Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF Stage 12: 214.5km Pau-Peyragudes

Options
  • 12-07-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

Bit lumpy for a change and a day to see what those GC contenders who can still contend have got in the legs. 6 big climbs including 2 Cat 1s & an Haute Categorie towards the end of the stage.

CARTE.jpg
    The longest stage of the Pyrenean stay will be made of an extremely difficult sequence of climbs. As kilometres are covered, it'll only get harder with the climb up to the Col de Menté, even more selective with the Port de Balès and will become a real agony for the legs in the new final climb to Peyragudes. In the final kilometre, on the runway of the only airport of the Pyrenees, will be a passage at 16% over a distance of 200 metres.

PROFIL.png
    1 FROOME CHRISTOPHER 1 TEAM SKY 47H 01' 55''
    2 ARU FABIO 51 ASTANA PRO TEAM 47H 02' 13'' + 00' 18''
    3 BARDET ROMAIN 11 AG2R LA MONDIALE 47H 02' 46'' + 00' 51''
    4 URAN RIGOBERTO 188 CANNONDALE DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM 47H 02' 50'' + 00' 55''
    5 FUGLSANG JAKOB 53 ASTANA PRO TEAM 47H 03' 32'' + 01' 37''
    6 MARTIN DANIEL 105 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 47H 03' 39'' + 01' 44''
    7 YATES SIMON 89 ORICA - SCOTT 47H 03' 57'' + 02' 02''
    8 QUINTANA NAIRO 21 MOVISTAR TEAM 47H 04' 08'' + 02' 13''
    9 LANDA MIKEL 6 TEAM SKY 47H 05' 01'' + 03' 06''
    10 BENNETT GEORGE 162 TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO 47H 05' 48'' + 03' 53''

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Stage starts earlier so ITV4 9:45am & Eurosport 9:45am

Itv are meant to be having Phillipa Yorke contributing in some way on this stage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If dans still near the front for that last kick up youve got to fancy him

Maybe put the earlier start in the title neris , so people see it more easily. I'd have been caught out but for your post. Thanks.

I wondered why the early start even with the climbs but then I saw the total distance. Going to be a long day for many I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭happytramp

Hope Dan's not carrying any injuries from the crash on Sunday.. he went great afterwards so hopefully that's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

The stage ends uphill on the steep runway that was the set for the James Bond Movie - Tomorrow Never Dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The stage ends uphill on the steep runway that was the set for the James Bond Movie - Tomorrow Never Dies.

As both a James Bond fan and a cycling fan that's an interesting piece of trivia :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Carlton Kirby will repeat that multiple times tomorrow

(But maybe that's a discussion for another thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Ah the Peyresourde. Lovely flashbacks to a young Contador and a freakish Rasmussen dueling their way up. Mighty stuff.

Fancy a break or else Aru. Think Froome will attack but won't make too much ground. Think Quintana, Contador et al. will struggle. Contador looks shagged from crashes and mentally is a wreck and too soon for Quintana. Bardet should fare well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

This stage finale was in 2012 Tour and 2013 Vuelta

In 2012 Valverde won from a breakaway ( not in GC) ...next was peloton lead by Froome, Wiggins...Dan Martin. Nico Roche and Porte were all up there at the end

IN 2013 Vuelta Roche went off the front on an attack to gain time back on GC leaders

Stage finale and length really suits Dan Martin
    So Dan FTW

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm backin Dan for this one.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Big ask for Dan on this. He struggled with the accelerations on Sunday - but paced back on. If it's jumpy like that on the ascent, he may run out of road to catch up again. A good solid performance on the stage, with a high placing, would be a victory in itself. I will still be hoping for the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Contador to crash and pull out of the race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MPFGLB wrote: »
    IN 2013 Vuelta Roche went off the front on an attack to gain time back on GC leaders
    So Dan FTW
    I remember this, it was an epic day. It was like watching a tragedy coming into the final kilmeters. I remember him getting into the drops. I really thought he had it. It was epic.
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Big ask for Dan on this. He struggled with the accelerations on Sunday - but paced back on. If it's jumpy like that on the ascent, he may run out of road to catch up again. A good solid performance on the stage, with a high placing, would be a victory in itself. I will still be hoping for the win.
    Dan has pulled off some amazing solos on climbing days, tomorrow will really show if the crash affected him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Contador to crash and pull out of the race.

If his mechanics can find a kids 1st bike overnight & nick the stabilizers off it he,ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

MPFGLB wrote: »
    In 2012 Valverde won from a breakaway ( not in GC) ...next was peloton lead by Froome, Wiggins...Dan Martin. Nico Roche and Porte were all up there at the end
    Not too much "respect for the yellow jersey" from Froome that day. Pathetic amateur dramatics - he acted like a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

If Sky can keep 2 or 3 with Froome to the top of Peyresourde, it's a borefest and Froome puts time on other GC riders. IF they can isolate Froome before that and someone attacks with a few kms to go on Peyresourde then it becomes interesting. Anyone who's struggling could lose 90 seconds easily enough in the last few kms. Long stage too, which might change 'normal' outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Froome was saying that the last section is some form of near vertical airplane takeoff runway with a 20% gradient and if the legs go on it some guys could lose huge time.

Sky have looked much weaker this year.
    Was it Poels last year who led out much of the climbs for Sky?

Froome still seems to be a class apart on the hills. It will be interesting to see if many go early or just try to hang on for dear life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Will be interesting to see how much Froome misses Thomas today.

Dan's back is a worry, likely to niggle him today, hope I'm wrong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thud wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how much Froome misses Thomas today.

Dan's back is a worry, likely to niggle him today, hope I'm wrong

Aru has lost a good domestique himself so maybe not that much.

Unless Landa goes his own way as he and does't help the team

Wow the view at the summit there is incredible, at or slightly above the clouds.

The neutralised zone at the start is 8.2km... as if the stage wasn't long and tough enough :P

• Advertisement

Could be a day for Nico to go in the breakaway?

Fuglsang started , left arm heavily strapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Break isn't great ...would have thought it would ahve more climbers and be a bigger break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

DEm3ZETU0AIRqaK.jpg:large

Nice Finish spot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

^ Wow! It took me a second to reconcile that they are so high up that there are no reflections on that lake, it's not a lake, and that they have to go through that cloud at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

^ Wow! It took me a second to reconcile that they are so high up that there are no reflections on that lake, it's not a lake, and that they have to go through that cloud at some point.

Should have burnt off by then though.

Glad they are going up that and not down it , you'd nearly want to pack a parachute in case you got it wrong at the bottom and took the ramp :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I actually felt a bit nauseous as I stared at it.

Unbelievable photo/landscape. Very surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

I was riding in the haute pyrenees a couple weeks ago and the clouds hang very low in the valleys.. not long before you're climbing beyond them tbh.

Advertisement