Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games/activities for older babies/toddlers

Options
  • 12-07-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Hey!

I was talking to a teacher recently who was telling me about stuff that they do with their students (3-5yrs) in class that help with development of gross and fine motor skills. It got me thinking, so I had a look on Pinterest and came across a load of interesting games and activities to keep babies and toddlers entertained.

So, I'd love to know what games/activities/entertainment ye do with yer little ones? Or what do they love doing in creche etc?

A few I came across that would be easy to do at home is peanut butter play doh, yoghurt finger Paint and putting coloured tape on surfaces for baby to pull off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

To be honest I think a few developmentally good toys rather than heaps and heaps of plastic toys is better to keep kids busy is better for their development. Once you have some toys that help with gross and fine motor skills, I think encouraging imaginative play and independent play is better for children than parents lining up heaps of planned activities. Also physical exercise and lots of outdoor play will help with senses like smell, touch etc. Include the child in normal day to day activities like cooking, baking and cleaning. I wouldn't be one for constantly keeping kids amused. Let them get bored and use their imaginations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My two and a half year old is currently hanging my delivery hangers on the door handle, giggling as he knocks them off, bringing them back to the couch and starting all over again. He started the 'game' himself and has been at it for 20 minutes narrating to himself 'this go here'.

I don't do much specific games either, lots of toys but up to him to decide. I play with him when he asks and I make suggestions too (e.g. Where is your fire engine). I do have a tower for the kitchen that he can safely stand in and he helps with the kitchen tasks.

Best toys for him has been the ikea kitchen and then tons of other stuff, he's very much an independent player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thanks ladies!

I'm all for independent play! She has a few teddies, but plenty of balls and blocks that she loves inspecting/banging together/putting into tubs etc. I guess, I want to do what I can to help her along and encourage imagination etc. I'm a stay at home mother, so she won't be going to crèche for another few years and part of me is afraid she might miss out on stuff because of that. I should add that she's not 1 yet, so there's no panic. I'm just interested in what others do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Dress up box is a big hit here and an Ikea kitchen that helps with imaginative play. I have two girls 4 and 1 but my 2 yr old nephew loves it too.
    Water table out the back with lots of little tubs and bowls and cups for them to play with the water. We also have a sandpit that is the same idea.
    Large lego blocks, they both love building and knocking down etc
    Jigsaws, heaps of them. The wooden ones for the smaller lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Aw ya, a sand pit is a definite for next summer. She's not old enough at the moment for something like that. I remember spending whole summers in the sandpit at home when I was a kid!

I want to get the play room set up for her for her first birthday as well, so a trip to IKEA will be involved, so it's great to hear of the IKEA stuff that's good as well! And I must get some jigsaws as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Jigsaws are great. They really encourage children. Lots of books are also wonderful. Also getting my toddler to read stories to her teddies is brilliant as she can tell them the story from the pictures and memory of being told the stories. She's generally good for playing alone for a while with her imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The Ikea kitchen is wonderful and I got a kettle for it which he constantly makes tea for everyone. I also got a wooden playhouse for 10e on adverts and did it up for him. Added a set of furniture from ebay for 25 and he gets a lot of go out of it "washing" his firemen and putting them to bed.

Everything else is more typical but his favourites are his helicopter (rotating turbines), firetrucks (wooden in lidl with extra screws for reinforcement), plastic lawnmower from smyths and his teddies. Oh and he has his "mobile phone" which he wanders around having conversations to himself on

I love jigsaws but he hates them. He has tons of books and will sit down to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

scarepanda wrote: »
    Thanks ladies!

I'm all for independent play! She has a few teddies, but plenty of balls and blocks that she loves inspecting/banging together/putting into tubs etc. I guess, I want to do what I can to help her along and encourage imagination etc. I'm a stay at home mother, so she won't be going to crèche for another few years and part of me is afraid she might miss out on stuff because of that. I should add that she's not 1 yet, so there's no panic. I'm just interested in what others do!

Over the next couple of years I suggest presents such as
    Doll
    Buggy
    Toy kitchen with accessories
    Farm animals for imaginative play

Then duplo for imaginative play and fine motor skills

Books
    Jigsaws
    Blocks for stacking (fine motor skills)
    A vehicle for pushing

Sandpit for sensory play
    Water play (washing cars/animals)
    Painting
    Playdoh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Colouring!!Teachers will thank you for it.Develops their fine motor skills, so important in today's world where so many kids start school able to manipulate an ipad but unable to hold pencils or colour or write for long because they've never had to use those motor skills .I sit and chat with my (now) 3 year old while we colour.She used to ask to colour when she was younger and wanted some time with me.
    Otherwise....Ikea kitchen and accessories, duplo, sandpit, mothercare have great little people (happyland) which are loved here, books, jigsaws, wooden trains...all loved in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Simple playdoh is good, they can get very creative with it.

My little lads creche do a lot of baking with them which they love. Pottery making is also something they do and find fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement