Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agency increasing rent but only went up last year

Options
  • 12-07-2017 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Hi, the agency I'm with increased the rent in July 2016 and has now said that they are planning on increasing the rent by 4%.

It was my understanding that the increase last July meant that the rent was frozen for a period of 2 years (i.e. until July 2018) and cannot be increased until then. Anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think the two-year rent review period only applies if your rental property is outside of a rent pressure zone. I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think the two-year rent review period only applies if your rental property is outside of a rent pressure zone. I think!

Just checked and our area is considered a rent pressure zone from 27th Jan 2017. So you think that the 2 year price freeze didn't apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Actually, I might be wrong - sorry.

Landlord has not reviewed the rent in previous 24 months:
    For tenancies that are already in existence a review is only permitted 24 months after the tenancy came in to existence or 24 months from the date the rent was last set. In this instance m = 24.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/rent-pressure-zones

"For tenancies that are already in existence a review is only permitted 24 months after the tenancy came in to existence or 24 months from the date the rent was last set."

So as our rent increased 12 months ago it's my understanding that it can't be touched for a further 12 months ... they certainly make it confusing hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

kingtut wrote: »
    Hi, the agency I'm with increased the rent in July 2016 and has now said that they are planning on increasing the rent by 4%.

It was my understanding that the increase last July meant that the rent was frozen for a period of 2 years (i.e. until July 2018) and cannot be increased until then. Anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance.

Just wait to see if you get a valid review letter from the agency. If you do, then advise them that you believe the review to be invalid

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    Just wait to see if you get a valid review letter from the agency. If you do, then advise them that you believe the review to be invalid

Thanks. They e-mailed today asking if I wanted to renew the lease to which I said I did and am waiting to hear back (my gf rang them as she had a missed call and it was then that they mentioned the increase but the e-mail made no reference to it ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kingtut wrote: »
    Thanks. They e-mailed today asking if I wanted to renew the lease to which I said I did and am waiting to hear back (my gf rang them as she had a missed call and it was then that they mentioned the increase but the e-mail made no reference to it ...)
    In general, it is best to say that you just want to continue on a "Part 4 basis" - the agency will want you to sign a new lease for another 12 months, so they can bill the landlord. That lease ties you to the property (you can assign, but that might be difficult). However, you still have all the right of the lease by availing of Part 4.

Advertisement