Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightweight Roadie Touring

Options
  • 13-07-2017 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Has anybody ever gone on a trip for a few days where you ride almost like you would in a sportive and stay in B&Bs or other accomodation overnight ?

You would have carried a very small and light pack on your back with only bare essentials and wouldn't have booked accomodation in advance. Instead you called in to places looking for a vacancy when you felt you had enough of the bike for that day.

If so how did it work out ?

And what would you have considered the bare essentials to be ?

As starters, over your cycling gear for the day (similar to what you would carry on a sportive) would you consider going as light as a backpack containing just ?

- sandals
    - short trousers
    - 2 underpants
    - 2 T Shirts
    - phone charger
    - light top (different from cycling one)

BTW knowing some of the characters on this group I'd expect and welcome the smarty pants answers too :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Has anybody ever gone on a trip for a few days where you ride almost like you would in a sportive and stay in B&Bs or other accomodation overnight ?

You would have carried a very small and light pack on your back with only bare essentials and wouldn't have booked accomodation in advance. Instead you called in to places looking for a vacancy when you felt you had enough of the bike for that day.

As starters, over your cycling gear for the day (similar to what you would carry on a sportive) would you consider going as light as a backpack containing just ?

- sandals
    - short trousers
    - 2 underpants
    - 2 T Shirts
    - phone charger

BTW knowing some of the characters on this group I'd expect and welcome the smarty pants answers too :D

Credit card touring is pretty popular and a great way to see a different country or part of out country.

If you are organized you can travel pretty light; a sink and a bar of soap is your friend! A towel to dry clothes by wrapping them and wringing them is a good trick also.

Don't use a backpack, use something from one of the links below or similar sjs cycles/spa cycles are good for those types of things

http://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/super-c-audax-saddlebag

https://www.athleteshop.ie/topeak-mtx-trunk-bag-ex?as=athlete&kwd_id=22985-AGI-36038621676-ASI-205953321400-ASK2UTYRGT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqfC45siG1QIVxp3tCh00DAraEAQYAiABEgIr5PD_BwE

They'll change how your bike handles a bit but nothing drastic.

Consider spd pedals or covers for spd-sl cleats.

Not booking is what I have done on a 4 different short tours and it worked really well until the night it didn't; day 2 of a 3 day 700km plus spin across northern Spain I had 280km and 4000m done with a 20kg rig (was an 8 day trip in total and needed tools, including spare spokes etc) done when I ran into major difficulty getting accommodation. The whole region was booked solid. Eventually saved by a helpful guy in bike shop around sunset who rang a lot of places before he found a room for me.

Shouldn't be any hassle here with data connection airBnb etc.

Have bike tipp top shape and don't be using some racing wheelset with 18 radial spokes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Did exactly what you described. Really enjoyed it but hadn't trained for and wasn't able for the toll of a few long days in a row. If i was to do it again I'd prepare by getting used to a hard Saturday followed by a hard sunday etc.
    Bring some kind of a light lock, nothing great - I've since spotted the so-called café locks and that might suit. You'll want to pop into shops or cafes (pubs?!) on the way and while most country villages are fine to leave down a bike it'll probably be worth it for peace of mind. You'll also be storing the bike god knows where overnight. I thought to bring a kryptonite last-minute and it was too heavy and awkward.
    I did it with a light backpack with a chest strap and it worked ok. Back was stiffer than normal but not too bad.
    I found it hard enough to relax into it as I found I was getting obsessed with avg speed, maybe it's the only pastime for the mind after a while. I think next time I'll bring music, small mp3 player or something for the lull, though I normally don't listen to music on bike.
    I also brought small container of shower gel, ointment to rub into muscles and baby powder for chafing. 1 underpants + 1 t-shirt will do you unless you're going for more than 3 or 4 days. You're only wearing them for a few hours before bed.
    Brought second pair of bibs too, don't mind damp shirt but setting off in the morning with not-quite-dry pad would be a horror.
    Wrap everything in a dry-bag/bin bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

A backpack is a PITA. What you want is a saddlebag that hangs off those little metal tabs on the back of your Brooks (or off the saddle rails, if you don't have those tabs or similar). The ideal saddlebag (after nearly ten years of trial and error) is an Alpkit drybag, with strap-loops built in, and two nylon webbing straps, plus standard friction buckles. Fill the drybag (3-4 kg is all you need, including a minimal repair kit, goretex, and roughly the gear you listed (I can PM you a full list if you're bothered)), roll the top of it, hang it, cinch it tight, and it barely barely touches the back of the thighs when working really hard - you really don't know it's there.

Keep your bike in your room at night, or only book places with somewhere safe to keep the bike. AirBnB is your friend, tho in Ireland, plainBnB is also pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Would be thinking of trying it out somewhere not too far initially, Kerry or West Cork perhaps and only for a few days on a half decent forecast.

Basically would be looking at just enough clothes to walk around a village comfortably and eat out.

Would be thinking of using it for training as well (hence light is important) so the first 2 hours on the bike would be Z2 and upwards stuff and thereafter rolling along in Z1 taking in the view.

Had considered a lock but it would need to be really light and just enough to deter the quick lift.

I presume that even midsummer in Cork/Kerry you'd always find a B&B somewhere (at a reasonable cost) within a 30km range.

Shoe wise, I had wondered. I have SPD-SL with the new speedplay cleat covers but you'd still look a bit weird in a restaurant or bar with them when dressed otherwise fairly normal.

I have SPD mountain shoes which would be fine for evening stuff but don't particularly enjoy cycling in them. Hence the sandals

brownian wrote: »
    A backpack is a PITA. What you want is a saddlebag that hangs off those little metal tabs on the back of your Brooks (or off the saddle rails, if you don't have those tabs or similar). The ideal saddlebag (after nearly ten years of trial and error) is an Alpkit drybag, with strap-loops built in, and two nylon webbing straps, plus standard friction buckles. Fill the drybag (3-4 kg is all you need, including a minimal repair kit, goretex, and roughly the gear you listed (I can PM you a full list if you're bothered)), roll the top of it, hang it, cinch it tight, and it barely barely touches the back of the thighs when working really hard - you really don't know it's there.

Keep your bike in your room at night, or only book places with somewhere safe to keep the bike. AirBnB is your friend, tho in Ireland, plainBnB is also pretty good.

Presume you mean the koala ?

https://www.alpkit.com/products/koala
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wC8MgPa3jg

And if you have a list please either PM it or post back here.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Premier Inn allow you to keep the bike in your room and they're usually reasonable enought price wise. Just on the boat back now after a few days of touring and quite buzzed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Travel Lodges are pretty well placed around the country. Cheap and you can keep the bike with you. A couple of them don't have a breakfast room on site but link up with a nearby eatery who provide the breakfast. If your in Waterford, avoid the breakfast option and buy a McDonalds or pick up something in Lidl.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'd say look at Apidura's line of bags. Much better than a backpack, more comfortable and more aero which you'll appreciate if you're doing long miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Keep in mind if your preference is hotels this time of year in West Cork and Kerry can be booked solid at weekends and midweek not to mention steep prices.

I stay away with work more than I'd care to and last trip down to Bantry there were no rooms in the local inn so packed the tent up and headed to http://www.eaglepointcamping.com/ and took a spin down sheeps head. The weather was chronic but the facilities in eagle point are excellent.

If I were considering doing what you have planned and I have done a short trip before I'd be going with a tent it'll make it a much better adventure and you can end up pitching in amazing places all to yourself particularly in Kerry or West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

We have done it numerous times but never in Ireland. Always Spain/Portugal/France.
    The advantage of these countries is that you are nearly guaranteed warm weather so can travel very light.

I use a Carradice SuperC saddlebag (23 litres) and bar bag (7 litres)

Been away for 12 days longest trip and do a laundry half way through.

kit is

2 cycling jerseys
    2 cycling shorts
    2 pairs mitts
    4 pairs cycling socks.
    cycling shoes
    light rain jacket (tennis ball size)
    arm warmers ( for early morning)
    helmet

and for casual wear

2 pair of casual shorts
    2 casual shirts
    light sandals
    4 pairs underpants

toiletries and phone/charger.

Disadvantage of Ireland is that you may have to pack fleece/trousers for evening time. Also you would need to be able to dry clothes if you have a bad day.

I would suggest to anyone trying a light tour for the first time is to do the Camino Francais (on road). Fly to Biarritz and fly home from Santiago. Cheap flights both ways

About 850kms. Accommodation is plentiful. You can do the trip on a road bike on very quiet roads. Its probably as cheap as Ireland overall as food and accomodation is cheap. Go in May or September ideally for nice weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Thanks

More like the Airlok Xtra. Not bike specific but a lot cheaper and very robust. Stays dry in a downpour, I carried a sleeping bag in one through 300k of heavy rain before bedding down in a dry sleeping bag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ford2600 wrote: »
    Consider spd pedals or covers for spd-sl cleats.

Look Touring and/or City shoes if you are a Keo Pedals man. The cleats are recessed into the shoe and you can comfortably walk in them. Not stiff or anything, but they're excellent and come with pedals.

Thanks

No - the Airlok Extra

https://www.alpkit.com/images/studio/airlokxtra_chilli_1000.jpg

GEAR LIST BELOW (apologies for formatting) - this is for 3 weeks. Clearly, you could avoid some of the electronics and some of the first aid stuff.

Money PERSONAL LIST: Ciaran
    Passport Jox n Sox
    EHC health card 1 sandals
    1 Merino top instead of a fleece
    1 down jacket
    FIRST AID minimal road rash kit - Europe has lots of chemists. 1 pair convertible trousers
    Ibuprofen , 1 goretex jacket (as on the bike)
    wound dressing, 2 t-shirts [may buy another]
    non adherent dressing, Togs ?
    Plasters Wash bag/toiletries
    hand sanitiser (smallest size) toothpaste
    toothbrush
    2 feet of k-tape deo
    velcro elbow support razor
    earplugs
    Bike repairs mini shampoo
    tyre patches 1 small soap
    spare tubes 3 total sun-block (decanted small size)
    multitool 1 aftersun (ditto)
    bike lock minimal chamois cream
    gear cable
    kevlar spare spoke
    Pump Shorts x 2
    leatherman Jersey x 2
    Battery charger for transmission (if Pintail bike) Shoes
    Tyre levers 3 Gloves
    spare chain links (2) Arm warmers
    Leg warmers
    Other Helmet
    Kindle Sunglasses
    Bike
    Camera Waterbottles (2)
    Phone holder for handlebars 1 Pannier or carrier-top bag
    Phone Lights F+R
    3-slot USB charger (2-pin) handlebar bags and strap
    zip lock bags for phones and passports under-helmet skull0cap SKULLCAP
    small power block for phone Garmin speedo
    maps on phone (komoot, with google maps as backup)
    & 3 usb cables

Brought second pair of bibs too, don't mind damp shirt but setting off in the morning with not-quite-dry pad would be a horror.

TBH, your bibs and chamois are not dry after half an hour anyway. Putting them on damp is indeed icky, but it lasts about 2 minutes. Then they warm up. If you are sleeping indoors, there's a strong argument for one pair of shorts, wash them in the shower, towel-wring them, hang them to dry. Under the duvet with them, if there's no drying in the air.

Well will be heading off from tarbert in a few hours, plan is to get to dingle this evening via ballyheigue if wind permits.

Didn't have time to source a large saddle bag so going with a compact rucksack instead which weighs exactly 3.0kg. Between this, 650g lock and couple of extra bike bits I am about 4kg heavier than what I'd usually be on a club spin. Will be interesting to see how much this effects riding style.

Nothing booked in dingle, will be winging it.

Rucksack on back worked well, maybe because if was compact, light and tight. Lock bit of a nuisance, had it wrapped around saddle bag but it would eventually unwind and you'd notice it against the thigh.

Only got into dingle about 7 and as was quite wet grabbed one of the b&bs 15min walk outside town on conor pass road. Got impression its busy in town alright.

Like the flexibility of not pre booking

Trained for 90 mins of spin, rest of time just doodled along

Miklos wrote: »
    I'd say look at Apidura's line of bags. Much better than a backpack, more comfortable and more aero which you'll appreciate if you're doing long miles.

Saw one in use in Lahinch not too long ago, looked well on the bike:

https://www.apidura.com/shop/

Rucksack on back worked well, maybe because if was compact, light and tight. Lock bit of a nuisance, had it wrapped around saddle bag but it would eventually unwind and you'd notice it against the thigh.

Only got into dingle about 7 and as was quite wet grabbed one of the b&bs 15min walk outside town on conor pass road. Got impression its busy in town alright.

Like the flexibility of not pre booking

Trained for 90 mins of spin, rest of time just doodled along

Its a few weeks ago but just to wrap up on this, the 3 day route was

https://www.strava.com/activities/1084912794
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1086623811
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1088016198

Coming into Sneem on the second day I knocked on the door of the first B&B I saw with a vacancy sign. Bean an Tigh was an 80 year old lady and the place looked dated (wouldn't think it was in any online listings) but the bed was comfortable, room clean and breakfast very good quality. No complaints at 30 euros.

If doing something similar again would drive to Tralee or Killarney as North Kerry scenery doesn't compare with the peninsulas. Would also reduce daily average distance to 80-100km because while 375km over 3 days was doable it was a bit of a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Well done on your trip.
    I did a super-light ride with overnight to Dingle 2 years ago. I still remember the looks as I walked into town from the B&B to a restaurant in my gear, including SPDs. And then back to the B&B after. I remember I was frozen in the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

- sandals
    - short trousers
    - 2 underpants
    - 2 T Shirts
    - phone charger

We did it earlier this year. I recommend that you consider your route! We went past miles and miles of sparse country without any amenities. I was a bit surprised that there was no access to public toilets for many miles in one spot.

We put saddlebags from the UK on the rear of our road bikes. We road from the eastern border of Co. Kildare to Co. Mayo. I carried sneakers, hiking shorts, bib shorts, rain jacket, tooth brush, shaver, socks, spare tubes, and tools in the saddle bag.

Check out Apidura's bag. It doesn't sway as much as a friend's Blackburn.

Bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Dave_White

Alpkit Dual (13L) works pretty good with drops, if you don't overload it, it sits very snugly on 42c bars, lots of room with 44c ones. Also great for top load racks and could work as a saddle bag in a pinch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If doing something similar again would drive to Tralee or Killarney as North Kerry scenery doesn't compare with the peninsulas. Would also reduce daily average distance to 80-100km because while 375km over 3 days was doable it was a bit of a chore.

Where to start with this...

North Kerry is a great place to ride a bike, Kerry Head, Marsh lands south of Banna etc.

You cycled all the way to Dingle and didn't ride Slea Head? The road to Dingle and back isn't pleasant riding with the exception of Conor Pass, better skipped entirely especially if not riding Slea Head.

You rode Iveragh and missed all the great cycling roads, and chose the worst option for cycling Killarney-Tralee-Tarbert...

When cc touring solo3- 4 hrs is enough? What are you going to do for the other 20hrs. For a racing cyclist dieseling away for 6/8 hrs at 25km or so shouldn't be that much of a chore?

A lot to work on for next year....

outfox wrote: »
    Well done on your trip.
    I did a super-light ride with overnight to Dingle 2 years ago. I still remember the looks as I walked into town from the B&B to a restaurant in my gear, including SPDs. And then back to the B&B after. I remember I was frozen in the restaurant.

In dingle first b&b I tried had a vacancy sign but I was told it was since full when knocked on door. Perhaps it was but I was pretty wet and wondered was the owner just not bothered dealing with a bike and wet gear. I rang the next place showing a vacancy beforehand even though I could have just as easily called. Its harder for somebody to turn you away if they just told you 2 mins beforehand on the phone they had a room

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

In dingle first b&b I tried had a vacancy sign but I was told it was since full when knocked on door. Perhaps it was but I was pretty wet and wondered was the owner just not bothered dealing with a bike and wet gear. I rang the next place showing a vacancy beforehand even though I could have just as easily called. Its harder for somebody to turn you away if they just told you 2 mins beforehand on the phone they had a room

Curiosity/mischief would have had me ringing the place you previously called to to see if they had a vacancy :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    Where to start with this...

North Kerry is a great place to ride a bike, Kerry Head, Marsh lands south of Banna etc.

You cycled all the way to Dingle and didn't ride Slea Head? The road to Dingle and back isn't pleasant riding with the exception of Conor Pass, better skipped entirely especially if not riding Slea Head.

You rode Iveragh and missed all the great cycling roads, and chose the worst option for cycling Killarney-Tralee-Tarbert...

When cc touring solo3- 4 hrs is enough? What are you going to do for the other 20hrs. For a racing cyclist dieseling away for 6/8 hrs at 25km or so shouldn't be that much of a chore?

A lot to work on for next year....

Was aware alright of many of the side road detours such as slea head (have done ras mumham sportive on those roads) but once decision was taken to ride on 2 peninsulas there was always going to be route and time restrictions. And the great thing about the main iveragh loop is that road surface is decent and the scenery great. And that loop to dingle while maybe not quite as spectacular as slea head still offers great views.

Thought I found a nice little route from Killarney to Tralee which was both direct and quiet. Brought me out on top of the castlemaine to Tralee climb (used in Lacey cup) . Can be seen on strava link and would recommend it to anyone looking to get quickly between the 2 towns

Advertisement