Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance hike after claim - what's the cost?

Options
  • 12-07-2017 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

If someone successfully claims say ~80k against your insurance, what kind of hike could you expect? Is there anyone here of that kind of experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,790 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's loss of no claims so once you don't get points as a result of dangerous driving it should be the same as someone starting off with zero no claims. I would say someone with full no claims over 30 if last years quote was €700 then this years would be €2k plus at a guess. It would be the same if the claim was €5k for €900k, no claims is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

lol...do you really believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you have any input of your own, MojoMaker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

It's loss of no claims so once you don't get points as a result of dangerous driving it should be the same as someone starting off with zero no claims. I would say someone with full no claims over 30 if last years quote was €700 then this years would be €2k plus at a guess. It would be the same if the claim was €5k for €900k, no claims is gone.

No points, I wasn't convicted, clean driving licence, plaintiff is looking at ~80k (and he's going to get it), mind you he didn't have injuries, I was on life support, but the law is an ass in civil claims. So am I going to be penalized to you guys think?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No points, I wasn't convicted, clean driving licence, plaintiff is looking at ~80k (and he's going to get it), mind you he didn't have injuries, I was on life support, but the law is an ass in civil claims. So am I going to be penalized to you guys think?

You'll certainly lose your ncb I'm afraid (unless it's protected). After that it's anyones guess.

• Advertisement

You'll certainly lose your ncb I'm afraid (unless it's protected). After that it's anyones guess.

Ok got it, I have NCB as far as I'm aware, just unsure about the consequences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

22000 euro claim settled against. My car insurance 2+yrs ago lost ncb pemium doubled and its staying up even though my ncb is building again

fepper wrote: »
    22000 euro claim settled against. My car insurance 2+yrs ago lost ncb pemium doubled and its staying up even though my ncb is building again

Thanks, at least I can expect a double in premium at the minimum. Just trying to get my house in order for this rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

I also got 2 points for careless driving without due care and attention so that didn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Of course you will and should where it was your fault. Clearly if you suffered injuries significant enough to be put on a life support machine the other driver has also suffered significant injury.

Tbh I think you are on a wind up here

An increase in your insurance renewal should be least of your worries

• Advertisement

McCrack wrote: »
    Of course you will and should where it was your fault. Clearly if you suffered injuries significant enough to be put on a life support machine the other driver has also suffered significant injury.

Tbh I think you are on a wind up here

An increase in your insurance renewal should be least of your worries

Yeah wind up, he walked away. Sure. Did you even read my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Yeah wind up, he walked away. Sure. Did you even read my post?

Did you watch him walk away whilst you were mangled in your vehicle waiting on the fire service to come and extract you to be put on a spinal board and brought to A&E to be put on a life support machine?

Is that what happened??

McCrack wrote: »
    Did you watch him walk away whilst you were mangled in your vehicle waiting on the fire service to come and extract you to be put on a spinal board and brought to A&E to be put on a life support machine?

Is that what happened??

No I didn't see him walk away, cut out of car unconscious, with smashed pelvis and every bone in my body broken. The witnesses saw him smoking after the accident sitting on a wall.

Just to be clear, I got a settlement, it nowhere goes near the medication I need every month, my original question was that this guy is getting money as far as I'm aware, so how does that effect my insurance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Recent case where other driver pulled across my lane. I avoided hitting him but no witness and as I didn't hit his car and kill the passenger the insurance settled on 50/50 as it was cheapest for them. Premium has roughly doubled with the main settlement covered but case is not fully closed yet 2 years later so stuck with same crowd and slowly building my NCB up again.

Other driver did admit fault at scene but changed story so insurance settled 50/50.

Yawns wrote: »
    Recent case where other driver pulled across my lane. I avoided hitting him but no witness and as I didn't hit his car and kill the passenger the insurance settled on 50/50 as it was cheapest for them. Premium has roughly doubled with the main settlement covered but case is not fully closed yet 2 years later so stuck with same crowd and slowly building my NCB up again.

Other driver did admit fault at scene but changed story so insurance settled 50/50.[/quot

So I can expect a hike so:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

So I can expect a hike so:(

Yeah I'd say double at a minimum. Depending on if the case is closed or open you could be stuck with the same insurer anyway. If it's open, you can't switch as others won't quote you.

Yawns wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say double at a minimum. Depending on if the case is closed or open you could be stuck with the same insurer anyway. If it's open, you can't switch as others won't quote you.

That's what I thought, thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

My premium doubled recently after a claim where the other party admitted 100% responsibility after 6 months and they paid up in full. So 0 cost to me or my insurance and NCB intact.

Premium at renewal was over twice what I paid last year. My insurance companies explanation was it might have cost me nothing and not been my fault but statistically I was now more likely to have an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

My premium doubled recently after a claim where the other party admitted 100% responsibility after 6 months and they paid up in full. So 0 cost to me or my insurance and NCB intact.

Premium at renewal was over twice what I paid last year. My insurance companies explanation was it might have cost me nothing and not been my fault but statistically I was now more likely to have an accident.

Did you get a recording of the call and report it to the insurance ombudsman?

I believe that's illegal if true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Sorry I should have mentioned in in the UK at the moment so maybe it's allowed here.. But from what you said I must check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Did you get a recording of the call and report it to the insurance ombudsman?

I believe that's illegal if true

Unfortunately the insurers are free to use any input data for their statistical model they wish. They only cannot use gender AFAIK.

And that's why we need regulation so much here. In many areas, for instance what data can and cannot be used for quotation and state run process for fault determination. The 'market-hand' approach is clearly not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

grogi wrote: »
    Unfortunately the insurers are free to use any input data for their statistical model they wish. They only cannot use gender AFAIK.

And that's why we need regulation so much here. In many areas, for instance what data can and cannot be used for quotation and state run process for fault determination. The 'market-hand' approach is clearly not working.

i wont argue with you about the insurance industry

surely their restrictive practices will be affecting the employment and economy situation with some drivers literally being forced off the road if they have an accident of any description

not too sure about the windscreen though

Advertisement