Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New desktop

Options
  • 12-07-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi guys might be posting this in the wrong section if I am please let me know. I need a desktop for doing work and just general stuff on the internet. But I would also like to use it for playing some games. I don't need it to run at 1440p or anything too fancy just play some battlefield, csgo, rpgs and the likes. I don't need to play on super graphics just decent frame rate not lagging. I have no experience of building a computer, so really just looking for advice and buy one of the ones you select the parts and they assemble for you.
    1. What is your budget? <500 just for the tower.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Casual gaming, work nothing too strenuous

If gaming which games? Battlefield, gta some rpgs

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? yes but can look for that after

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? yes but same as above

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I know noting about it so probably no

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? now
    For this sort of a budget would I just be as well off get a gaming console and a regular desktop on the side ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

For your budget you should go Xbox PS4 route in my opinion. Either up your budget, or go console route. 500 is chewed up instantly on any half decent machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Your budget is somewhat restrictive but if you're willing to go 2nd hand a decent rig is not out of the question. Battlefield 1 mp is cpu intensive so my advice would be to buy: http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/gaming-pc-i7-2600k-8gb-ram-2tb-hdd-free-graphics-card/13318400 You would prob need to overclock easily done though.

Sell the GTX480 and buy a 2nd hand gtx970 for €160-180 and you'll be gaming at 1080p no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭canister94

Thanks for the replies guys. So pretty much for a budget of 500 what I'm getting is not much more than a standard desktop and won't really be able to do what I want.

I could raise my budget to a 1000 and for that sort of a price range am I into some what of a midrange pc that will function to a usable standard on the games I posted. As I said I'm not looking to run anything on ultra settings just once it plays to a decent standard and no lagging I'm happy enough.

Appreciate the help for a noob

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Good deal here for €500. For that budget second hand is definitely the way to go. This is a great little PC for the money. Just add an SSD and a monitor.

It's not a standard desktop. This will run most games max settings at 1080p with 60fps.

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/pc-core-i5-2500k-8gb-ram-geforce-gtx-970/13019135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£54.51 @ BT Shop)
    Motherboard: Asus - H110M-C/CSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£39.52 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£54.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Silicon Power - Silm S55 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£41.19 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£48.44 @ Ebuyer)
    Other: AVP Hyperion Case (£22.99)
    Total: £299.60
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-13 12:49 BST+0100

€340 before the GPU.

The for the GPU you can pick up a GTX 970 for about €180-200 on Adverts (like this one) or a GTX 1050 TI for about €130 or so if you keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse Deals. Thr 1050 TI is great performance for it's price but I would recommend the 970 at the extra cost to be honest, same GPU I have an it is excellent (I included it in the build above just to get an idea for power consumption as it uses more than a 1050 TI).

You would probably need to do a flash update on the motherboard BIOS when you first turn it on, I did it with an ASUS H110 motherboard two weeks back and it only takes ten minutes and is actually really easy - just follow these instructions and download this then unzip to a blank USB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Billy86 wrote: »
    You would probably need to do a flash update on the motherboard BIOS when you first turn it on, I did it with an ASUS H110 motherboard two weeks back and it only takes ten minutes and is actually really easy - just follow these instructions and download this then unzip to a blank USB.

Did you use the same MOBO listed in the part list?
    I'm looking for a cheap H110 Motherboard for a g4560 build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Alpha8 wrote: »
    Did you use the same MOBO listed in the part list?
    I'm looking for a cheap H110 Motherboard for a g4560 build.
    This is the exact one I used, was £60 on sale at the time (and B250 ITX's are pricey!) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018SMJJH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - because it was doubling as a HTPC with an elaborate Kodi setup in a tiny case as a housewarming present for the sister and her boyfriend to go under the TV as basically an all-around home entertainment unit. I'm guessing Kaby Lake has been out so long now that you can expect H110 motherboards to be ready with just the bios update - but buy off Amazon to be safe, as they have an excellent returns policy meaning if you were unlucky it would be very easy to swap over to a B250.

Advertisement