Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing hospital mid pregnancy

Options
  • 12-07-2017 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Has anyone ever changed hospital mid pregnancy?

Im almost 33 weeks pregnant and we are moving house soon and will be nearer to another hospital. It would prob be easier to keep going to the hospital in registered in for antenatal appointments as it's near work and I know my surroundings but it may be better to be nearer the hospital I'm delivering at?

Absolutely brutal at making decisions at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

What's the difference in distance. Personally if I was happy with the care I was receiving I wouldn't change. Are you seeing a specific consultant or a team?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have a friend who did this when she moved at the end of her first pregnancy, with no issues. The distance for her to travel would have been too much though, and it wouldn't have made any sense for her not to change.
    It does depend on the distances involved for you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭moleary20

I'm only availing of public care so I haven't got any relationships built up or anything! I've barely been in the hospital to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

moleary20 wrote: »
    I'm only availing of public care so I haven't got any relationships built up or anything! I've barely been in the hospital to be honest.

I'm quite happy with the hospital I'm in but my main reason for going there was the easiness in terms of transport. I can drive and get bus if needed when I wasn't well to drive. I only went into the hospital system at 20 weeks which was quite late.

Also I find towards the end of both pregnancies I am in and out far more frequently...eg A&E and increased appointments that I assume everyone has towards the end. I would find it frustrating having to travel more distance than needed. Maybe ask people what experience they had in hospitals to help😋

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

I switched from the Coombe to Kilkenny around 23 wks. It was just a matter of phoning both to let them know my change in circumstance - very simple.
    Tip: I took photos of everything in my Coombe chart and printed them for my Kilkenny chart so I had all my info - blood tests etc etc.
    My motivation for changing was my decision to go with homebirth instead of hospital and you have to register where your homebirth midwife is registered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would have thought you should be able to request to bring your chart with you??Surely that would be a given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Won't need your chart, the new hospital will insist on doing all tests already done from scratch for their own records. I changed from the Coombe to the Rotunda on my last pregnancy around 24 weeks and had to have bloods re-done, GTT redone, anatomy scan redone etc. They didn't even want to see my file from the Coombe despite me having it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I looked into changing hospitals on my first baby but when they'd insist on doing their own tests, and I just couldn't face another let of bloods so I stayed put :o

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

shesty wrote: »
    I would have thought you should be able to request to bring your chart with you??Surely that would be a given?

Of course, whatever suits you best. It just saved me the bother of going to get it.

Advertisement