Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition from Electronics to ....

Options
  • 12-07-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for a bit of advice (Apologies for the similar thread). I'm currently working in Electronics in Testing. I'm looking into the possibility to shift profession (ideally roughly related in the eng sphere) but no notion in what direction. I probably should have altered my path in college after a year as I got the feeling I had no gra for this kind of work/study.

I know from my hobbies I have interest in mechanics and probably should have tried an apprenticeship instead of college. I'm pretty confident I need to be working with my hands to some degree in order to keep some level of interest. Sitting in from of a console is ruining me.
    To top it all off, I hated college with a passion so would loath to return to it.

Career coaches any good? Suggested areas in engineering to look into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Career coaches are good - EI have an individual they connect you to that I found excellent: http://www.engineersireland.ie/Services/Employment-Services/Career-Consultancy.aspx

For someone with (begruding) electronics background, and a real interest in mechanics - maybe you could look at instrumentation? could be a good mix up of the two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I have a few electrician/instrumentation friends. Nice suggestion. Thanks for the link too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

I made a similar switch into the Pharma industry ~ 7 years ago after a few years out of college doing shift work with some of the ill fated electronic manufacturers dotted around D15/Meath area.

Numerous career paths opened up and I'm now in a job i never would have thought my qualification could have led to.

Not being boastful!, but I am on a healthy wage and extremely happy. Hopefully further career progressions ahead of me over the coming years. Anyway don't be afraid to take a leap of fate. The Pharma/food production industry are crying out for Engineers of all grades once you can show a bit of initiative. If interested in working with your hands and seeing your efforts having meaningful results, you could end up working on high end high grade production lines. Maintenance Engineer/Production Support/Project Engineer etc.

If you are located within travelling distance of the many pharma plants I would highly recommend reviewing further.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Advertisement