Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with roots of a tree stump

Options
  • 13-07-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I just cut down a tree and removed the stump. It was very difficult because it was in a corner with two walls close by which meant my movement was very restricted. I couldn't fully swing the axe or use my shovel freely due to lack of space. Nevertheless after a lot of hard physical work it is out now.

I managed to chop off the roots from the stump but they are still going into the ground deep down. I want now to cover the hole again and plant something else.

What will happen those roots now? Will they continue to grow? I had thought of wrapping tough masking tape to the exposed ends to stop further growth? If I leave the roots under there would that be a problem in due course for the new planting I intend to put down?

Due to lack of space I simply can't get any deeper as I am in a tight corner and I think they are going under my neighbour's wall although they are getting smaller and narrower the deeper they go down.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of tree was it? deciduous or evergreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

what sort of tree was it? deciduous or evergreen?

Goldcrest. Evergreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You should be safe enough, evergreens don't tend to sprout from roots, in fact they don't sprout from anything once they are cut back.

Advertisement