Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance claim, how do I go about it ?

• 13-07-2017 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

What is the protocol for making a home insurance claim? I've been told I should contact a loss assessor myself and make the claim that way before I contact the insurance company? Is that right? I thought the insurance company would provide the assessor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

contact the insurance company first, they'll guide you from there

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Dont contact your insurance company at all .
    Phone an assessor and he will do everything . it will cost you nothing until it is sorted .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

contact the insurance company first
    2forjoy wrote: »
    Dont contact your insurance company at all .

Follow the instructions in the policy document?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

why would you not contact your insurer? Its madness , find me a policy wording that advises to go directly to an assessor without notifying the insurance company and I'll note never to insure with them.

If emergency repairs are required then fair enough get that sorted as priority and then get in touch, but apart from that your first call is the insurance company you are paying for such events happending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

The insurance company will appoint a Loss Adjuster. The Adjuster is paid by insurers and obviously have the insurance companies interests at heart. You can appoint your own Loss Assessor who work for you to get your maximum entitlement under the policy.

If the claim is likely to be under €4,000.00 or so your insurer mightn't even send out an Adjuster and will settle the claim by you providing photos and estimates by post or email.

What is the claim for? If it is simple and straightforward you would probably be able to deal with the Adjuster yourself and get estimates. If more complex then I would recommend you appoint your own Assessor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If emergency repairs are required then fair enough get that sorted as priority and then get in touch....

Your insurance company will help you organise emergency repairs, I'd never consider that as an excuse to delay getting in touch with them.

It's in their interests to get leaks, broken windows etc. fixed ASAP to prevent further deterioration in the condition of the property. They will provide immediate assistance and usually have 24 x 7 helplines available for that very reason.

Advertisement