Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from freewheel

Options
  • 13-07-2017 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,
    New to the forum here with a question.
    I have a single speed at the moment, which I absolutely adore, perfect for my commute, but there is one issue that slightly irks me,
    when pedalling there is often a kind of clunky noise from the freeweel cog (hoping that's the correct term) whenever I pedal. It can come and go. Is this usual and is there something I should look at to stop it.

I've taken off the wheel and lubricated it and tthechain but it came back in a couple of days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Probably some grit has got into the bearings of the freewheel.

Lubrication will wash it away to the side for a bit, but it will return soon after (or some new grit will enter, in poor conditions).

Also, if your chain-line isn't straight, there will be some side-load on the freewheel, which may cause crunching in a cheap/worn freewheel.

Advertisement