Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying GPU at the moment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Card prices and stock are messed up at the moment because of crypto currency miners.

You would be better off looking for a second hand gtx 970 on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are your current system specs including card? I would not spend that kind of money on a GTX1050Ti personally, €150 maybe for some of the cheaper ones but €220+ not a chance.

Also avoid anything with that god awful 'dual' cooler from Asus, they are the worst coolers I've ever experienced in my life and sound like a vaccum under load.

2nd hand is a good bet, eg R9 390 8GB here for €190 shipped with 2 year warranty - on a similar level as the GTX1060/RX580 performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

I5 3.4Hz (off the top of my head cannot remember version)
    16GB DDR3
    250SSD+storage drives
    Asus Maximus Gene V ( i think)

Current GPU GTX570 , it is well passed its performance best but I had not been playing anything newer than BF4 until recently and it was fine for the amount of game time I was getting , Own BF1 have played about 2hours and some other new titles . Don't care much for hitting ultra settings , would be happy for some time at High settings and smoother FPS. 1060 seemed to tick most of the boxes from budget to performance limit of my system (eg think 1070 would just be held back with my CPU at the moment).

Also aware of the Mining Craze and the damage it causing to my calm .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm strongly thinking of moving on my 1060 at the mo, to move to a 1080 or Ti, not to hijack the thread or anything, but I was wondering as to the rough price I should be listing it at. It's this model here, & has extremely low usage (<30 hours), still have the box & original packing etc - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IPFMVCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

looking at adverts , you can nearly ask for your original price . Ha

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/desktop-hardware/graphics-cards/499/q_GTX1060/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

What are your current system specs including card? I would not spend that kind of money on a GTX1050Ti personally, €150 maybe for some of the cheaper ones but €220+ not a chance.

Also avoid anything with that god awful 'dual' cooler from Asus, they are the worst coolers I've ever experienced in my life and sound like a vaccum under load.

2nd hand is a good bet, eg R9 390 8GB here for €190 shipped with 2 year warranty - on a similar level as the GTX1060/RX580 performance wise.

I've an Asus Dual fan GTX 1070 and it definitely doesn't sound like a vacuum or anything close to one under load. My PS4 makes probably double the noise than that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just got the boy a 7700K and MOBO/RAm and cant find a GPU for him :confused:

Stupid miners :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Just got the boy a 7700K and MOBO/RAm and cant find a GPU for him :confused:

Stupid miners :mad:

I'll sell you a thirdhand 5 year old GPU for €150! Bargain!

Edit: Jesus just had a look through adverts there, looks like secondhand prices for everything has gone up, and there isnt much listed. I'm guessing very few people upgrading at the moment and just hanging on to what they have due to price of new GPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

The Zotac GeForce GTX 1050Ti is back in stock at £131.50 (about €150-ish). Just bought it to tide me over until the better cards return to normal price/stock levels. When that time comes, I'll just sell the 1050Ti and upgrade to something better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M8M5T4T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Better buy one quick if you want to get it, I'd say it'll sell out soon.

Edit: Scratch that, it's already out of stock. Hopefully I still get mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I will mirror TerrorFirmer and say get a R9 390 as they are a great card and easy got. As he said roughly same performance as a GTX 1060 and Rx 480. The only reason minors are not using them is they would not be a power efficient as a Rx480. As when mining you want do not want any profits you are making cut by electricity bill.

• Advertisement

I don't like the idea of buying twice , the resale value of the "get me by card " would be complete gone when the mining craze has leveled off ,
    And I would probably just get lazy and stick with the "get me by card ".

I will look at second had as TerrorFirmer has suggested , but I really would prefer new
    its rare I buy new . usually I do Scrap heap challenge and fix peoples broke parts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Looking at prices there,the gtx 1060 i bought nearly 2 months has risen by nearly 70 euro,that's nuts.I never realized the card shortage was this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I doubt many people are using 1050s for mining but I'd say plenty are buying them to "tide them over" ...

Makes me think that the market will be flooded with good quality second hand 1050s in a few months time. There might be some great value for those looking to upgrade lower spec or older machines!

scan.co.uk seem to be the only ones with actually stock of anything above a 1050 ,

Palit GPU , no idea on the manufacturer , have to look into that now , some GigaByte and some MSI as well the rest are all Pre Order (3GB versions). but I am still waiting on my money to be returned from my last cancelled order ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Have the 1080s increased much?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Joeface wrote: »
    scan.co.uk seem to be the only ones with actually stock of anything above a 1050 ,

Palit GPU , no idea on the manufacturer , have to look into that now , some GigaByte and some MSI as well the rest are all Pre Order (3GB versions). but I am still waiting on my money to be returned from my last cancelled order ...........
    Palit have great 2.5 slot coolers, only their returns policy lets them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭NLC1072

The cards that have been affected by the cryptocurrency boom tend to be the latest AMD cards, and of NVidia the GTX 1060 (TI) and GTX 1070 (TI). If you're buying a GPU now it is best to either go buy a 1050 ranged NVidia or a 1080 as the 1070s are actually more expensive than 1080's at the moment a lot of the time due to the 1070's better RAM compatibility with mining. I've just scored a GTX 1080 TI 11GB for €500 - some GTX 1070's on Amazon are more expensive than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

NLC1072 wrote: »
    The cards that have been affected by the cryptocurrency boom tend to be the latest AMD cards, and of NVidia the GTX 1060 (TI) and GTX 1070 (TI). If you're buying a GPU now it is best to either go buy a 1050 ranged NVidia or a 1080 as the 1070s are actually more expensive than 1080's at the moment a lot of the time due to the 1070's better RAM compatibility with mining. I've just scored a GTX 1080 TI 11GB for €500 - some GTX 1070's on Amazon are more expensive than that.

Where did you manage to get the 1080 Ti for €500?

Was it second hand?

Doge wrote: »
    Where did you manage to get the 1080 Ti for €500?

Was it second hand?

It was a new GPU but it had an open box (ripped from top left corner to middle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

NLC1072 wrote: »
    It was a new GPU but it had an open box (ripped from top left corner to middle)

Nice score. Im torn at the moment trying to decide between an EVGA GTX 1080 for €580 or waiting for a better deal.

Paid 770 for a 1080 within a week it was 200 less.

Doge wrote: »
    Nice score. Im torn at the moment trying to decide between an EVGA GTX 1080 for €580 or waiting for a better deal.

I've seen some on Amazon.de for less around €540 some Gigabyte G1's at one point.

Best site I've found so far is Amazon.de for pc components.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Have the 1080s increased much?

1080's aren't increasing as they are no good for mining.
    They aren't as power efficient as the 1060's and 1070's so they are staying level
    Thats why people (including me) are trying to take advantage of the raised prices of the 1070's to get a very cheap upgrade to a 1080
    :)

Don't forget @joeface...get a 6GB 1060...stay away from the 3GB versions

With a major major assist I got my upgrade. MSI GTX 980 .

Huge jump in performance for me ..cheaper than a 1060 would have been.I have seen ultra and it's awesome. Let's hope it lasts

So up yours miners.

Advertisement