Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD on registration plate

Options
  • 13-07-2017 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

So after a particularly close pass from a nice big Merc at the Donnybrook church same guy bombed up the bus lane into town, noted the letter CD on his plate.

Diplomatic or detective?

Arsehole either way...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Diplomat.

They can do what they want up to a point, there was a controversy in London over the congestion charge where a lot of embassy's just don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I met one on the Stillorgan bypass, real pushy type of guy in the bus lane behind me. Started blowing the horn to get me to go so told him the cd on his reg wouldn't protect him from a hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Since it's nearly Friday......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Plasid wrote:
    Diplomatic or detective?

Corp Diplomatic. Embassy car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I always thought it was for complete d1ckhead

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always think they are the reason the Gardai don't bother most of the N11 during school term because half the cars they fine would be CD plates. Never get any hassle from them as they are still going faster than regular traffic.

They actually can't do what they want but they do rack up quite a few fines, certain countries are known for not paying, others cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

They are not immune from sanction. There has to be a will to do so but when the Garda don't even bother that much with the low hanging fruit, with total exposure, they are not going after Embassy staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cars don't have diplomatic immunity. Some embassy staff have immunity.

Don't assume that the driver of a car with CD plates has immunity. If they've endangered you, and especially if you have good evidence, it is worth following up with the Gardai. Or better still, if you can find out which embassy they are from, follow up with the Ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cars don't have diplomatic immunity. Some embassy staff have immunity.

Don't assume that the driver of a car with CD plates has immunity. If they've endangered you, and especially if you have good evidence, it is worth following up with the Gardai. Or better still, if you can find out which embassy they are from, follow up with the Ambassador.

+1 how old was the car? maybe it was sold and the new owner didn't bother to change the plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Diplomat.

They can do what they want up to a point, there was a controversy in London over the congestion charge where a lot of embassy's just don't pay.

Yeah, Ken Livingstone called the US Ambassador a "chiselling little crook":
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4853520.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Lots of CD plates are not diplomats - they belong to people working for EU institutions. When cities are effectively bidding to get an EU institution they offer CD to all sorts of staff levels so it could be a mid ranking scientist in and EU funded lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Someone around the corner from me use to own a 2000 red micra that had CD on the reg, wish i had a photo of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

07Lapierre wrote: »
    +1 how old was the car? maybe it was sold and the new owner didn't bother to change the plates.

You cannot sell a car with diplomatic plates. However, somebody could add CD to any plate and chance it!! How likely are they to be caught ? In other countries it's a controlled plate - different to standard ones.

I had a UN plate in Switzerland and the Swiss Police were very strict on it - because of embassy staff speeding and parking wherever they felt. The Swiss would issue tickets and have them towed!

No messing with Der Schweizer Polizei....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cython wrote: »
    Since it's nearly Friday......

Ah you're a legend cython for posting that scene. One of my favourite films! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AlanG wrote: »
    Lots of CD plates are not diplomats - they belong to people working for EU institutions. When cities are effectively bidding to get an EU institution they offer CD to all sorts of staff levels so it could be a mid ranking scientist in and EU funded lab.

Interesting - would there be any/many such institutions in Ireland?

Eurofound perhaps?
    https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/eurwork/industrial-relations-dictionary/european-foundation-for-the-improvement-of-living-and-working-conditions-eurofound

Advertisement