Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it weird to hate summer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I love hot weather but I'm getting sick of it in Ireland , I end up working in my stuffy uniform .
    If I'm off I seem to get caught unprepared , raining in the morning so I dress for that / only to be sweating in the car returning home later.....

If it was consistently good where we would get acclimatised to it and be able to throw on light clothing without getting drenched shivering in I think we'd all enjoy it more .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Is it weird to hate summer?

Not weird, but you gotta remember....

"Summertime, and the livin' is easy
    Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
    Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
    So hush, little baby, don't you cry...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Where did the phrase 'wild swimming' spring from? It's the current faddy term. Swimming in the sea is a run-of-the-mill thing that has always happened. Lakes too to a lesser extent. 'Wild swimming' implies something mad adventurous instead of a thing everyone has been doing since the year dot. I feel like the term is a by-product of the rise of Instagram. Are all those people in the sea off the beaches of resorts in Med wild swimmers?

Yes, they are. Mad as it sounds to us who were reared in a simpler time.

Nowadays, if you mention "swimming" people automatically think of chlorine, blue tiles and lifeguards.
    Many are irrationally afraid of trusting to skill, nature and commonsense; caution is necessary, of course, but you can be too cautious!
    It is one of the glories of summer, jumping in the waves and feeling the natural water rippling on your skin.

Day Lewin wrote: »

Nowadays, if you mention "swimming" people automatically think of chlorine, blue tiles and lifeguards.
    Many are irrationally afraid of trusting to skill, nature and commonsense; caution is necessary, of course, but you can be too cautious!
    It is one of the glories of summer, jumping in the waves and feeling the natural water rippling on your skin.

I would love to be able to do that. I have such a strange relationship with water because I can't swim. I love the sea and living beside it is a dream of mine but my fear holds me back from swimming.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember a thread on AH about a year ago where a surprising number of posters opined that they'd prefer to live in the Arctic Circle rather than the Carribean.

Just shows there are a lot of misery loving souls attracted to negativity here. Pity. :(

As for me - I love summer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Summer all the way!

I love the long warm days. They seem to be getting warmer and sunnier every year.

The only thing winter has going for it is that you don't feel like you have to get out and about after work. It's dark and miserable most of the time so no guilt is felt by just sitting on the couch!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I remember a thread on AH about a year ago where a surprising number of posters opined that they'd prefer to live in the Arctic Circle rather than the Carribean.

Just shows there are a lot of misery loving souls attracted to negativity here. Pity. :(

As for me - I love summer! :)

I don't understand how you equate a living preference with loving misery. There are many beautiful places in this world and one person's idea of heaven is different to another's.

Anyone remember the long hot summer of 76'...

Ah, those were the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So we go right from Spring to Winter and then right to Summer? That's quite the rollercoaster ride

Life is a rollercoaster baby, just got to ride it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sunny weather brings Vitamin D to the body and has been shown to improve mood. Cold, dark weather is a correlate for a more depressed state of mood. My 2 cents but this being AH I'll be sure to be savaged for it...

It's a bit of a pity but if you read through many of the threads up on AH there are a lot of posters attracted to negativity in the world. :(

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Sunny weather brings Vitamin D to the body and has been shown to improve mood. Cold, dark weather is a correlate for a more depressed state of mood. My 2 cents but this being AH I'll be sure to be savaged for it...

It's a bit of a pity but if you read through many of the threads up on AH there are a lot of posters attracted to negativity in the world. :(

I'm a very positive person and love the winter. Absolutely bizarre that a love of a particular season equals negativity in your mind.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

This is a hypothetical discussion right? Considering our winters are mostly damp and cold and our summers are mostly damp and lukewarm. :P

Having said that, I did enjoy last summer. That's probably because it happened on a Saturday and I was on my day off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Love winter/autumn/spring! The summer can go fcuk itself. I don't go abroad during the summer to avoid the heat and this year it comes to me. Sweaty, hot, tired, my sinuses and lungs causing a fuss, all sore and wheezy in this weather and it's so humid I feel like I'm trying to breathe through soup.

Give me lovely dark evenings curled up on the couch with my electric blanket and a cup of cocoa. Being nicely wrapped up in a big coat when I go out, not having to shave my legs all the time and being able to wear comfortable shoes. Summer is a far more self conscious time for me in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm a very positive person and love the winter. Absolutely bizarre that a love of a particular season equals negativity in your mind.

Tbf they never said nothing approaching a love of winter equals negatively in your mind....just that summer tends to make people happier is what I read on it

In a roundabout way refering to this maybe???
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

While I struggle in extreme heat (more so in direct sunlight with the heat), I love when it's bright out and there's a warm breeze...even just seeing the sunshine! It's a good pick-me-up.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I love summer, like the heat (within moderation) and the bright long evenings. Dont much like those damp summers but so far this one has been great.
    But I also like winter. Nice to be able to wrap up warm and hibernate.
    Spring is good too, all the trees and flowers starting to come back to life.
    And autumn is the best looking season with all the colours of the leaves.

I like weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

.............ought to be balmy evening airs, cooing of doves etc, but instead need to pack brolly and mackintosh.
    Piff, call this a summer?

Are you a character from an Enid Blyton book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Summer in Ireland can suck a big one.

I like predictable weather. Summer doesn't work like that in Ireland.

We're not used to the heat so no-one has aircon.

I want to have the option at all times to flick a switch and be at the temperature I want to be at. Winter. That's where its at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Winter sucks. Those of you who like the dark and cold are morbid freaks. So that's it settled then.

Tbf they never said nothing approaching a love of winter equals negatively in your mind....just that summer tends to make people happier is what I read on it

In a roundabout way refering to this maybe???
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Tbf being attracted to negativity in the world has zero connection to liking colder weather in my view.

SAD is a very real condition no doubt about that. Some people are afflicted with it in the darker months. Some people also struggle in the warmer months. It never ceases to amaze me how we judge groups of people unfavourably because they choose a different way of living or like something different than is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

I don't believe at all that people are scared of swimming in the sea now. It's just swimming, get to feck with this "wild" jargon.

I went "wild" swimming off the Bull wall a couple of times this summer, it's a lovely feeling to swim in the sea close to your home :)
    Also wearing a wetsuit is cheating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I feel like I have to pretend to like the summer when chatting with strangers. Same with sports. Such a relief when hearing that people feel the same. :)

Yup same here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Winter sucks. Those of you who like the dark and cold are morbid freaks. So that's it settled then.

Look into this thing called fire.

Are you a character from an Enid Blyton book?

Yes: but you have to guess which one!

I don't believe at all that people are scared of swimming in the sea now. It's just swimming, get to feck with this "wild" jargon.

Not so much in the sea: but if you propose a swim in other non-policed waters, the Helfin-Safety minded have conniptions, and they're sure you will drown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Dick, there is always a Dickie in her books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eefslol

I really dislike summer too. I think maybe I'd enjoy it in a different country where I would know a few hot months were in store but Ireland is unpredictable and it stresses me out - wtf do I wear? Shops, restaraunts etc have no air con. Ireland's answer in general to hot weather is excessive drinking in public. Public transport is a nightmare because of BO. And my make up never sets properly.

I love winter because it's easier to dress for and you're not constantly told you should be out enjoying yourself. And it's cosy. Peak hygge.

I don't care if that makes me a negative nelly.

eefslol wrote: »
    hygge

Stop that

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

JulianDickandAnnGeorgeandTiiiimmmmythedoooooooog....

Be George. Or Julian. The others were a bit wet. Ann was a whiny bitch who should have been beaten to death with her own mary janes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter....doesn't matter, I'm miserable all year round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Is it weird to hate summer.

Not weird at all, but you gotta remember....

"Summer, summer, summertime
    Time to sit back and unwind

Here it is the groove slightly transformed
    Just a bit of a break from the norm
    Just a little somethin' to break the monotony
    Of all that hardcore dance that has gotten to be
    A little bit out of control it's cool to dance
    But what about the groove that soothes that moves romance
    Give me a soft subtle mix
    And if ain't broke then don't try to fix it
    And think of the summers of the past
    Adjust the bass and let the alpine blast
    Pop in my CD and let me run a rhyme
    And put your car on cruise and lay back cause this is summertime..."

Neyite wrote: »
    JulianDickandAnnGeorgeandTiiiimmmmythedoooooooog....

Be George. Or Julian. The others were a bit wet. Ann was a whiny bitch who should have been beaten to death with her own mary janes.

LOL - Agreed on Anne.

Actually, I'm really Fatty from The Five Find-Outers (And Dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Give me a cold frosty morning any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The humidity around today is awful.

I was in Aldi and it was so cool in there, went outside to load up the car, and the heat, that awful muggy heat slapped me in the face.

Nothing nicer than a cold frosty morning, always followed by a sunny day.

It is very difficult to cool down in this country unless you walk by the freezers in the supermarket all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Autumn is the season for me, you know where you're at with Autumn. Winter is fine but always disappointing on the snow front. Spring is a bit unpredictable, lashings of rain then random hot sun after.

Summer can fúck right off with its humidity and wasps. Unless you buy bottles of water when you're out then you're under attack. You end up giving Usain Bolt a run for his money trying to get away from the little bástards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The wasps do not bother me but the devil's damned fruit flies are an absolute scourge.
    The amount of glasses of wine ruined by them going for a bathe....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Don't mind the long evenings, but anything hotter than 20 degrees I dislike and as a stay at home parent finding stuff to entertain the kids during the summer months is a pain especially with limited cash flow .Dont mind the winter at all but seriously dislike the autumn because for some reason every October I get a horrible run of depression,its the only time of the year I get this and I barely want to get out of my bed or leave the house...it normally lifts around the end of October or beginning of November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Winterlong wrote: »
    The wasps do not bother me but the devil's damned fruit flies are an absolute scourge.
    The amount of glasses of wine ruined by them going for a bathe....

Napkin or coaster over your glass between sips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I really enjoy summer, but I do live on the continent where there are proper seasons.

Long hikes, swimming in the lake, sun bathing, early morning cycles....it's bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I can't wait now until August when it's autumn. The sun is too much for me o love when I wake up and it's cold, rainy and miserable outside.

One advantage of Winter being people are easier to deal with when they're despressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stegbeetle

Is it weird to hate summer.

I can't wait now until August when it's autumn. The sun is too much for me o love when I wake up and it's cold, rainy and miserable outside.

I feel a sense of dread when it's a nice day. Winter is my favourite of all. I hate that in the summer my routine is broken and I'm not in college full time

Anyone else

If it's weird then colour me weird! My pale, delicate skin doesn't react well to sunshine and if the temperature gets anywhere much above 25° then start to wilt. Don't even get me started on the mugginess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The thing I hate about Irish summer's in general is that you spend all"summer" hoping for good weather and when it doesn't happen its a let down. At least in the winter you know it's shíte all the time. Give me the winter any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Blue skies and sun in the sky is a free anti depressant it's a well known fact. Highest suicide rates are up in the Nordic countries with 6 months of darkness. Can't do piss all with cold and darkness other than fester...

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say I hate it but I don't really like it either. Especially when it's humid and I struggle to sleep or my clothes are sticking to me. At least in winter I can put some layers on to keep warm but there's only so much I can take off to keep me cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I hate summer. I hate how bright it is, how hot it is, how humid it is, and how it doesn't cool off at night. I get dehydrated far more easily, leading to headaches. I burn easily, heat makes me lethargic, I dislike it being bright at 10pm, I don't sleep well due to humidity and warmth and therefore am more tired in general. I hate the sweat and how hard it is to stay cool. It all makes me want to lie on a cool tile floor and not move for several months.

Winter, on the other hand, is glorious. Fresh, crisp, makes me want to get up and move, lets me wear my lovely winter coat, boots, scarves and all the other clothes I love. I can adjust my warmth levels with layers. It is dark early in the evenings, so it feels later than it is and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much evening remains. I don't sweat, get headaches or lethargy, dehydration or sunburn.

My mood goes to crap in summer, I get short-tempered and grumpy. In Winter I am gleeful most days.

I do love autumn too, but it can still be quite warm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah I have to agree with you OP. As I'm getting older I love Autumn/Winter.

I'm heavily pregnant at the minute also so the heat doesn't do me any favours. My little lad is in camp at the minute but I just know the minute he comes home he'll be tormenting him to put out his paddling pool and the neighbours kids will be over running amuck.

Shoot me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Love the summer. Bright in the mornings and evenings, can exercise and train in comfort outside.

I don't really mind winter either but the one thing I hate about all seasons is feckin' wind! It's the most annoying of all weathers. Lash rain down on me in the freezing cold, no bother as long as it's not windy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not a summer fan at all... was out on Sunday and it was so hot I hadn't the energy for anything :( Went down to get the car washed yesterday and my back was soaked with sweat by the time I got back.

Spring/Autumn for me.. Don't like winter either as I hate the cold as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement