Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the nicer the suit the more the hassle

Options
  • 12-07-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

the demographic of renter is changing for a lot of hobby landlords, landlords who use to house social tenant's or blue collar workers are now housing people of means with a significant income to cover 2k rents.

a lot of these renters are not buyers for a reason maybe due to bad credit, they are exceptional more savvy and legally aware a lot of the time, and with weak residential law and and a prtb system which is taking 8 weeks to even get a dispute filed let alone heard.

Could this have a serious impact going forward, on landlord defaults, or are landlords keeping a buffer to cover mortgages just in case? hard I know with tax year coming so quickly ever year.

Its so easy for relationships to breakdown and its totally in the tenants interest to not repair them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Are you complaining about tenants that are aware of their rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Or for an alternative point of view - tenants are less easy to walk all over and less willing to accept poor standards from bad landlords.

Those landlords not happy to deal with the level of expectation that comes from charging 2k rents (as you mention) don't have to charge 2k. They can lower the cost and appeal to those 'social tenant's or blue collar workers' if they so chose, but funnily enough, they don't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a damn good reason for landlords to hand properties over to Managing Agents- even if it costs them >10% of the gross rental income. Its a level of insulation and an insurance- against a landlord's ignorance getting them into trouble.

That said- rents of 2k per month- are very much in the minority- however, even in Lucan Leixlip- 1300-1400 a month for a 2 bed- is pretty much the norm (in good locations).

At the end of the day- letting a property- is supposed to be a professional business transaction between a landlord and a tenant. Once either side stops treating the relationship as a professional relationship- then troubles start and accumulate.

As it stands- there is a lot of confusion out there among both tenants and landlords- regarding their obligations and entitlements towards each other. Some pretty fundamental things are misunderstood. Having an agency that either tenants or landlords could contact for impartial advice as it pertains to current legislation- would be very helpful- instead we have Threshold who are anything but impartial, and while they are fighting tenant's corners- they're as liable to be give illegal or inapprorpriate advice as they are correct advice.

The whole system is a mess- however, meddling with the legislation on a regular basis just means that anamolies creep in- and eventually someone with reasonable means- will take exception to something- and the whole damn house of cards will come tumbling down. At the moment we have three major regimes defined as 'temporary' in nature- to get around constitutional property rights. Renew even the RPZ legislation- and someone with deep pockets will challenge it- and then you have the old (2015) legislation- that Minister Kelly introduced....... Sigh.

The whole system is a mess, badly held together with sellotape- its fine until someone tugs at it- then its as likely to unravel as anything else.

As to professionals making better or worse tenants- honestly- as long as a landlord is professional and runs their properties as a business- they have nothing whatsoever to fear (aside from the Revenue Commissioners, perhaps......)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Anyone watching The Week the Landlord Moved In, now on BBC One. Episode 3.

It's very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Anyone watching The Week the Landlord Moved In, now on BBC One. Episode 3.

It's very interesting.

Missed the start of it. How did he make his money?

• Advertisement

Missed the start of it. How did he make his money?

The young fella is a Christian selling 'how to be a . . ..' for £90.

Got shinned from the church cause he wanted to make money.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

utmbuilder wrote: »
    the demographic of renter is changing for a lot of hobby landlords, landlords who use to house social tenant's or blue collar workers are now housing people of means with a significant income to cover 2k rents.

Presumably the demographic is changing for all landlords, not just those who are "hobby" landlords (presumably that means landlords who are independently wealthy and do it for fun rather than out of economic necessity). I'm not sure how they would be able to discern which properties are being let by hobby landlords and which are not.
    a lot of these renters are not buyers for a reason maybe due to bad credit, they are exceptional more savvy and legally aware a lot of the time, and with weak residential law and and a prtb system which is taking 8 weeks to even get a dispute filed let alone heard.

Or they are renting because houses are prohibitively expensive, are (in the tenant's view) about to crash again, or because they are only planning on staying in an area for a finite period of time.

Even still, without making any comment about the demographics of renters, if what you are saying is true, why do landlords still seem to consistently seek out "professional" tenants?
    Could this have a serious impact going forward, on landlord defaults, or are landlords keeping a buffer to cover mortgages just in case? hard I know with tax year coming so quickly ever year.

I would like to think that the number of landlords who voluntarily purchase property to rent out would be aware of the risks before they purchase.

Presumably the demographic is changing for all landlords, not just those who are "hobby" landlords (presumably that means landlords who are independently wealthy and do it for fun rather than out of economic necessity). I'm not sure how they would be able to discern which properties are being let by hobby landlords and which are not.

Or they are renting because houses are prohibitively expensive, are (in the tenant's view) about to crash again, or because they are only planning on staying in an area for a finite period of time.

Even still, without making any comment about the demographics of renters, if what you are saying is true, why do landlords still seem to consistently seek out "professional" tenants?

I would like to think that the number of landlords who voluntarily purchase property to rent out would be aware of the risks before they purchase.

It's just another way of saying 'No Rent Allowance' in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

utmbuilder wrote: »
    maybe due to bad credit

Maybe they don't want to buy...
    its totally in the tenants interest to not repair them.

Nonsense.

While I would like to see more rights for landlords, your post is quite biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Maybe they don't want to buy...

Nonsense.

While I would like to see more rights for landlords, your post is quite biased.

Not sure what more rights you want. I recently went before RTB with my tenant and they were 100% on my side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

gizmo81 wrote:
    Got shinned from the church cause he wanted to make money.

The Shinning!

Advertisement