Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players to watch this (2017/2018) season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Luke Shaw at 4.9 could be amazing value if he becomes nailed.

Started 3 of the last 5 for United including the BOU game, getting a CS

Will be watching this Bristol City game with Shaw interest, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start a lot of the PL games over Christmas and into January. All going well, displace Young at LB

I dunno, I see him as their back up rotation option. I don't think Mourinho likes him, just has to play him to rest Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Luke Shaw at 4.9 could be amazing value if he becomes nailed.

Started 3 of the last 5 for United including the BOU game, getting a CS

Will be watching this Bristol City game with Shaw interest, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start a lot of the PL games over Christmas and into January. All going well, displace Young at LB

Also Valencia being injured could mean Young switching to RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Also Valencia being injured could mean Young switching to RB.

And Rojo must NEVER play LB again
    Ever
    But he will and was brought on ahead of Shaw there last weekend

km79 wrote: »
    And Rojo must NEVER play LB again
    Ever
    But he will and was brought on ahead of Shaw there last weekend

West Brom are a tall team and United were holding onto a lead are probably factors in Rojo coming on before Shaw.

West Brom are a tall team and United were holding onto a lead are probably factors in Rojo coming on before Shaw.

He was picked there ahead of him at times least year too
    As was blind. And darmian. And now young .
    That tells you everything you need to know about how mourinho rates Shaw

• Advertisement

He was picked there ahead of him at times least year too
    As was blind. And darmian. And now young .
    That tells you everything you need to know about how mourinho rates Shaw

Things can change... This is the players to watch thread after all.
    Funny you mention Blind & Darmian as that's exactly who he has been starting ahead of lately.

Things can change... This is the players to watch thread after all.
    Funny you mention Blind & Darmian as that's exactly who he has been starting ahead of lately.

He will be on my watch list when he moves in January

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Bolaise’s back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Brought Paul Dummett in at 4.2 to raise funds. Rafa seems to love him and they might tighten up now that Lascelles is also back.

Clean sheet today. Swans and Burnley next two home fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

The long awaited (by probably noone) return of Shineon's Southampton's defence analysis and cheapie defensive watchlist.

Southampton:
    With the team struggling for points and clean sheets the last few months and terrible fixtures there was no value in the defence. But fixtures are coming good and the deadwood offloaded for £75 million :P:P to the bank of Liverpool

With the bus parked yesterday at the best bus parkers in the league I'm hopeful of some clean sheets in the upcoming relegation battle.

Home games with Spurs and Liverpool are toughest fixtures until Gameweek 33.

Here's who's on my watchlist

Alex McCarthy (4.4)
    Forster looks to have finally lost his place after being less than convincing since the League Cup final last season. McCarthy is a solid keeper and was called up to the England squad in late 2016, has Premier if he plays as well as he did against Man Utd, I think it's his place to lose.
    He's not nailed on yet so he's going on my watchlist, Pellegrino's job is far from secure so that's more uncertainty to deal with.

Yoshida (4.8)
    Nailed on at CB and is a goal threat at set pieces. He's my pick of the defence.

Cedric (4.7)
    Will be nailed on at RB when fit, budget option but as always don't expect much in the line of goals or assists from him.

Others:
    Hoedt (5.0), Bertrand (5.3) when fit will likely be the other 2 starters in defence but I don't think there's value in them for where the club is at the moment, Bertrand has the most attacking threat but not worth the premium price for me.

Other clubs with players at 4.5 and under:
    I've had a quick look at some other clubs and their cheap defensive options.

West Ham: Adrian (4.3), Collins (4.3) and Masuaku (4.5).
    DGW and decent set of fixtures coming up. Collins dangerous on set pieces. Masuaku (4.5) is the most expensive on my watchlist, purely here because of DGW and offering OOP potential.

Burnley: Taylor (4.2) Long (4.0)
    Lowton was on bench for last 4 games where Taylor has started, so seems likely that Taylor will keep his place in coming weeks. Long (4.0) has been playing but unsure of his long term prospects. Burnley more than capable of keeping clean sheets against anyone and their fixtures really pick up after GW 26.

Stoke: Cameron (4.3) Wimmer (4.2) and Edwards (4.0)
    I've noticed Edwards (4.0) has played the last 3 games, not sure how long he'll keep his place but Stoke's fixtures are coming good. More secure long term starters are Cameron (4.3)and Wimmer (4.2).

Bournemouth: Francis (4.3)
    Decent fixtures. Francis is their captain, nailed on when fit and not suspended :pac:. He got sent off and suspended as soon as I bought him earlier in the season, still hurts.

Crystal Palace: Martin Kelly (4.2) Speroni (4.1)
    Palace are in good form, Kelly has played last 3 games, no idea how he'll fare long term for minutes. Speroni's place looks secure unless Palace sign a new keeper in January.

Newcaste: Dummett (4.2) Elliot (4.1)
    Dummett was mentioned recently in this thread by @extra gravy and I've been watching him since started last 2 games. Like Speroni, when Elliot is fit his place looks secure unless Newcastle sign a new keeper in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

shineon23 wrote: »
    The long awaited (by probably noone) return of Shineon's Southampton's defence analysis and cheapie defensive watchlist.

Southampton:
    With the team struggling for points and clean sheets the last few months and terrible fixtures there was no value in the defence. But fixtures are coming good and the deadwood offloaded for £75 million :P:P to the bank of Liverpool

With the bus parked yesterday at the best bus parkers in the league I'm hopeful of some clean sheets in the upcoming relegation battle.

Home games with Spurs and Liverpool are toughest fixtures until Gameweek 33.

Here's who's on my watchlist

Alex McCarthy (4.4)
    Forster looks to have finally lost his place after being less than convincing since the League Cup final last season. McCarthy is a solid keeper and was called up to the England squad in late 2016, has Premier if he plays as well as he did against Man Utd, I think it's his place to lose.
    He's not nailed on yet so he's going on my watchlist, Pellegrino's job is far from secure so that's more uncertainty to deal with.

Yoshida (4.8)
    Nailed on at CB and is a goal threat at set pieces. He's my pick of the defence.

Cedric (4.7)
    Will be nailed on at RB when fit, budget option but as always don't expect much in the line of goals or assists from him.

Others:
    Hoedt (5.0), Bertrand (5.3) when fit will likely be the other 2 starters in defence but I don't think there's value in them for where the club is at the moment, Bertrand has the most attacking threat but not worth the premium price for me.

Other clubs with players at 4.5 and under:
    I've had a quick look at some other clubs and their cheap defensive options.

West Ham: Adrian (4.3), Collins (4.3) and Masuaku (4.5).
    DGW and decent set of fixtures coming up. Collins dangerous on set pieces. Masuaku (4.5) is the most expensive on my watchlist, purely here because of DGW and offering OOP potential.

Burnley: Taylor (4.2) Long (4.0)
    Lowton was on bench for last 4 games where Taylor has started, so seems likely that Taylor will keep his place in coming weeks. Long (4.0) has been playing but unsure of his long term prospects. Burnley more than capable of keeping clean sheets against anyone and their fixtures really pick up after GW 26.

Stoke: Cameron (4.3) Wimmer (4.2) and Edwards (4.0)
    I've noticed Edwards (4.0) has played the last 3 games, not sure how long he'll keep his place but Stoke's fixtures are coming good. More secure long term starters are Cameron (4.3)and Wimmer (4.2).

Bournemouth: Francis (4.3)
    Decent fixtures. Francis is their captain, nailed on when fit and not suspended :pac:. He got sent off and suspended as soon as I bought him earlier in the season, still hurts.

Palace are in good form, Kelly has played last 3 games, no idea how he'll fare long term for minutes. Speroni's place looks secure unless Palace sign a new keeper in January.

Newcaste: Dummett (4.2) Elliot (4.1)
    Dummett was mentioned recently in this thread by @extra gravy and I've been watching him since started last 2 games. Like Speroni, when Elliot is fit his place looks secure unless Newcastle sign a new keeper in January.

Any reason Ogbonna (4.4) isn't listed for West Ham?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Any reason Ogbonna (4.4) isn't listed for West Ham?

Too rich for my blood at 4.4.;)

Cheaper/better options imo in West Ham's defence at 4.3 and Masuaku OOP potential at 4.5 makes him a better option to me.

And It's only a rough list of the cheap players on my watchlist. I'd say there's plenty more cheapies at other clubs I haven't considered either.

Both on the bench against Man City today, nevermind :rolleyes: :confused:

I still fancy Speroni to get regular minutes in coming weeks.

Both on the bench against Man City today, nevermind :rolleyes: :confused:

I still fancy Speroni to get regular minutes in coming weeks.

He was at fault for 2 goals midweek

Kelly on now
    Dann picked up serious knee injury

He was at fault for 2 goals midweek

I may be slightly biased due to my urratuonal dislike of Hennessy in FPL.

Kelly on for injured Dann now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Is bardsley first choice for Burnley now or is he just holding a place until others regain fitness? Would be a very affordable way into the burnley defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MR NINE wrote: »
    Is bardsley first choice for Burnley now or is he just holding a place until others regain fitness? Would be a very affordable way into the burnley defence.

Keeping Ward’s place warm

callaway92 wrote: »
    Keeping Ward’s place warm

Ward plays left back . Bardsley plays right back. Charlie Taylor is playing instead of Ward.

He seems to have won the place from Matt Lowton at right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ward plays left back . Bardsley plays right back. Charlie Taylor is playing instead of Ward.

He seems to have won the place from Matt Lowton at right back.

Ye thats correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Yannick Bolasie £6.4m is back tonight in the FA Cup game.

Looks lively and is ALWAYS fun to own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Yannick Bolasie £6.4m is back tonight in the FA Cup game.

Looks lively and is ALWAYS fun to own.

Agreed and on my watch list especially with a decent striker signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Silva is on my radar. If Aguero doesn't start every upcoming league game, I can see Pep deploying Silva as a false nine. Obviously a bit risky with Silva's personal issues but I'm tempted say from gw24 (3x home fixtures gw24-27).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Theo Walcott ( at 7.1) should he join Everton.

Sako 4.9 midfielder playing up top at times
    Townsend will be out for a while
    His fixtures turn nasty in 4 weeks though

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭King Cantona

Stephen Ireland at 4.5 playing up front (off striker) for Stoke is a great midfield / differential prospect - probably have to wait a week or two to see if Lambert fancies him however. Main concern would have been his fitness to start - that was no issue last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Stephen Ireland at 4.5 playing up front (off striker) for Stoke is a great midfield / differential prospect - probably have to wait a week or two to see if Lambert fancies him however. Main concern would have been his fitness to start - that was no issue last night.
    Had to have a look for a laugh - 2009 he finished the season costing £8.3m, despite scoring 2 and assisting 2.

2008 was the glory days - 10 goals and 9 assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭King Cantona

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Had to have a look for a laugh - 2009 he finished the season costing £8.3m, despite scoring 2 and assisting 2.

2008 was the glory days - 10 goals and 9 assists.

He could have very easily equaled his 2009 goals tally against man united on Monday. Took up really good positions between united's defense and midfield and spurned two clear goal opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

He might miss the next Gameweek or two though, I hear his granny is unwell :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

danganabu wrote: »
    He might miss the next Gameweek or two though, I hear his granny is unwell :(

Reallly should get rid of that granny rule.

Advertisement