Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passed over for promotion by someone not eligible

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

"at least 3 years post qualification experience" as a requirement which he doesn't have.
    I on the other hand have 9 years post qualification experience.
    Also he's not better at the job than me. Nor is he worse

So, he is in the job less than 3 years and you are there 9 years and is as good as you?

Management made the right choice in promoting him imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Funny how?

Your sense of entitlement amazes me OP. A company owes you nothing and will put forward the best person they think will handle the job. Most people are easily replaced on comapanise and all they care about is the profit there making of you.

I used to work in a I.T company in a team of 12 and one lad who was probably the slowest at his work and less technical than others and avoided the most difficult work got promoted as another teams manager for an extra 20k a year.

Why he got promoted was
    Was an excellent speaker and could talk for Ireland
    Excellent at document writing
    Looked like he would represent the company well and was well dressed.
    Excellent at project management.

If a guy is there 3 years and doing the same work as you when your there 9 years then there's something wrong there.

I would hate management positions as wouldn't suit my personality so just have to keep up skilling to get more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Funny how? wrote: »
    Your sense of entitlement amazes me OP.

I think her sense of entitlement is more than justified. Nine years experience versus less than three? And seeing as she was placed second on that panel it does mean she was good enough to get the job.

OP, don't listen to nonsense like this. You know something went wrong here, you know you're qualified, so don't let the sentiments like this dissuade you from voicing concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think her sense of entitlement is more than justified. Nine years experience versus less than three? And seeing as she was placed second on that panel it does mean she was good enough to get the job.

OP, don't listen to nonsense like this. You know something went wrong here, you know you're qualified, so don't let the sentiments like this dissuade you from voicing concerns.

Maybe she is not as good as the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Massive difference between public and private sector mindsets here. Major alarm bells with a candidate who has been in the same role for nine years.

Public sector people seem to think promotions should happen via a queue system instead of promoting the most capable. No wonder it performs so poorly.

• Advertisement

bmwguy wrote: »
    Maybe she is not as good as the other person.

I disagree with this entirely. I let people on this forum tell me I wasn't good enough when I didn't get a job in an open PS competition - that the outcome of a 45-minute interview was far more indicative of my capabilities than the years of excellent work based feedback I had received. I knew in my head and in my heart that they were wrong and I was offered the next two jobs I interviewed for. All I am saying to the OP is not to listen to mean comments about entitlement because they aren't helpful at all.

Massive difference between public and private sector mindsets here. Major alarm bells with a candidate who has been in the same role for nine years.

Public sector people seem to think promotions should happen via a queue system instead of promoting the most capable. No wonder it performs so poorly.

You know there has been a public sector recruitment freeze for most of that nine years? That would most likely explain it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I disagree with this entirely.

She admitted he is as good as she is, he's there less than 3 years to her 9.

She has found her level if someone with a third of her experience is as good as she is.

F1ngers wrote: »
    She admitted he is as good as she is, he's there less than 3 years to her 9.

She has found her level if someone with a third of her experience is as good as she is.

But how would she know really? All she really knows is that he didn't meet the criteria set in the job description so he shouldn't have even been interviewed. I think she is more than right to be annoyed but whether it would do her any good complaining is another thing, probably not.

You know there has been a public sector recruitment freeze for most of that nine years? That would most likely explain it.

It wouldn't explain it, do you think nobody has left the public service in nine years? And if you were stuck in the same role for nine years why wouldn't you move to the private sector anyway?

I was consulting (e.g. going on site to do the actual work the permanent staff there are already paid to do) in a University two weeks ago and overheard a conversation of exactly this nature, a chap who was convinced it was his turn to be promoted purely based on the length of service. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't explain it, do you think nobody has left the public service in nine years? And if you were stuck in the same role for nine years why wouldn't you move to the private sector anyway?

As a woman that would like to have children soon, I wouldn't leave the public sector as many private sector companies just don't support working mothers. I suspect that may have a lot to do with why the OP hasn't changed jobs.

As a woman that would like to have children soon, I wouldn't leave the public sector as many private sector companies just don't support working women. I suspect that may have a lot to do with why the OP hasn't changed jobs.

Thats fine and thats your choice. Its hardly surprising when people who prioritise career get promoted first though, thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's not the basis of this complaint at all. The basis of the complaint is that the other guy did not have experience that was set out as required in the job spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Of course, there is the option that although you had the experience you just didn't do well in the interview process where this other candidate possibly excelled. I've seen instances where this was the case and so some criteria were dropped to widen the eligibility and so allow someone who interviewed well be selected..

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

"Of course, there is the option that although you had the experience you just didn't do well in the interview process where this other candidate possibly excelled. I've seen instances where this was the case and so some criteria were dropped to widen the eligibility and so allow someone who interviewed well be selected.."

But this would be in breach of the code of conduct for the public sector as i have already posted

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

mloc123 wrote:
    This is your opinion... it may not be others?

Please stop taking what this lady said out of context by highlighting only certain bits of her posts. You ignored the immediate for words "nor is he worse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

bisset wrote: »
    "Of course, there is the option that although you had the experience you just didn't do well in the interview process where this other candidate possibly excelled. I've seen instances where this was the case and so some criteria were dropped to widen the eligibility and so allow someone who interviewed well be selected.."

But this would be in breach of the code of conduct for the public sector as i have already posted

Well yes and no, she'd have to see her own scoring and if she's lucky , find out where she fell down in (or even better find out where he did better). I don't think the op is going to do that at this late stage.
    I find with these things they need to be acted upon quickly with the backing of union advice.
    I don't think the op is in a union or wants to join if I remember correctly. So if she wants to make a complaint she should be seeking legal advice to do it properly.

At this stage op I'd say forget about it.

Advertisement