Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport/stadium

Options
  • 12-07-2017 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I hear someone was proposing that an all purpose stadium/venue be put into the old airport.
    I like that idea, what do other's here think?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Waste of a good industrial site. There's a perfectly good stadium in Tuam so I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

A great idea, but in fairness, it's located on a great area with easy car and bus accessibility, away from large areas of houses, plenty of parking on site - of course it won't be built!! That would be the right thing to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Waste of a good industrial site. There's a perfectly good stadium in Tuam so I hear.

Is the stadia in Tuam as big as Pearse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Like the massive industrial estate out in Oranmore that companies are scrambling to get into!

Great idea, massive location and great access. Sports/concert venue, 50m pool, running track, diving boards

Great access in a car - It is miles from town.

Can you imagine trying to sell it to for example visiting rugby fans - you can have a pint in Grealishes but if you want to go anywhere else or to get back to your accomodation you will need to arrange a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Can you imagine trying to sell it to for example visiting rugby fans - you can have a pint in Grealishes but if you want to go anywhere else or to get back to your accomodation you will need to arrange a taxi.

Phoenix park in dublin sells out everytime someone is playing in it Thats a good 5 k from a pint and youd do well to get a taxi there

This type of activity village is common in europe, so many would be well used to it, additionally, if they set the village up properly, they'll not want to leave. Proper bus/train/tram links are vital to set up along side the planning.

Bredabe wrote: »
    This type of activity village is common in europe, so many would be well used to it, additionally, if they set the village up properly, they'll not want to leave. Proper bus/train/tram links are vital to set up along side the planning.

I'd have taken that as a given also!!

ratracer wrote: »
    I'd have taken that as a given also!!
    Me too, but I see a lack of public transport or availability of it as a reason to not build there, on other social media. Seems to me ppl think it will not work cause they dont know/think transport will be factored into the planning.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Me too, but I see a lack of public transport or availability of it as a reason to not build there, on other social media. Seems to me ppl think it will not work cause they dont know/think transport will be factored into the planning.

Perhaps because they realise what country they are living in, and know that public transport is not considered as a given in any effort here. Even when it is planned, there is no guarantee that the plan will actually be carried out (eg the GAA's traffic management plan for Pearse Stadium).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bazzy wrote: »
    Phoenix park in dublin sells out everytime someone is playing in it Thats a good 5 k from a pint and youd do well to get a taxi there
    Nancy Hands and Ryans are 1 km walk from the Zoo. If you've had to walk 5k after a gig, some crafty Dub has been taking the mick out of you with directions.

Apropos of nothing, does Roscommon TD Michael Fitzmaurice (for this is his baby) stand to gain any votes in that particular parish under re-drawn boundaries in the next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭cena

Like the massive industrial estate out in Oranmore that companies are scrambling to get into!

Great idea, massive location and great access. Sports/concert venue, 50m pool, running track, diving boards

Maybe an ice rink. I was at one last year where they had a swimming gym etc with a big size ice rink upstairs with plenty of seating

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Okay, there's a long thread on this elsewhere but as I understand it, Galway flying club are still there and it's a refuelling station for the Coast Guard and Army paitent transport helicopters coming back from UCHG

flazio wrote: »
    Okay, there's a long thread on this elsewhere but as I understand it, Galway flying club are still there and it's a refuelling station for the Coast Guard and Army paitent transport helicopters coming back from UCHG

There are no refuelling facilities at Galway airport for helicopters, and have not been for some time.
    Galway Flying Club do still use the runway and have their own smaller hangar/ sheds.

I'd rather they put the money into getting it back up and running as an airport rather than this.

I'd rather they put the money into getting it back up and running as an airport rather than this.

That is not going to happen though - there is no room to extend the runway to allow commercial aviation, and much as a private terminal would be nice to have, it obviously is not a sustainable venture.
    I would have been in favour of Galway airport and frequently flew from there over the years, but with motorway access do Shannon and a pretty decent road to Knock, a third large international airport on the western seaboard is not a good use of public money imo.

I can't see a stadium or anything useful being built here either fwiw, it's just another abandoned waste of space a la corrib great southern.

ratracer wrote: »
    That is not going to happen though - there is no room to extend the runway to allow commercial aviation, and much as a private terminal would be nice to have, it obviously is not a sustainable venture.
    I would have been in favour of Galway airport and frequently flew from there over the years, but with motorway access do Shannon and a pretty decent road to Knock, a third large international airport on the western seaboard is not a good use of public money imo.

I can't see a stadium or anything useful being built here either fwiw, it's just another abandoned waste of space a la corrib great southern.

I was more thinking of getting aerlingus regional or other airlines operating props to fly from there. I can remember how busy the airport was and flew from there many times myself I think it would be popular people flying to from the UK especially even with shannon so close.

I understand extending the runway would be difficult and expensive though looking on google maps you could nearly double it and still not get near houses.

I was more thinking of getting aerlingus regional or other airlines operating props to fly from there. I can remember how busy the airport was and flew from there many times myself I think it would be popular people flying to from the UK especially even with shannon so close.

Except that it wasnt viable when the road to Shannon and Dublin was worse. So how would it be viable now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Except that it wasnt viable when the road to Shannon and Dublin was worse. So how would it be viable now?

It was viable until Aer Arann pulled the plug because the Government pulled the PSO contract for them to the Regional Airports, with the current boom back again there is no reason why the likes of Stobart who operate regional flights for Aer Lingus who by the way use the very same aircraft that were used by Aer Arann on Galway routes would not come back if it was reopened, either way its a disgrace that's it closed look at how Weston is doing with the private flyers and company aircraft like the ones that used to come in here for Boston and Metronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The fact it was pso routes suggests it wasn't viable without government subsidies. That's the nature of a pso route? If it was really viable commercial operators would have taken the route over and they just didn't.

There just isn't a need for an airport in galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

vkid wrote: »
    The fact it was pso routes suggests it wasn't viable without government subsidies. That's the nature of a pso route? If it was really viable commercial operators would have taken the route over and they just didn't.

There just isn't a need for an airport in galway.

Kerry and Donegal both operate with PSO subsidy Kerry lying halfway between Cork and Shannon Airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Storm 10 wrote:
    Kerry and Donegal both operate with PSO subsidy Kerry lying halfway between Cork and Shannon Airports.

The Dublin routes are the only PSO ones I think. The lack of motorway is the only reason they still have them. Open to correction there.

Even if it's not viable I think Galway should have an airport and the gov should subsidise if necessary to make it viable for operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

This stadium (just 1-lucky Tuam to have more) is it near a Gluas stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya because subsidising non viable transport options is going great in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

I'd love to think we could have something like this alas experience tells me it will never go ahead. People will object and it will go through the mill for years until such point as it's abandoned. Take apple data centre for exampl, outer city bypass and I'm sure numerous other example. City planner haven't a clue and are afraid to make decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Faze11 wrote: »
    I'd love to think we could have something like this alas experience tells me it will never go ahead. People will object and it will go through the mill for years until such point as it's abandoned. Take apple data centre for exampl, outer city bypass and I'm sure numerous other example. City planner haven't a clue and are afraid to make decisions.

In fairness to the planners, they have made decisions.

The holdup is due to objectors.

Should be some restrictions on right of objectors to hold up projects

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Waste of money having an airport here. Better use of funds would be to back viable direct public transport to Knock and/or Shannon from Galway. 

If they were to build anything on the site an indoor arena is badly needed to hold concerts. Kind of stupid building another Stadium in the region in Ireland where it rains the most!

Advertisement