Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HGV Versus Cyclist Road Rage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Another wrinkle in the narrative is that bad cycle lanes here (and certainly in the UK) have conditioned people into thinking that this is the correct way to negotiate a junction: go up the inside of traffic and act as if you have priority over turning traffic.

There are junctions where I can't get the driver to turn and I have to go up the inside and straight on. The drivers frequently (and decently) wait and give cyclists on the inside priority. Even waving them on to turn sometimes won't work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GreeBo wrote: »
    So how long, in your opinion, should he have to sit in the middle of the junction until he is sure all the illegally going straight on bikes have gone?
    An hour or two maybe?
    Did you read my post at all? He could have easily merged to the right to make space and just continued. The road merges into a single lane after the junction which is far wider.
    They were idiots. And I say this as someone who has commuted into the City Center for 20 years.
    You just CANNOT put yourself into that position.
    100% agree, particularly in London where there is a high rate of HGV related deaths in regards cyclists
    Fian wrote: »
    Cyclists were muppets. dumb to filter inside a HGV using a left turn only lane.

Imo Driver was far worse. It is almost as if he wanted to "educate" the cyclists into the error of their ways - he is clearly accustomed to and understandably annoyed by cyclists filtering inside him like that. I don't suggest he intended to close pass or hit the cyclist he collided with - it is clear he didn't see him, but i think he was trying to close off the cyclists behind him.
    Possibly but I really think he just didn't think it through.
    He did well to react and stop as he did. Cyclist was extremely lucky. It was scary.
    The fact that he heard the lad at all was impressive.
    Both were at fault but tbh the cyclists were just dumb, the truck driver appeared to be aggressively asserting his entitlements.
    I really don't think he wanted to educate them, I don't think it was intentional. It was a pretty standard take off for a HGV. It looks like acceleration but that is just how it looks when some drivers move off. It genuinely looks like he just misread or did not understand what was happening. There is no doubt in my mind that the cyclists is in the wrong but like I said, doesn't excuse the driver not paying enough attention.

More surprised no one is criticising the camera mans cycling more. He was in a position in that there is not a hope in hell the driver would have noticed him under his wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This was discussed a few weeks ago.

I wouldn't agree with the words "road rage" in the title, as it infers a certain thing. Cyclists were pretty dumb in my opinion to do what they did, and the reaction by the driver was imo justifiable at that particular time.

There's the argument to be made by some that the truck driver accelerated hard and purposely to put them into that position, but the cyclists should have hung back until past the squeeze point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

CramCycle wrote: »
    Rubbish. I have driven HGVs, if he was looking he would have seen the camera biker. He hit the gas to cut off the cyclists he could see or he is incompetent. The cyclists are in the wrong, no doubt, that does not mean the driver was in the right. Thinking it does shows a lack of common sense or empathy. Neither of which are acceptable when in charge of a vehicle of that power and size.

My cousin mentioned something that I had not considered (and I doubt many others may half either) - he drives HGVs and bigger, think stuff like crane trucks, etc. What looks like the driver piling on the accelerator may actually be an automatic gearbox which would see a lull followed by increasing speed.

Lemming wrote: »
    My cousin mentioned something that I had not considered (and I doubt many others may half either) - he drives HGVs and bigger, think stuff like crane trucks, etc. What looks like the driver piling on the accelerator may actually be an automatic gearbox which would see a lull followed by increasing speed.

You are 100% right and I think I changed my mind when I rewatched the video, it looked like a normal gear change. It might not even be an automatic, often you see from take off the first one or two shifts can be quite clunky. Particularly depending on the weight and whether the driver has recently loaded/unloaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

Cyclists clearly wrong here

they pulled into the turn left lane and went straight, no question.
    if they wanted to go straight on, they should have stopped behind the truck, in the straight lane

If a car did this, they would have been clearly wrong, cyclist must use the same rules of the road as everyone else
    (plus they are very vulnerable on the road and should be extra careful because of the bad drivers, not drivers fault here though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its impossible to prove what the HGV intention was. Its seem unlikely he was oblivious to likelihood of cyclists undertaking him. Neither option is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ancuncha wrote: »
    Cyclists clearly wrong here

they pulled into the turn left lane and went straight, no question.
    if they wanted to go straight on, they should have stopped behind the truck, in the straight lane

If a car did this, they would have been clearly wrong, cyclist must use the same rules of the road as everyone else
    (plus they are very vulnerable on the road and should be extra careful because of the bad drivers. The driver of the HGV has a duty of care to ensure he does not injure or kill any human being regardless of who's right or wrong! not drivers fault here though!)

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

maximoose wrote: »
    ......... then wonder why there's horns blaring from the buses they cut off.........

A few of them are a bit special and think they are in the Tour de France, like this superstar :

or this misfortune, you'd feel sorry for his parents :

gctest50 wrote: »
    A few of them are a bit special and think they are in the Tour de France, like this superstar :

Thats a mature Chris Froome looking at his stem the whole bike ride :D

Actually saw a girl do something similar on O'Connell St a few years ago only into the back of a bus stopped in traffic , had to be stretchered away. This guy didn't seem to fare too badly.

EDIT: Just saw the second video, he was fierce lucky there could have been a lot worse had that bus come into play. And first thing the driver says is to ask if he's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

or this misfortune, you'd feel sorry for his parents :

You seem to take a disturbing degree of pleasure in sneering at these accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm surprised at Cramcycle defending these cyclists to be honest.

Personally I don't see any defence for the cyclists that decided to cycle up the inside of a HGV entering a pinch point. If anything they're assholes and one of the major reasons for the cyclist v motorist debate.

At no point were they going to end up anywhere other than in the blind spot of an articulated lorry and regardless of right or wrong that is one place you don't want to be.

As for the driver being a muppet he was right on the money as far as I'm concerned if these gob****es don't realise their own frailty then having it pointed it out to them now and again will hopefully hammer it home.

As for the driver allowing time for for additional cyclists on his left to advance as has already been pointed out bar the ones to the front of the cab (which is also a blind spot to the driver) they were all in a left turning lane and there was no ASL.

All in all a lucky escape and no one to blame but himself and luckily no one has to explain his stupidity to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

It was 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.

Lemming wrote: »

It's not uncommon for a driver to miss gears particularly in a split box this creates a lull then a surge when he finds a gear. Watch any truck leaving the lights they all have a similar outset sudden surge-lull-surge

You seem to take a disturbing degree of pleasure in sneering at these accidents.

Those ones above are not "accidents"

- they're pushing the limits, - too fast, too furious

This on the other hand is not an excuse, every cyclist in that lane after the truck arrived was in the wrong. Right or wrong, your priority on the road must always be yourself. The driver was a muppet but he had a point. You will end up dead.
    The cyclists are in the wrong, no doubt,
    ..... there were muppets there.
    The cyclists were muppets, all of them.
    Very selective, bar the OP, everyone else would appear to have called the cyclists muppets, although I think sheeple is probably more accurate.
    Every cyclist in that video was in the wrong, most probably due to being sheep or just because they see others do it every day and think, ah shure, that's grand.
    Everyone here seems to agree that the cyclists were in the wrong. ......
    The position of the cyclists is bred from poor road craft practices that are bet into people from a young age.
    All of the cyclists were wrong,
    100% on the cyclist applying the brake, never should have been there in the first place, just years of a large number of the population telling him that is the right place to be. Being a sheep, he doesn't realise the issue when the vehicle is a HGV.
    Interestingly if the driver had not pulled right after colliding, there is a good chance the camera man would have been taken out of it as well. The guy who was hit was right and centre for a Darwin award. How could he not have noticed the cab to his left? But the camera man follows him as if he expects some quality footage.
    More surprised no one is criticising the camera mans cycling more.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm surprised at Cramcycle defending these cyclists to be honest.

I don't think people read my posts :pac:

Perhaps I should rephrase that.

Surprised you admonished the driver.

I fairness you did have a lot of posts I can't be reading them all that would allow me give a balanced and educated response :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

where are these muppets you speak of???

Muppets-Group-Bicycle-Ride.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

The truck driver was completely in the wrong and wasn't even apologetic. His conduct was completely unacceptable and he will likely be fired from his job or at the very least, banned from driving for a good while anyway.

I totally disagree with this statement. The cyclist was in the trucks blindspot and went straight on in a lane for left turn only. It was pure stupidity by the cyclist(s)

The first thing you do as a cyclist is protect yourself. You dont ever try and undertake a truck at lights from the wrong lane your just asking for trouble. I value my life and you only get one of them. If that was me on my bike Id be sitting behind the truck waiting for it to pull off, getting to my destination 10 seconds faster isn't worth risking my life over.

• Advertisement

These ones ?

or these where the other item is moving ? :

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

These ones ? ...or these where the other item is moving ? :

If only he saw the red light bwah hahahaha

Roadhawk wrote: »

Now imagine each cyclist was driving a car (or HGV)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Roadhawk wrote: »

The driver actually went when the light was red too

For their own safety, they need to be a lot more chilled out, like this woman :

( but some of the misfortunes are probably grumpy because they've erectile dysfunction from all the bad roads )

3n4IBfo.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For their own safety, they need to be a lot more chilled out, like this woman :

( but some of the misfortunes are probably grumpy because they've erectile dysfunction from all the bad roads )

She's chilled because she's cycling in a country that provides proper infrastructure so she can go out and enjoy her cycle and where drivers are notably better.

Her beer might be flat though if it's a little bumpy

Wonder who pays for any damage to the three cars in those videos and the parking barrier !?
    Cyclists were 100% in the wrong in all 4 cases.

Wonder who pays for any damage to the three cars in those videos and the parking barrier !?

Eh the cyclists pay. Who else?

The cyclist

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Eh the cyclists pay. Who else?

And if he tells the motorist to Harvey Smith ?. Grounds there to make insurance mandatory I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement