Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need remote camera but have no wifi

Options
  • 13-07-2017 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. This is all new to me so my terminology could be completely wrong - apologies if so.

We have a second house in a remote area of Donegal. Unfortunately, there have been two instances recently of someone calling to the house and snooping about - internally and externally. The house was recently refurbished so there were multiple keys floating around. We are changing the locks this week so the internal problem is solved.

Advice required: I would like to hook up a camera system of some sort to potentially catch anyone in the future. The big issue is that we are not based there (generally in the house one weekend per month) so we need the footage to store to the cloud rather than locally, as if anyone gained entry, they could just remove a local hard-drive. There is no broadband available in the house. However - we do have excellent 4G connectivity as the local mast for 3Three is reasonably near.

So, my ask in a nutshell:
    • A wi-fi enabled camera that can upload footage to the cloud, via Sim card/4G connection
    • Preferably motion-activated, to save on data costs (don't want to upload 24/7 on a 4G connection)
    • Suitable for outdoor use
    • Preferably battery powered (but wired power is ok also)
    • A solution with multiple camera units would be good. One to cover entry at the gate, and one to cover entry at the door of the house
    • Budget is a few hundred euros as required.

Thanks for any help offered.

IZ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I would guess that would be simple.

Locate the hard drive in the attic somewhere. This can be connected to monitor elsewhere in the house and also to your mobile or pc in another location via mobile broadband and be able to keep an eye.

Systems can be set to only record when there is motion, so a decent hard drive will keep 60 days+ recordings. Assuming htere is an alarm on the propoerty, that too can be connected to send you a signal if anything untoward goes on and you can alert gardai if needed.

Contact a local security company - they are well used to it especially for farmers.

Even the sight of alarm and cameras would put most gougers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Thanks for the reply CeilingFly.

Something like this would be ideal but it doesn't have 4G connectivity that I can see: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Photo/Arlo-Smart-Home-Wire-Free-VMS3230-100EUS/B00TDNYNP8/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

If I were to go with a local harddrive, do you know of any solution that would be suitable or that you could recommend? I really need to be able to view the footage remotely as there can be weeks between our visits.

Advertisement