Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HGV Versus Cyclist Road Rage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    HGV driver should be arrested and charged based on this video evidence.. Fine, points on his licence and sent on a driver awareness course.

No excuse for being this close to the kerb and cyclists:

cycle-3.jpg

One of the stupidest things if read on this.

The excuse for being so close to the kerb is simply the truck would be in the path of the on coming traffic.

So then he needs to buy a better truck with better visibility, or fit more mirrors or cameras, or provide a banksman to sit in the passenger seat and watch out for cyclists.

No matter how many mirrors or cameras you can't watch every single one of them at the same time.

Am I the only HGV driver ere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Am I the only HGV driver ere

Not the only one, although I haven't driven one in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I've said it many times before, how can a truck be road legal if the driver cannot see the circumference of his truck, either through mirrors, cameras or both.

No point in saying did You not See the adverts or whatever he said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The excuse for being so close to the kerb is simply the truck would be in the path of the on coming traffic.
    I don't think it's a stupid point. Well, I also made it, so I would say that!

(Again, though it's been said a million times, the fault lies with the cyclists, but I'll just repeat it here.)

If there isn't room to leave a metre or or a metre and a half on the left because of oncoming traffic, it would have been a good idea to proceed slowly. Not because there was a tiny chance of cyclists being on his left ... there was a pretty good chance there were some careless cyclists still on his left. Cyclists were emerging into his field of vision consistently as he started moving forward.

I have sympathy for the HGV driver; HGVs are not designed to operate in these conditions.

(The problem is compounded by the cyclist not making any effort to see how close the HGV is. If he'd looked over his shoulder he'd probably would hit the brakes and stayed out of the rapidly narrowing wedge of road before him.)

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not the only one, although I haven't driven one in years.

Let me guess left the job because you were sick s#/t of cyclist :D

Incidentally, HGVs can be designed with minimal blind spots. See the Scania truck in the "vampire cyclists" RSA road advert.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't think it's a stupid point. Well, I also made it, so I would say that!

(Again, though it's been said a million times, the fault lies with the cyclists, but I'll just repeat it here.)

If there isn't room to leave a metre or or a metre and a half on the left because of oncoming traffic, it would have been a good idea to proceed slowly. Not because there was a tiny chance of cyclists being on his left ... there was a pretty good chance there were some careless cyclists still on his left. Cyclists were emerging into his field of vision consistently as he started moving forward.

I have sympathy for the HGV driver; HGVs are not designed to operate in these conditions.

(The problem is compounded by the cyclist not making any effort to see how close the HGV is. If he'd looked over his shoulder he'd probably would hit the brakes and stayed out of the rapidly narrowing wedge of road before him.)

No they're not but unfortunately not much we can do about it....

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I cant believe its taken me this long to notice this!

The real problem here is not the road surface, junction layout or even the LAW!

No...the reason the HGV driver and cyclists collided (see...don't want to aportion blame to either party) is the cyclists are not wearing any Hi-ViZ clothing! :)

[/thread].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I've had something like that happen on the quays outside the chancery bar where the footpath gets wider, an aircoach came from behind at speed and only for I could slow down and step/lean into the path I'd be gone.

Well I gave chase like a rocket after him and caught him in traffic, he acted like he didn't See Me and just closed his window, I banged on his window, he opened it and basically said he gave me loads of room and then closed his window.

So with that I smashed his very large wing mirror with my fist.

Wan$er bus driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Both the cyclist and the HGV driver were idiots. Both didn't have any respect for each other.

I think the squishy one is the bigger idiot though. As the non squishy one will walk away from any accident........Not gonna help arguing who's in the right/wrong when you're 6 foot under!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Phil.x wrote: »
    I've had something like that happen on the quays outside the chancery bar where the footpath gets wider, an aircoach came from behind at speed and only for I could slow down and step/lean into the path I'd be gone.

Well I gave chase like a rocket after him and caught him in traffic, he acted like he didn't See Me and just closed his window, I banged on his window, he opened it and basically said he gave me loads of room and then closed his window.

Wan$er bus driver.

That't not quite the same though. You were if I'm correct about the quays in the lane as you correctly should have been. These were all in the Left turning lane where straight in front of them was a kerb. They had to deviate into the HGV lane to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

The whole pack of cyclists had a death wish doing this

If you see any form of HGV either get infront of him or behind him.... simple

I drive HGV's and I'm also a cyclist and when ever I see anything bigger than a transit on the bike I always hold back and let them do their thing... better a minute late than in a box

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Let me guess left the job because you were sick s#/t of cyclist :D

I rode around with my father as a child in London (before the time of H&S) and he would get me to be his extra eyes out the left window. Got my license as soon as I was old enough and drew stone from a local quarry for a few years. Minimal driving in Dublin or major cities, most of that experience was as a ride along.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

... I banged on his window...

Why do cyclists bang on windows? its terribly annoying. Imagine pedestrians going around kicking your wheels to get your attention.

And to add, there is no need for confrontation. There's bucket loads of people going around pointing out things that has nothing to do with them. Mind your business and carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Why do cyclists bang on windows? its terribly annoying. Imagine pedestrians going around kicking your wheels to get your attention.

And to add, there is no need for confrontation. There's bucket loads of people going around pointing out things that has nothing to do with them. Mind your business and carry on!

Absolutely not the same.

You have to be a very selfish person to go around with this attitude. I don't know if its an Irish , sure I'll put up with it mentality but it's ridiculous. If its dangerous and concerning it sure does have something to do with them. Would you rather have a chat with someone, or reported to Traffic Watch?

Why do drivers needlessly beep, cut I close blah, blah, blah. Yet again you have nothing but whataboutery to add. You should seriously consider not posting in the forum as you never seem to add anything constructive.

papu wrote: »
    Absolutely not the same.

You have to be a very selfish person to go around with this attitude. I don't know if its an Irish , sure I'll put up with it mentality but it's ridiculous. If its dangerous and concerning it sure does have something to do with them. Would you rather have a chat with someone, or reported to Traffic Watch?

If you were aware of their post history, you'd see it's not so much an original attitude but just the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wan$er bus driver.

That's criminal damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The irony is just brilliant with this post.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I rode around with my father as a child in London (before the time of H&S) and he would get me to be his extra eyes out the left window. Got my license as soon as I was old enough and drew stone from a local quarry for a few years. Minimal driving in Dublin or major cities, most of that experience was as a ride along.

Your lucky Dublin is a nightmare but motorist in limerick are by far the most ignorant around imo...
    8 legger or artic.
    You can never be careful enough, the chances that some people take will always amaze me, as lucky as that muppet was that won't stop him doing it again. Not only is he ruining his family's lives he's also ruining the driver and drivers family's if he was run over.
    We all want to make it home at the end of the day even I don't wanna see moron cyclist hurt... sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

That's criminal damage.
    And attempted murder.

We all want to make it home at the end of the day even I don't wanna see moron cyclist hurt... sometimes.
    When bicycles and vehicles are involved in a collision, the motorists will most always make it home. Cyclists not so much. People need to stop comparing bicycles and motorists in terms of equal modes of transport. They're not. Firstly, bicycles take up far less room on the road than motorists. And secondly, cyclists are vulnerable road users (even the morons). Motorists are not. Once people understand and accept these self evident truths, then just maybe cyclists will stop being killed, and put in danger of their lives, by motorists.

When bicycles and vehicles are involved in a collision, the motorists will most always make it home. Cyclists not so much. People need to stop comparing bicycles and motorists in terms of equal modes of transport. They're not. Firstly, bicycles take up far less room on the road than motorists. And secondly, cyclists are vulnerable road users (even the morons). Motorists are not. Once people understand and accept these self evident truths, then just maybe cyclists will stop being killed, and put in danger of their lives, by motorists.

Fair point but most as you can see from the video put themselves in a dangerous predicament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Fair point but most as you can see from the video put themselves in a dangerous predicament

Most cyclists in that video put themselves in a dangerous predicament (1 female cyclist seemed to realise what was happening and held back) but you can't say that most cyclists in general put themselves in dangerous predicaments.

Research shows that in the majority of motorist cyclist collisions in London the motorist is at fault, not the cyclist.

Link

And attempted murder.

Well no. Manslaughter at most. The cyclist should have made a complaint to the Guards, not taken the law into his own hands by breaking the law.

Well no. Manslaughter at most.
    Well no. It could well have been attempted murder. Manslaughter charges would most likely be brought against the motorist.
    The cyclist should have made a complaint to the Guards, not taken the law into his own hands by breaking the law.
    You'd be surprised how the shock of almost being killed can affect someone in such a situation where the other party is primarily at fault.

Well no. It could well have been attempted murder. Manslaughter charges would most likely be brought against the motorist.

You'd be surprised how the shock of almost being killed can affect someone in such a situation where the other party is primarily at fault.

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Still doesn't justify his behaviour. And I say that having done something very similar myself.

amcalester wrote: »
    Most cyclists in that video put themselves in a dangerous predicament (1 female cyclist seemed to realise what was happening and held back) but you can't say that most cyclists in general put themselves in dangerous predicaments.

They do and I honestly think they don't see the big picture... try and navigate 46 ton from the long mile road into ballsbridge and then tell me most don't put themselves in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So tell me again how the truck was ever going to be in the path of oncoming traffic?

vimlg2.png

Pretty stupid not to check your facts first!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement