Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT: Insurance cancelled

Options
  • 13-07-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi guys, i've been with my insurance for only 6 months through an agent, i got a letter yesterday from my insurance saying my insurance policy has been set up by an agent who is not authorised and my car insurance statement of fact was not supplied by me or by the unauthorized agent. They said in view of the above they are voiding my policy with immediate effect. I've called them and they said the agent has been arrested and i don't have problem but they can't insure my car again. A friend told me to get a new insurer but my fear will other insures decline me if they know about this? I sincerely don't know that this agent is not authorized as i was introduced to the agent by a friend. Any advice to get new insurance and what to tell them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring a broker and ask them to help you get insurance. It's the fastest and best way to sort your urgent issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

biko wrote: »
    Ring a broker and ask them to help you get insurance. It's the fastest and best way to sort your urgent issue.

Just rang AA now, got quote for 5,081,12:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

20784 wrote: »
    Just rang AA now, got quote for 5,081,12:eek:

Whats your age and experience? What car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

20784 wrote: »
    Hi guys, i've been with my insurance for only 6 months through an agent, i got a letter yesterday from my insurance saying my insurance policy has been set up by an agent who is not authorised and my car insurance statement of fact was not supplied by me or by the unauthorized agent. They said in view of the above they are voiding my policy with immediate effect. I've called them and they said the agent has been arrested and i don't have problem but they can't insure my car again. A friend told me to get a new insurer but my fear will other insures decline me if they know about this? I sincerely don't know that this agent is not authorized as i was introduced to the agent by a friend. Any advice to get new insurance and what to tell them? Thanks

I'm curious as to your circumstances and how you managed to get duped by a ghost broker.

I've seen alot of ghost broking but it's mainly for non nationals that don't speak English and are new to the country.

I'm assuming that you are Irish?

Did you receive quote documents in the post or did you sign a proposal form, send your letter of no claims discount off etc?

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I'm curious as to your circumstances and how you managed to get duped by a ghost broker.

I've seen alot of ghost broking but it's mainly for non nationals that don't speak English and are new to the country.

I'm assuming that you are Irish?

Did you receive quote documents in the post or did you sign a proposal form, send your letter of no claims discount off etc?

I speak fluent English, though not Irish yet.

Yes i received quote papers and all paper work from allianz and i rang them to confirm.According to alianz the agent is not authorized so they said they will return all my money by cheque. Did not know he's not authorised. My fear is will get turned down by other insuers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,790 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So are Allianz giving you the cheque or the agent you bought it from?
    Did you make initial payment to Allianz or the agent?
    Did the agent supply you with official Allianz documentation to confirm your cover like the insurance disc/cert of insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Voiding the insurance means it never existed. It actually makes sense - the agent was never supposed to insure you. They probably loose the license to do so, but failed to notify Allianz about the fact.

To answer your question - your insurance WASN'T cancelled. It simply never existed. You cannot cancel something that never existed... Thus you don't need to notify anyone about that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_contract I would however use direct call to a consultant to make a new contract, not just online system.

You were simply driving uninsured over the last 6 months - you got very lucky you did not have a claim.

Did the agent supply you with official Allianz documentation to confirm your cover like the insurance disc/cert of insurance
    THE AGENT TOLD ME I WILL RECEIVE MY COVER DOCUMENTS DIRECTLY FROM ALLIANZ, WHICH I DID AND I CONFIRMED THE AUTHENTICITY FROM ALLIANZ.

So are Allianz giving you the cheque or the agent you bought it from?
    YESTERDAY I RECEIVED CHEQUE FROM ALLIANZ, NOT THE AGENT.

Did you make initial payment to Allianz or the agent?
    YES I MADE INITIAL 600 TO THE AGENT, EXCLUDING MONTHLY PAYMENT DIRECT DEBIT TO ALLIANZ. ALLIANZ SAID THEY CAN'T REFUND MY INITIAL PAYMENT I MADE TO THE UNAUTHORIZED AGENT AS I PAID HIM MYSELF NOT THEM.

grogi wrote: »
    Voiding the insurance means it never existed. It actually makes sense - the agent was never supposed to insure you. They probably loose the license to do so, but failed to notify Allianz about the fact.

To answer your question - your insurance WASN'T cancelled. It simply never existed. You cannot cancel something that never existed... Thus you don't need to notify anyone about that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Void_contract I would however use direct call to a consultant to make a new contract, not just online system.

You were simply driving uninsured over the last 6 months - you got very lucky you did not have a claim.

I have never used online system since the incident. I have been calling other insurers and i told him it was canceled. Never knew that i shouldn't have mentioned canceled. I got a quote from AA and they said they will insure me but the quote is extremely high 5000 and they kind to tell me to find a full licence to add to get the quote reduced. Can only afford 2000 initial payment but they want 3500 initial payment as i am on provisional irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Driving on a learner permit is very expensive. Are you the registered owner of the car you are driving?

• Advertisement

Driving on a learner permit is very expensive. Are you the registered owner of the car you are driving?

Yes

Advertisement