Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF Stage 12: 214.5km Pau-Peyragudes

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Nairo Quintana is fat.

SAID NOBODY EVER!

Till now.....

My God, he must be over 8 stone, the beer-bellied loser. Too many ice creams maybe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Don't agree. It would be like other training aids, e.g. turbo trainers, you use them for pre and post race. Nobody would loose their jobs.

If I banned anything it would either be Garmins or race radios, I realise it would mess up tactics but I really think it could shake things up tremendously.

CramCycle wrote: »
    If I banned anything it would either be Garmins or race radios, I realise it would mess up tactics but I really think it could shake things up tremendously.

I realise banning the garmins or similar would automatically exclude powermeters until after the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,528 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's the lack of people even wanting to try to upset Sky annoys me, so many racing to just hold their top 10 instead of risking it to move up. Try anything, ride up alongside the Sky train and spend 500m gently pushing the second man off the wheel.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there... in the Dauphine a victory for the GC contenders was 'all or nothing'. They went for it - who remembers who finished 2nd in the Dauphine - and what a day of all out racing it was.

In The Tour, I think only Froome of the top 10 isn't interested in 2nd place. For Froome, 2nd place is failure... for any of the rest can we say that?
    Contador in his prime maybe, but now? I guess Quintana but he knackered himself at the Giro and everyone looks on his 2nd place there as failure.

So you're not going to see all the other contenders throw caution to the wind and gang up on the maillout jaune, like they mobbed Porte at the Dauphine...

This is explanation not criticism, I'm guessing the riders have sound professional reasons for their priorities!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,528 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

JK.BMC wrote: »
    My God, he must be over 8 stone, the beer-bellied loser. Too many ice creams maybe

Hard to employ a whippet strategy though when you're not quite at whippet weight...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

CramCycle wrote: »

I think the lack of communications would blow the whole thing open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Hard to employ a whippet strategy though when you're not quite at whippet weight...

Even the best whippet would find the Giro/Tour double very hard. But he aint beaten just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

pelevin wrote: »
    I'd not disagree with the rest of your comment though, & I'd have loads of respect for teh way Bardet rides or tries to ride in terms of intent & not having too much respect for the opposition. I think generally Aru is an all-in kind of rider also. I actually think Porte is someone who has had much more issues that way in terms of lacking the spirit of a hungry champion. I don't think Aru or Bardet would have been waiting till their 30s to be team leader in a TdF! Porte looks like he'd have had a great chance this year agreed after Froome's weakness today & his lack of dominance all year also lest it be forgot too quickly.

Agree. I think Bardet, in particular, will have smelled blood today and been given the confidence to try and draw more.
    Nairo Quintana is fat.

SAID NOBODY EVER!

Till now.....

Seriously. Look at his legs. No definition. He's definitely carrying a few more kilo than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I think lands looks stronger than froome! He 7th overall. Sky might be thinking if froome legs not strong landa could be a player

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It'll be interesting tomorrow to see what happens if the Yellow Jersey has a mechanical or needs a toilet break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Daroxtar wrote: »
    It'll be interesting tomorrow to see what happens if the Yellow Jersey has a mechanical or needs a toilet break.

Froome to wait for Landa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Froome to wait for Landa :D

Well that was a stunt Froome pulled last year, i.e. tactical race-distorting toilet break. I remember Valverde particularly looked very pi$$ed off about it. WOuld guess it very likely Brailsford was calling that tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nairo Quintana is fat.

SAID NOBODY EVER!

Till now.....

Must be mixed with Carlos Betancur! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think the lack of communications would blow the whole thing open.
    neris wrote: »

Fair play for the humour, the first video had no sound so could have been anything (I am sure sound is about to be posted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Must be mixed with Carlos Betancur! :D

Amazingly enough Betancur is in the top 20 overall. Positive signs. I really hope he gets his act together for good. Even though he's 27 he's still rather a prospect but he's as much potential as the likes of Miguel Angel Lopez.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The Landa thing was a bit daft. Of course he should have contested the stage victory if Froome blew at that late point. He was in with a shout of taking bonus seconds which otherwise would have gone to Froome's rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

The Landa thing was a bit daft. Of course he should have contested the stage victory if Froome blew at that late point. He was in with a shout of taking bonus seconds which otherwise would have gone to Froome's rivals.

exactly. and i doubt waiting to pace someone on that steep of a climb (a few hundred metres) is going to make any difference whatsoever. mountain (pardon the pun!) out a molehill :P the media need some news is what i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its a good thing for Sky. We are all talking about Landa instead of talking about Froome cracking.

He was given the perfect lead out all day but couldn't get it done. Very unlike Froome.

We'll see over the next few days whether it was just the steepness of the climb at the very end and/or a slight off day or a possible chink in the armour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Bottle Gate

UCI have reversed the time penalties..so they did not have to deal with Bardet

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-reverses-time-penalties-for-uran-and-bennett-1/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

They are really making a balls of it this year

They double down on Sagan but roll back on this

Can't wait to read their reasoning behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

There won't be any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

from the Tour Tracker

"The UCI Commissaires Panel has announced on RadioTour that after watching again the last 30km of racing, decided to annul the penalties imposed on riders Serge Pauwels (Dimension Data), George Bennett (LottoNL-Jumbo) and Rigoberto Uran (Cannondale Drapac), in light of the inability of teams to resupply their riders before the last climb of stage 12 of the 2017 Tour de France due to specific circumstances of the race which had blocked vehicles."

Advertisement