Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling Weeds

Options
  • 12-07-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

So we have an area of ground about 15 square feet in out back garden. We are going to put artificial grass on it but not until next year as finances are tight now.

As it is, its just turning in to a massive pile of weeds.

What would people suggest to control weed growth for a year? Hoping to avoid massive use of chemicals as that's very expensive and I don't want to accidently kill the dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm a great fan of old carpet for jobs like that unless you dog is likely to tear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

or some plastic sheeting, topped by some cheap stone, add a few flower pots and immediatly you have a beautiful area, you may even forget about the artificial grass, remember it will require maintenence, cheap stone does not

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Saz.J1

fixxxer wrote: »
    So we have an area of ground about 15 square feet in out back garden. We are going to put artificial grass on it but not until next year as finances are tight now.

What would people suggest to control weed growth for a year? Hoping to avoid massive use of chemicals as that's very expensive and I don't want to accidently kill the dog.

We had artificial grass for some time in our garden and we found it to be great altogether. It's not too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Thanks for the suggestions. Would it be worth turning over the soil before doing this or would that just be a wasted effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Thanks for the suggestions. Would it be worth turning over the soil before doing this or would that just be a wasted effort?
    Strim/cut down high growth, or pull up big weeds and then apply weedkiller (it's the best option, really, keep the dog off it for 24 hrs). After a while the dead growth will just disintegrate, but don't delay too long with covering it up. If old carpet is not available, black plastic is actually more effective. Get it from your local builders' providers. It's called Damp Proof Membrane (DPM).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

There's a great weed sheet (mypex) on quickcrop. I'm using it on 2 areas of my garden. I actually need more. Stops the weeds growing as they have no sunlight. You could then use it under the artificial grass.

As you might know weeds grow anywhere. We have them growing between pot plants and the mypex :mad:

They're not deep though so are easy to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That's not a massive area.
    Use a fork, shovel etc to upturn and loosen the soil. Get down on your hands and knees and take out every weed until they are all gone. One or two good session would do that. Then you are left with just the soil. Once every weed is gone all you have to do is give it a slight raking or a gentle turning over every so often so that any weed does not have the chance to take hold.

It is enjoyable work and no chemicals are needed. I feel better after doing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

bobbyss wrote: »
    ...Then you are left with just the soil. Once every weed is gone all you have to do is...
    ...hermetically seal the area! :P
    No matter what you do some seeds will make their way onto your artificial grass or stones or bare earth, and will germinate...
    That's how they got there in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

GrumpyMe wrote:
    ...hermetically seal the area! No matter what you do some seeds will make their way onto your artificial grass or stones or bare earth, and will germinate... That's how they got there in the first place?

Absolutely. Birds will drop stuff and so on. But once having done the initial hard work, a minimal effort is all that is required after that. You just need to keep an eye on it. I just take a rake to it or a shovel and give it a light turning over every so often so weeds are not given a chance . Nothing strenuous. I enjoy the exercise.

Advertisement