Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it weird to hate summer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I love the summer. Nice long evenings. Fairly warm sometimes. I don't get people who say it's too hot here in the summer. It's never really hot. Just warm. It was 36 degrees where my Dad lives in France today. Still 31 degrees at 9PM. He doesn't have aircon in his house. That is hot!

I like the winter too for different reasons. Christmas and being in a cosy warm house.

It would be nice if it was hotter here in general. Love the heat. But oh well I choose to live here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Are people forgetting how much it rains in winter? at least with summer you get some nice days, winter is depressing

Greyfox wrote: »
    Are people forgetting how much it rains in winter? at least with summer you get some nice days, winter is depressing
    To me it seems like we get more rain in summer than winter nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

You get plenty of nice days in Winter, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Much prefer summer. Easier to get up since its bright. Hate in winter waking up in dark to go to work, and then coming home in dark. Depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Unearthly wrote: »
    Much prefer summer. Easier to get up since its bright. Hate in winter waking up in dark to go to work, and then coming home in dark. Depressing

I don't mind the coming home in the dark so much but getting up in the dark and it's freezing outside your bed is rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I like in the colder months you can pull up the duvet.

Last night I had just a duvet cover up to my waist and still had a rubbish sleep with the humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ginger_hammer

Yep not a fan of summer, having to think about sun cream/sun glasses/covering up whenever outside for prolonged period, busses hot and sweaty and full of packs of spanish kids. Bright at 10pm is a bad thing as it feels like day and bedtime is round the corner, kids out playing till late making noise.

Give me darkness outside, warm and cosy inside, curtains drawn and hibernating, rain good for garden and keeping people indoors.

The packs of Spanish kids on buses is unreal in Summer. On monday about 20 of them piled onto my bus (guided by an English school), with another 20 or so left outside waiting for another bus (why they didn't get a private bus I don't know) and yesterday on my bus into town I heard 7 different spanish speakers, and 1 Irish speaker, around me on the bus.

I always find it funny that the Irish go to Spain in Summer and, apparently, the Spanish come here!

I've been absolutely dying from the humidity. Cannot wait for Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I hate it since I moved to Stuttgart a few months ago. Most days at least 30C, 37C one day a few weeks ago. I can't handle it at all as I fry in the sun (typical pale Celtic skin type)and find myself having to stay indoors more than I'd like.

Can't wait for it to be over and next year I'm coming back to Ireland to live for the summer. :( Will never complain again about Irish weather and I long for a typical cool grey Irish summer's day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Loving the rain today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Loving the rain today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Loving the rain today

I long for it.
    35C on my balcony right now. The moment I step outside I'm met with a blast of heat like walking into a furnace. We have to have two massive canvas sail cloths on the front to block out the sun coming into the apartment :(
    Heavy thunderstorms coming tomorrow though thank feck and cooler weather after that.

Loving the rain today

It only rained this morning here but it's meant to be on going for a few days and the temperatures are meant to drop to around mid-teens. Cannot. Wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Ush1 wrote: »
    I don't mind the coming home in the dark so much but getting up in the dark and it's freezing outside your bed is rough.

Set your heat to come on early and turn on a light when you are getting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I hate heat. I hate drippy melty ice-pops. I hate sunburn, and pressure to wear fake tan (I don't wear it, but I hate the pressure, and constant discussions.) I hate it being too hot to run. I hate the constant chats about the grand spell of sunshine we're having. I hate seeing topless spotty teenage youths. Or even worse, topless old men with fat sunburnt beer-bellies. Vom. I hate it being too bright to have an early night. I hate open-toed shoes/sandals - I don't wear them myself, but it bothers me that I'm seeing toes EVERYWHERE at the moment, I don't even have a phobia of toes but they're just such ugly appendages, why do people insist on displaying them when it's sunny?

I love cold crispy crunchy frosty mornings. Shopping for a beautiful-yet-functional warm winter coat. Cuddles on the couch in warm fluffy blankets in front of a big glowy fire. Running in the rain and dark, followed by a long hot shower and a hot chocolate. Black opaque tights, the thicker and woollier the better. The distant-yet-possible promise of a potential snow-day off work. Going home from work in the dark, feeling no pressure to go "out there" and do "things" just because it's still bright in the evenings. No sweaty sticky yuckiness.

Boo to summer. Yay to winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Loving the rain today

Wet and humid is the worst type of weather .......hot and humid just as bad

humid is the common denominator, eliminate humidity and I'm content

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yes, very

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

When its summer I feel like somewhere out there somebody is having too much fun and I am in my room making a tin foil hat for my cat bella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The majority of Irish women look beautiful when dressed in Summer clothes. That's my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just pulled a jumper on :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

......WEIRDO

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

First seeing this thread was like someone reading my mind :)

I like a dose of nice heat now and again (only ones with nice, mild breeziness, effing hate the humid days) but as a member of the pasty white type of Irish and capable only of getting sunburnt I just naturally prefer the coolness of Autumn and Winter, heck Spring too, and like being wrapped up in fleecy or woolly layers :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 kerwein

I love summer because of the beaches but not because of the heat as it keeps me sweating all day. It's really very inconvenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kerwein wrote:
    I love summer because of the beaches but not because of the heat as it keeps me sweating all day. It's really very inconvenient.

Stupid Sun, I think we should write a letter of complaint!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

So much cooler today, actually have a blanket wrapped around me. I love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I just love seasons. Wish we got more of the snow producing cold weather than the unseasonal 12, 13 degree winters we have had over the last year or two. And some more of last weekends lovely sunny weather wouldn't go amiss either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I feel we should have an informal summer agreement not to notice each other's sweatiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Just bumping this, bet many are finding this heatwave torture :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I wonder where Hollister11 went

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I believe it was Samuel Johnson who said "When a man is tired of summer, he is tired of life."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I generally like summer although the recent heat has been too much thankfully it looks like it will cool down a bit by this week although still quite warm and dry but it would be a worry if the rain doesn't come any time soon the grass has turned yellow in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hating takes too much energy . ;)

endure rather than enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Honestly where do you get the energy from :confused: me I’m just apathetic

a pathetic; wilting figure caught up in the gaze of seering summer sun. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

cdeb wrote: »
    Nope.

September = Meán Fomhár = Mid-autumn is the hint there.

Summer and winter are the best. Spring and autumn can be a bit meh; neither one nor the other.

That's based on the Pagan calendar. We generally run by the meteorological calendar with summer being June, July and August.....makes a lot of sense as they are statistically the warmest months of the year. This puts mid October as being mid-autumn.

Astronomical summer can also be accepted. This runs from the summer solstice to the autumn equinox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Eat less chips after a feed of pints. Not built means fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It's great if you're doing nothing in it, working, exercising or commuting in it must be sheer torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

How can people whinge and complain about wonderful weather that makes Ireland looks 1,000 times better, i can see an issue for some people over 70 but for everyone else stop complaining and go to the nearest beach/place with water, get a beer/coffee and revel in how beautiful Ireland is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

highdef wrote: »
    That's based on the Pagan calendar.
    It's the Irish calendar. The Irish calendar goes by the length of daylight, which makes a lot of sense in a country which doesn't get summer. Why does heat make more sense?

We don't generally run by Jun-Aug being summer. Try asking around - especially outside Dublin - and see what we generally run by.

Why are people so reluctant to accept that there's an Irish calendar? It's like any bit of diversion from what other countries do is embarrassing or something.

• Advertisement

How can people whinge and complain about wonderful weather that makes Ireland looks 1,000 times better, i can see an issue for some people over 70 but for everyone else stop complaining and go to the nearest beach/place with water, get a beer/coffee and revel in how beautiful Ireland is

I won't stop complaining. It is absolutely stifling for me. Ireland is beautiful looking in the sun but I also find it beautiful in all weathers. It also doesn't make it any easier for me to manage in the heat.

I won't stop complaining. It is absolutely stifling for me. Ireland is beautiful looking in the sun but I also find it beautiful in all weathers. It also doesn't make it any easier for me to manage in the heat.

Well said and after all THEY are complaining... ;)

Bit hard for midland folk :rolleyes:

cliche is your persona..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I have a three and a half hour daily commute in a car with no aircon. It's torturous.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I have a three and a half hour daily commute in a car with no aircon. It's torturous.

I've been driving with the back of my top bunched up under my bra strap :D If I don't I get out of the car with a big wet patch. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I don’t like summer. I love it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i dont like heatwaves , i,d like everyday to be 16 degree,s or less .
    And it,s nice to get rain at least once a week.
    In a heatwave people go out more, and there,s more litter in parks and beache,s .
    i do,nt hate summer , i hate a week where its just hot every day , with no rain.
    Its not good for the environment , we might run out of water ,theres already
    a hosepipe ban in dublin.
    i Don,t think extreme heat ,30 degrees plus makes ireland look better.
    People dont go to ireland in search of hot weather .
    driving or commuting is not pleasant in 30 degree heat .
    many irish buildings dont have a air cooling system apart from plugging in
    a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I'm out walking around in that baking sun all day long for work, the novelty wears off fast.
    Give me a cold, crisp, dry Irish morning and I'm happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I've been driving with the back of my top bunched up under my bra strap :D If I don't I get out of the car with a big wet patch. Ugh.

Must try that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Its not weird u hate summer when u have no summer job and are unfortunately in college

Advertisement