Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketmaster now allowing you to pick seats

Options
  • 13-07-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

And they are actually telling you that a gig is sold out without having to go through the rigmarole of trying all the variations and security nonsense.

Wonder what took this billion dollar corporation so long, when on tickets.ie for as long as I can remember they could manage to tell you if tickets were still on sale.

I am able to pick seats in 3arena or olympia gigs.

(previously you could pick for the odd thing, like some gaiety things and I think seats for some matches)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fantastic stuff. Was driven demented trying to get decent tickets to Queen there awhile ago.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I checked a couple gigs and can't see this? What concert I particular where you able to pick seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lc180 wrote: »
    I checked a couple gigs and can't see this? What concert I particular where you able to pick seats?
    U2 was the first, it clicked into what looked like the regualar screen and then automatically updated to the new format.

the original link is

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/u2-the-joshua-tree-tour-dublin-07-22-2017/event/18005226BB024DDB?artistid=736365&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

if I click on that it updates to a www1. URL

http://www1.ticketmaster.ie/u2-the-joshua-tree-tour-dublin-07-22-2017/event/18005226BB024DDB?artistid=736365&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1&f_tmol_checkout=true&ab=m_efeat5044v1

here are some random ones, 3arena

http://www1.ticketmaster.ie/event/18005186B175620C?brand=&tm_link=tm_homeA_g9&hot_ticket_brand=&f_tmol_checkout=true&ab=m_efeat5044v1

olympia
    http://www1.ticketmaster.ie/once-dublin-07-14-2017/event/18005193B6B2C249?artistid=1978797&majorcatid=10002&minorcatid=207&f_tmol_checkout=true&ab=m_efeat5044v1

on that one it shows which seats are left visually, like the concert hall does.

I am using chrome, might not work in other browsers or on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Finally they changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah website seems to have updated today. Can't pick your exact seat for some shows but it's an improvement.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I am using chrome, might not work in other browsers or on mobile.
    I tried this in internet explorer and it did not automatically change to the new system. However if you manually stuck a 1 after the www it did go to the new format.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Ticketmaster offers exact seat selection and displays gigs as sold out before searching for 15+ years in other countries (e.g. Germany).
    Not sure why they never did it here before. Glad to see this is finally happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Thunder77

It's not Ticketmaster's decision to allow the interactive seat map, it's the promoter of the shows call if he wants people to be able to pick there own seats, if they say yes then TM will put it on, if they say no then it works off a best seats available option

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Thunder77

It's not Ticketmaster's decision to allow the interactive seat map, it's the promoter of the shows call if he wants people to be able to pick there own seats, if they say yes then TM will put it on, if they say no then it works off a best seats available option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

And they are actually telling you that a gig is sold out without having to go through the rigmarole of trying all the variations and security nonsense.

Wonder what took this billion dollar corporation so long, when on tickets.ie for as long as I can remember they could manage to tell you if tickets were still on sale.

I am able to pick seats in 3arena or olympia gigs.

(previously you could pick for the odd thing, like some gaiety things and I think seats for some matches)

The select your own tickets option had been available for theatre and sporting events on ticketmaster.ie, but for some reason, the option had not been available for music events.

I noticed in recent times, that the option of selecting each block of tiered seated blocks in the 3 Arena, had not been available, but some years ago, it had been available.

But I guess the issue of stating that a gig is sold out, might still be an issue, because there might still be a case of more tickets being released, closer to the date of any event.

I think for most gigs, tickets are held back by the promoter, for guest lists, or perhaps for companies that sponsor the venues in which the gigs are held, and if these tickets end up not being used, they can put them on sale, in the days before any event?

If you haven't managed to get a ticket, for a gig that is in demand, it is always worth checking the ticketmaster site regularly, in the weeks and days before any gig.

• Advertisement

Thunder77 wrote: »
    The only ones I heard of it for were the likes of the gaiety & matches. Are you saying this is not new to the Irish site for the likes of 3arena & the olympia? There is no way every promoter from day 1 has said they do not want people picking their seats in the olympia -and suddenly loads are requesting it now. Unless you accept it is new and are just saying promotors have the option from now on.
    But I guess the issue of stating that a gig is sold out, might still be an issue, because there might still be a case of more tickets being released, closer to the date of any event.
    I am usually more careful with my wording these days! I should have said

-they are actually telling you that tickets for a gig are currently not on sale without having to go through the rigmarole of trying all the variations and security nonsense.

I have been looking for U2 tickets, and there is no simple "best available" option. You had "obstructed view", "full price tickets" "side view tickets, so you had to go check all 3 of these only to find none are currently on sale. Also after trying 1 I found I had more security checks on the second, and sometimes even more checks on the 3rd attempt. Coldplay also had 3 or 4 different ones to check.

The promotors often pronounce that gigs are sold out and later sell tickets, so its not that big a deal to even claim it. My point is TM always knew instantly if tickets were currently available for sale, so why the needless waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The only ones I heard of it for were the likes of the gaiety & matches. Are you saying this is not new to the Irish site for the likes of 3arena & the olympia? There is no way every promoter from day 1 has said they do not want people picking their seats in the olympia -and suddenly loads are requesting it now. Unless you accept it is new and are just saying promotors have the option from now on.

I am usually more careful with my wording these days! I should have said

-they are actually telling you that tickets for a gig are currently not on sale without having to go through the rigmarole of trying all the variations and security nonsense.

I have been looking for U2 tickets, and there is no simple "best available" option. You had "obstructed view", "full price tickets" "side view tickets, so you had to go check all 3 of these only to find none are currently on sale. Also after trying 1 I found I had more security checks on the second, and sometimes even more checks on the 3rd attempt. Coldplay also had 3 or 4 different ones to check.

The promotors often pronounce that gigs are sold out and later sell tickets, so its not that big a deal to even claim it. My point is TM always knew instantly if tickets were currently available for sale, so why the needless waiting.

I noticed in recent years, that when there was a theatre event or ballet type event in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre that there was an interactive seat plan option, but for music events, that option was not available. For music events the only selection option was the best available, stalls, circle, upper circle, which did not allow you select a specific seat, which meant that if you were looking for one, or two tickets, it might select two tickets at the edge of row B, if they were available, but it would not let you know that there might be 6 seats available together in in middle of Row F or G, which are better seats, than at the edge of a row, too near to the stage.

When War Horse was on at the Bord Gais Energy Theatre, a few years ago, the option of an interactive map was available, but at the same time for music events in the Bord Gais Energy Theatre, that option was not available.

Yes, on ticketmaster, for gigs in the 3 Arena, or the O2 as it was at the time, you used to be able, when searching for seated tickets, to select each individual block in the drop down menu.

A few years ago, that option was no longer available.

It was replaced with two options. If it was a fully seated show, the options were; flat seating or tiered seating.

If you were looking for one or two tickets, if it selected seats in blocks G, F or A, you wouldn't know if there might be four or five seats available together in Block D, the central block, which would have a better view, than the other blocks at the sides of the fully seated layout.

Advertisement