Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution woes - should I contact the Supers office?

Options
  • 13-07-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

So, I'm in the process of doing a like for like substitution and I'm still waiting after 6 weeks.

I contacted my FO a few weeks back and she said that the substitution was in order and it was on the Supers desk waiting for his approval.

Have people here contacted the Supers office directly to chase up on applications, substitution or otherwise? Or should I ask the FO to find out what the hold up is?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You won't, or should i say its rarer than Hen's teeth, to get straight through to the Super. You will always meet a "buffer" in the for, of a secretary or Garda acting as secretary.

For this reason if the FO has done all his/her work and its waiting on the Super to sign off then all you can do is keep the pressure on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Someone is messing my subs are counted in a matter of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Had this issue on a sub last year, I was waiting three if not four months. I did ring the Supers office and as Cass said I met a buffer in the form of a Garda Sgt doing the secretary job. I asked them if the paperwork was in hand, they checked and said that nothing was pending and that wasn't a bad thing and if I hadn't heard anything negative then all was good.
    Long story short -several phone calls / visits latter, another set of paper work submitted I finally got my sub on a o/u in February after starting the process in October, missed that season completely with that particular gun.

Funny and annoying thing is at the start of this year I did another sub -same station, same Super but a different Guard processing the paper work, guess what ? ...had the sub back in 2 weeks.

Ring the Supers office, the secretary will be able to tell you if the 'FO' has sent the paper work in for processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi down we're I am standard sub licence is 5 to 6 weeks no matter what I do I put 3 renewals in at the one time along with a new licence got the new licence in 6 weeks it took 13 weeks to get the renewals back . I have found another rifle that I like but if I sub now I won't have it till season has started so my plan is to do any subs after the season .
    Some lads can sub in 3 to 5 working days in different parts of the country hard to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

My last 3 subs were like for like and returned within 5/6 working days.
    Given that these were handed directly to the FO, I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that the sub was authorised by the FO and
    didnt need the supers signoff.

• Advertisement

Supers must sign off on all firearms licenses, subs or full applications. The law says it must be them and its why there were "issues" a year or so ago when some subs and a couple of applications were being signed off on by Inspectors. Don't know what happened in the background but it soon stopped.

So FOs have no authority to issue them. It's also why you must apply for it using an FCA1. Otherwise you could just nip into the station and the FO could do it there and then on PULSE.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Cass wrote: »
    Otherwise you could just nip into the station and the FO could do it there and then on PULSE.

Wouldn't that be nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Cass wrote: »
    Otherwise you could just nip into the station and the FO could do it there and then on PULSE.

Defies logic why it can't be done on a like for like firearm/calibre substitution. Isn't that all a substitution is, changing the details on PULSE. You've been granted a license and paid your fee. Why leave guys without an authorised firearm for a unspecified period of time. The 14 day guideline, sure it's only pie in the sky stuff.

I remember the the old system. You'd bring your docket from the dealer to your station and the Garda would take the details and amend the cert there and then.

alanmc wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be nice. :)
    It would.
    lefthooker wrote: »
    Defies logic why it can't be done on a like for like firearm/calibre substitution. Isn't that all a substitution is, changing the details on PULSE. You've been granted a license and paid your fee. Why leave guys without an authorised firearm for a unspecified period of time. The 14 day guideline, sure it's only pie in the sky stuff.
    Technically you're applying to have the authorisation transferred to another firearm and it's the Super's job to determine if you should have the new one, if its the same as the old one and whether it is a sub or merits a new application.
    I remember the the old system. You'd bring your docket from the dealer to your station and the Garda would take the details and amend the cert there and then.
    Ah yeah. The P20 & P21 wasn't it.

Advertisement