Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slurry

Options
  • 13-07-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just wondering was at a river and these lads pulled up with two tractors and where I think either cleaning or pumping water into the slurry tank is this allowed at all? This has been happening for a while I think, just seen them today doing it.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Just wondering was at a river and these lads pulled up with two tractors and where I think either cleaning or pumping water into the slurry tank is this allowed at all? This has been happening for a while I think, just seen them today doing it.

Any ideas ?

They are fine to just pump water into the tank. Cleaning it out or discharging anything from the tank would be illegal as it would result in slurry entering the river

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I think they where pumping into the tank still fairly low water though.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

My parents have a farm, and I help out there a lot. I have done this myself lots of times when spreading slurry. If the slurry is too thick to spread, water is added an mixed into the slurry to make it easier to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I am of the opinion you cant take river water - but could be wrong, I know a guy who does it and he goes to remote land to et river water so not to be seen!

Anyway - I always hate when I see him at it - if the tanks empty and he just gets water you can see the fish go to the light of the window in the tank :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The window of the tank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

PCeeeee wrote: »
    The window of the tank?

There's a sight glass on the back of the tanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The council blocked off the entrance to a few rivers around here years ago to stop people using tankers to get water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

As a kid my dad used take the odd tank from a small stream that ran through the farm to irrigate the kitchen garden during droughts. I used run after with a bucket gathering up small trout that would be flopping around the drills. They made rubbish pets though always jumping out of the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

why not say it to the farmer and see how long you will be fishing that river.:)

blackpearl wrote: »
    why not say it to the farmer and see how long you will be fishing that river.:)
    There's no club running the river for miles, Less with the smart talk, Wouldn't you not do the same ask and see if their doing something that's harming the river? Or just blame it on the pike for killing trout again?

Thanks for the helpful posters..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

There's no club running the river for miles, Less with the smart talk, Wouldn't you not do the same ask and see if their doing something that's harming the river? Or just blame it on the pike for killing trout again?

Thanks for the helpful posters..

Well mister know it all i did report a famer a number of years ago for slurry the fisheries nailed him a few fish killed it was got just in time ,but within a few weeks signs up no fishing its been like that for the last 8 years if that is smart talk well your a sad person ,and as for the pike you are the one that brought that up .

blackpearl wrote: »
    Well mister know it all i did report a famer a number of years ago for slurry the fisheries nailed him a few fish killed it was got just in time ,but within a few weeks signs up no fishing its been like that for the last 8 years if that is smart talk well your a sad person ,and as for the pike you are the one that brought that up .

Well atleast say it like that then, and for you not to see it as a smart comment then your "sad" I was only asking to see if they "were" doing something "fishy" .....
    Also if they where doing something illegal and doing something that would harm the river I would obviously ring in.. I wouldn't care if I wasn't able to fish that stretch of river again.

Advertisement