Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HGV Versus Cyclist Road Rage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Both were in the wrong, but those cyclists are complete idiots. Just brain dead, the lot of them.

"It's London mate" like wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

beauf wrote: »
    Dogs get run over a lot.
    So do cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Assuming people (or dogs) will move out your way is therefore a seriously flawed assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Assuming people (or dogs) will move out your way is therefore a seriously flawed assumption.
    ...or HGVs

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

tomasrojo wrote:
    As I said, they also kill entirely blameless people. And the death penalty for being careless or momentarily thoughtless is a bit harsh.

Nice whataboutary and dodging of the question.

• Advertisement

Falcon L wrote:
    The truck driver had a lot of stuff going on at that time. The work of driving the truck, which is harder than you'd think. He was watching the traffic coming up on his right, trying to handle the merge, and dealing with a bullying pack of cyclists on his left. He probably took his eye off the nearside mirror for a second to glance at the offside one making sure he didn't have cyclists flying up into the crush on his offside, as well as making sure he wasn't about to tear the side out of a car.

Bearing in mind the cab can have anywhere between seven and ten mirrors AND the driver is looking ahead of him as well as checking the mirrors, working his way through (probably) a 16 speed gearbox and everything else going on around him and yet a few cyclists aren't happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    Nice whataboutary and dodging of the question.

Sorry, what was your question?

Falcon L wrote: »
    Yes, I would consider their actions as bullying. They were happy to put their squishy bodies on the line thinking that the truck driver would take evasive action and they would have "won" that piece of road.

That's pure hyperbole. (Rhetoricians, correct me.)

So do cyclists.

They don't really. It's actually pretty uncommon.

Of course, if you don't go up the inside of a HGV at a junction, your odds are even better.

...or HGVs

Hence city bans.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote:
    Sorry, what was your question?

Take your pick from this:
    Bushmanpm wrote:
    LGV's can be permitted off peak? Have you ever driven in London? There is no off peak. And why should they anyway? To accommodate braindead morons who can't/won't obey the traffic laws? And what about their driving hours on their tacho? And what about the extra wages in overtime? Just because of dumb cyclists? How about cyclists just do it as they're supposed to and there wouldn't be any issues?

tomasrojo wrote:
    As I said, they also kill entirely blameless people. And the death penalty for being careless or momentarily thoughtless is a bit harsh.

Entirely blameless people don't use a left turn only lane to go straight ahead. If anyone killed by a lorry, car, bus or any other motor vehicle is entirely blameless there would be far more prosecutions for causing death by dangerous driving. As for those who are careless, should they be on a cycle on the roads? You certainly wouldn't want someone careless behind the wheel of a LGV.

I answered most of those.

The ones that weren't rhetorical questions anyway.
    You certainly wouldn't want someone careless behind the wheel of a LGV.

You don't read the news, perhaps.

Just out of interest, is it your contention, since you've posted the question twice, that traffic in London is equally as heavy at all times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

That trucker knew full well what he was doing and what was around him.
    Watch the video again. He got out of the cab and was able to give an accurate account of where the cyclists were, and the fact that they were in a left-turn lane etc while he was waiting for the green light.
    I think the cyclists were caught out by the rapid acceleration of the truck - maybe the trailer was empty - as well as the bunching up of a few of them. Usually the cyclists would be safely ahead of the truck at that pinch point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Yes, I would consider their actions as bullying. They were happy to put their squishy bodies on the line thinking that the truck driver would take evasive action and they would have "won" that piece of road.

Cyclists shouldn't play chicken with other vehicles.
    If it had been a group of scruffy motorcyclists behaving as the cyclists did there'd be no sympathy for them or the 'victim'.
    It would be a case of serves them right.

Cyclists want it every way, everyone else looking out for them except themselves.

dense wrote: »
    Cyclists shouldn't play chicken with other vehicles.
    If it had been a group of scruffy motorcyclists behaving as the cyclists did there'd be no sympathy for them or the 'victim'.
    It would be a case of serves them right.

Cyclists want it every way, everyone else looking out for them except themselves.

There was no sympathy here for cyclists either.

You're looking for bias where there is none.

dense wrote:
    Cyclists shouldn't play chicken with other vehicles. If it had been a group of scruffy motorcyclists behaving as the cyclists did there'd be no sympathy for them or the 'victim'. It would be a case of serves them right.

Can you imagine what boards would be like if bikers vented every time a biker was killed? Except they are not cry baby whinge pussies.
    dense wrote:

I concluded long ago that a fair proportion of them want all the rights of being on the road but with none of the responsibilities.

Can you imagine what boards would be like if bikers vented every time a biker was killed? Except they are not cry baby whinge pussies.

I concluded long ago that a fair proportion of them want all the rights of being on the road but with none of the responsibilities.

Maybe the cycling forum should copy the bikes charter...
    if you have nothing helpful or constructive to add to a thread and are simply trolling a "two wheels bad four wheels good" line or winding up those who ride, then you will be banned from all Motors forums.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have you read any of the posts by cyclists in this thread. Every single post bar the OP have lambasted the cyclists in the video.
    Very manly
    Cyclists have all the rights of being on the road, same as everyone else. The only thing most of us want is none of the BS us vs. them attitude. Thankfully it seems to be a minority with that attitude but unfortunately that minority seem to have loudspeakers and are assh0les. The responsibilities are there already for us. Much like bikers, the responsibility is obvious.

I'll live with it for now. The smug attitude keeps me going :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

deandean wrote: »
    That trucker knew full well what he was doing and what was around him.
    Watch the video again. He got out of the cab and was able to give an accurate account of where the cyclists were, and the fact that they were in a left-turn lane etc while he was waiting for the green light.
    I think the cyclists were caught out by the rapid acceleration of the truck - maybe the trailer was empty - as well as the bunching up of a few of them. Usually the cyclists would be safely ahead of the truck at that pinch point.

Totally agree. The cyclists were in the wrong.

NIMBY's would probably argue differently, and I have not read the whole thread.

That bloke is lucky to be alive tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

deandean wrote: »

Maybe cyclists shouldn't make life and death decisions based on their capability to judge how fast trucks can accelerate.

CramCycle wrote:
    I'll live with it for now. The smug attitude keeps me going

Fair play to ya, I prefer 955cc of fuel injected Triumph to keep me going ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fair play to ya, I prefer 955cc of fuel injected Triumph to keep me going ;-)

Haven't ridden a motorbike in 15years, used to love it, probably still do. Nothing with much power though.

CramCycle wrote:
    Haven't ridden a motorbike in 15years, used to love it, probably still do. Nothing with much power though.

As much as I also love cars and driving, there's something that extra bit special about two wheels, whether I'm on a motorbike or a cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Apologies if it's been mentioned, but there's a part of the Dublin quays (on/past Ellis quay I think) where the road suddenly offers a "left turn only" lane and you have to put your life into your hands to get to the middle lane, if the traffic is flowing. I think if the lights were red, I would definitely not remain in the left turn only lane beside a truck either there or in the example in the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

One of my best mates died turning a corner - knocked off his bike and the HGV ran over his chest. I would hope in this video the driver didn't see the cyclist and the cyclist did not play chicken with the HGV. it's no game!

CramCycle wrote: »
    Have you read any of the posts by cyclists in this thread. Every single post bar the OP have lambasted the cyclists in the video.
    Very manly

Cyclists have all the rights of being on the road, same as everyone else. The only thing most of us want is none of the BS us vs. them attitude. Thankfully it seems to be a minority with that attitude but unfortunately that minority seem to have loudspeakers and are assh0les. The responsibilities are there already for us. Much like bikers, the responsibility is obvious.

I'll live with it for now. The smug attitude keeps me going :pac:

Unfortunately, many, (not all) cyclists act as if they're playing the vulnerable card mingling with fast moving traffifc hoping the high moral ground will save their ass - I'll do what I want, everyones going to do everything to avoid hitting me even if I pull stupid stunts like in the video.

Unfortunately many find out too late that it's a risky game.

I cycle, but I wouldn't have the nerve to try to be assertive or "own the road", to even pull broadside with a vehicle that I have no confidence the driver can even see me.

Does that make me a wimp on wheels? Probably, but one that isn't going under the wheels by expecting someone else not to miss me in their mirror.

If a certain road and it's traffic is too dangerous to cycle on, is it worth the risk?

Would you recommend say a novice cyclist to use such a road?

If a certain road and it's traffic is too dangerous to cycle on, is it worth the risk?

Would you recommend say a novice cyclist to use such a road?

Give us the accident stats on the road you mean then judge.

Otherwise you're just listening to chinese whispers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Late to this but I am sure most has been posted but, I think all involved should count themselves lucky, that either they didn't kill someone or got injured or killed.

It goes without saying. Drivers make mistakes, cyclists make mistakes. Either one can be fatal more so for the cyclist. We need to look after one another on the roads. And stop with the mentality of them vs us. Use common sense if someone is driving like an idiot then pull back, get out of that situation, don't put yourself in harms way to prove a point. Not all drivers are good either, don't assume they are or even they they know what they are doing.

If you take anything from this. Don't pull up along side a stopped HGV, stay behind or out in front. I would even go as a far as saying don't pull up beside one while moving over junctions, it could decide to turn left or right without indicating.

And never assume either than someone has seen you either or they will do a or b.

• Advertisement

Give us the accident stats on the road you mean then judge.

Otherwise you're just listening to chinese whispers.

You mean cyclist death rates don't you? I don't have them and we could argue about what a novice is and at what point one ceases to be a novice cyclist.
    Point is moot.
    Would you recommend a novice to pull alongside a stopped artic at a junction?
    Personally I wouldn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement