and accuse the Bank of Ireland of stealing your money.

And nobody forced you to reply either!
    If you've a problem with his posts use the report button instead of getting into a condescending tit for tat that derails the thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Lodged with cash Ina BOI branch

There is a very good reason why a cash deposit was not one of the options in the text - it would not reach you account on time. You choose not to follow the instructions... your problem.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is a very good reason why a cash deposit was not one of the options in the text - it would not reach you account on time. You choose not to follow the instructions... your problem.

I can see that an inbranch lodgement wasn't mentioned in the text message but lodging cash over the counter used to be a way of getting money into your account straight away - provided you asked the teller to put into the system - are you aware that that does not work these days in BOI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

OP you lodged the extra cash in BOI , and I know you expected it to hit your account same time , but it didnt so you can only learn from this .

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news , but is it is possible that the Communications company may also charge you €12.70 due to this .

Some companies do charge up to €15 for failed transactions .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi again,
    Any reasonable person would have the intellectual capacity to manage their Direct Debits and to know that a cash lodgement at a branch will never be guaranteed to hit an account in time for an imminent DD.

Hi again,
    Any reasonable person would have the intellectual capacity to manage their Direct Debits and to know that a cash lodgement at a branch will never be guaranteed to hit an account in time for an imminent DD.

Although I was at the receiving end of some of the OP's negative comments, I have to defend him here.....

If you lodge cash over the counter in a BOI branch and ask the teller to put it through, it will be in your account there and then. OP was asked to have the money in the account by 3:30 p.m., says the money was lodged 'before 2 p.m.' but despite being asked, has not explicitly stated if the lodgement was made (1) as cash over the counter and (2) in a branch of BOI.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Although I was at the receiving end of some of the OP's negative comments, I have to defend him here.....

If you lodge cash over the counter in a BOI branch and ask the teller to put it through, it will be in your account there and then. OP was asked to have the money in the account by 3:30 p.m., says the money was lodged 'before 2 p.m.' but despite being asked, has not explicitly stated if the lodgement was made (1) as cash over the counter and (2) in a branch of BOI.

This is not the case. The OP was told to use one of two specific method to ensure that the money was on the account no time. They decided to do something else. It does not matter what the merits of the other option are, it was not the open advised by the bank and so they do not have a case to answer.

Advertisement