Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 BF1 Netgear Nighthawk R7000 MTU Optimal setting

Options
  • 12-07-2017 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I can`t seem to get the correct MTU number so that I don`t get disconnected while playing BF1.
    Sometimes I can play for about 1 minute or 2, others it can be 10-15, but I`m still getting disconnected.
    I`ve matched both MTU on router setting and on PS4, which is 1428 ish, I`ve been lower as suggested in CMD I think it was something like 1390 with no loss, but I still got disconnected.
    I`d loved some ideas as to what to do, I`ve never had this problem before, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

No one`s having any problems playing BF1 online on PS4???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

lewis wrote: »
    No one`s having any problems playing BF1 online on PS4???

Haven't played it in a while, but I never did when I played it.

Also, you never mentioned your ISP, to narrow it down, maybe an issue with them.

I've never set up MTU, ever.

I`ve never had to go near it before as well, I always had a fairly good connection to the servers, but never this bad.
    I`m with Vodafone, not the fastest speed I`m getting from them but was still was enough to have a good long game....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

I can`t seem to get the correct MTU number so that I don`t get disconnected while playing BF1.
    Sometimes I can play for about 1 minute or 2, others it can be 10-15, but I`m still getting disconnected.
    I`ve matched both MTU on router setting and on PS4, which is 1428 ish, I`ve been lower as suggested in CMD I think it was something like 1390 with no loss, but I still got disconnected.
    I`d loved some ideas as to what to do, I`ve never had this problem before, cheers.

I have the same router and never had to adjust MTU settings. But I am on virgin. I left all default. Never saw any issues on BF1.

Are you wired or wireless ? Think the PS4 is 2.4GHz only if wireless. If not, the 5Ghz has very low penetration through walls. Mine is wired.

You using your R7000 as modem also or is there another unit before nighthawk for your supplier. I turn off firewall on R7000 as have firewall of modem set to low. I did see your issue when I tried setting my firewall on modem to medium.

I also have my DNS pointing to openDNS as kid safety measure on net (I know it's easily bypassed but the younger one doesn't know how). That also gives no issues. You could try pointing yours to google DNS address as I read here it can help.

Damien360 wrote: »
    I have the same router and never had to adjust MTU settings. But I am on virgin. I left all default. Never saw any issues on BF1.

Are you wired or wireless ? Think the PS4 is 2.4GHz only if wireless. If not, the 5Ghz has very low penetration through walls. Mine is wired.

You using your R7000 as modem also or is there another unit before nighthawk for your supplier. I turn off firewall on R7000 as have firewall of modem set to low. I did see your issue when I tried setting my firewall on modem to medium.

I also have my DNS pointing to openDNS as kid safety measure on net (I know it's easily bypassed but the younger one doesn't know how). That also gives no issues. You could try pointing yours to google DNS address as I read here it can help.

I`m wireless and get great connection...

Ever since I connected with PPPpoe with DHCP server selected in Netgear router settings, I`ve had nothing but disconnects when playing online on PS4.

I also tried BF4 and the same thing, I don`t understand.....

The time that I`m on, short as it is, there`s no lags, it`s great, smooth and all....

I`m stumped.

Maybe it`s something in the Netgear router settings that I have wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Try it wired run an Ethernet cable temporary and see if still getting disconnects! If issue disappears then Something is interfering with the wifi signal if it doesn't then I suggest an isp issue

I`ll give it a go, ever since I PPPoe my poop PSN online ain`t stable....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I`ll give it a go, ever since I PPPoe my poop PSN online ain`t stable....

So, it was fine before you poo-poo'ed your pppoe?

Undo it and it should be good so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

F1ngers wrote: »

It would be rude not to......

F1ngers wrote: »

I'm afraid to go near it all again for fear of me making it worse...

• Advertisement

I FINALLY seemed to have gotten BF1 to stay online and not disconnect me after a few seconds.

What I think sorted and made it work was when I was in my Netgear router settings-advanced-advanced setup-IPv6/ Internet Connection Type, it was on PPPOE, which I did`nt know this section had anything to do with my connection since IPv4 was what I thought I was on/using.

Anyways, I first selected auto detect from the drop down menu, but lost connection to the net, then I think I tried DHCP, but everything you change in the settings, takes ages to take effect, so I think while it was still doing it`s thing from selecting auto detect, I went to try DHCP, then I noticed I was connected to the wifi via the icon on the task bar, so I did`nt change anything from then on, went to try BF1 and it stayed online.....after days of trying different things, reading a heap of stuff I did`nt understand, it seems to be working.

It`s so easy to mess things up in the settings, but`s it`s almost impossible to fix it, fingers crossed next time I go to play, it still works..

Advertisement