Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cell phone signal in Dundalk

Options
  • 13-07-2017 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I wonder could someone in Dundalk help me out with the following question.
    I live in Galway City, a visiting friend says (for a certain reason) he has to use his
    mobile phone from within the UK, to re-activate his plan. He was planning to go to Newry
    to do this, but I just thought, maybe in Dundalk one can receive UK mobile phone
    coverage. Is this the case? If so, which operators' signals show up?
    Many thanks in advance, I hope the question is clear enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Eh no. Vodafone UK will pop up when he's in the north. Some rural areas close to the border can have signals from either side but not generally. It's only 15 minutes up the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I've gone "roaming" in Clogherhead at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I live on the border with Armagh & Down and roaming never kicks in this side of the NI border.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I live on the border with Armagh & Down and roaming never kicks in this side of the NI border.

And I've never experienced it anywhere but Clogherhead but when cycling through there I've always come away with the roaming texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I live 2 minutes from the border and have never gotten UK reception. Even going to Newry my phone only switches over when I almost get to the Quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Annagassan is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I live on the border myself.

At times you'd almost reckon the UK networks are watching you because their signal disappears as soon as you cross the border whereas the Southern signal is still fairly strong 4-5 miles into the North:confused::P

The Border around Monaghan though is crazy for roaming.You could be in Emyvale and have a choice of networks for IRL & UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

OP I've had a search there and I'm not seeing any UK signals coming through but I'm on the wrong side (furthest) so I cant rule out all of Dundalk but I'd say you would need to go a bit further North to pick-up a usable signal. To be honest then you are nearly in Newry as pointed out above its only a few minutes on the motorway between the two.

As the others have mentioned above you wont naturally roam to a UK network until well inside the North but a manual connection can be made on the southern side if you need to for some reason. I used to switch over to connect back to VF Ireland from the quays in Newry when I needed to.

Advertisement