Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a landlord regarding rent pressure zones

Options
  • 13-07-2017 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am a landlord, letting one property, which is located in a rent pressure zone. It has been let to the same person for 5 years. I have been really pleased with him as a tenant, in that he has kept the place well and we have always gotten on very well when issues arose - such as fixing leaks, and replacing appliances, etc.
    I gave him a really good deal on the rent when he moved in 5 years ago (850 per month). I completed the PRTB registration appropriately at that time. I left the rent at the same level for 3 years, and then increased it very slightly 2 years ago (to 920 per month) which he was more than happy with as he is still getting a really good deal). I neglected to inform the PRTB or re-register the tenancy at that time. I have had no contact with the PRTB since he moved in 5 years ago. I think that I should have registered the tenancy again and realise that I made a mistake.
    The situation I face now is that my financial situation will change suddenly in the coming year. Thus, I need to increase the rent a little. I expect the tenant will be very agreeable (as it still represents a really good deal).
    My understanding is that I can do so by 4% this year and 4% next year.
    My question is this......given that I never informed the PRTB of the rent increase that took place 2 years ago, presumably on their records the last documented rent for the property is the original rent when the tenancy was first registered (i.e. 850). Thus, can I increase the rent to 920+4% or do I have to make it 850+4%.

I am not in any way trying to rip anyone off. I have always been really fair to the tenant and he would be the first to say so. My need to increase the rent now is as a result of a real genuine change in life circumstances. I want to do the right thing by the PRTB also.

I would really appreciate any advice as the rules and regulations are confusing.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

KierKenn wrote: »
    I am a landlord, letting one property, which is located in a rent pressure zone. It has been let to the same person for 5 years. I have been really pleased with him as a tenant, in that he has kept the place well and we have always gotten on very well when issues arose - such as fixing leaks, and replacing appliances, etc.
    I gave him a really good deal on the rent when he moved in 5 years ago (850 per month). I completed the PRTB registration appropriately at that time. I left the rent at the same level for 3 years, and then increased it very slightly 2 years ago (to 920 per month) which he was more than happy with as he is still getting a really good deal). I neglected to inform the PRTB or re-register the tenancy at that time. I have had no contact with the PRTB since he moved in 5 years ago. I think that I should have registered the tenancy again and realise that I made a mistake.
    The situation I face now is that my financial situation will change suddenly in the coming year. Thus, I need to increase the rent a little. I expect the tenant will be very agreeable (as it still represents a really good deal).
    My understanding is that I can do so by 4% this year and 4% next year.
    My question is this......given that I never informed the PRTB of the rent increase that took place 2 years ago, presumably on their records the last documented rent for the property is the original rent when the tenancy was first registered (i.e. 850). Thus, can I increase the rent to 920+4% or do I have to make it 850+4%.

I am not in any way trying to rip anyone off. I have always been really fair to the tenant and he would be the first to say so. My need to increase the rent now is as a result of a real genuine change in life circumstances. I want to do the right thing by the PRTB also.

I would really appreciate any advice as the rules and regulations are confusing.

Thank you

First of all register the Part IV tenancy that commenced last year i.e. After previous 4 year tenancy ended. By law you have to reregister every 4 years not when rent increases but obviously you'll put in the 920 when you reregister. The 920 +4% will be a simple update to the tenancy once you've reregistered it.

I hope the above is clear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd also recommend you check the formula for rent increases.

I suspect you may be able to increase by more than 4% as it been more than 2 years since the last increase:

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/rent-pressure-zones

Advertisement