Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I prune this plant?

Options
  • 13-07-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

This rather lovely white plan grows very sticky if I leave it. What is it? Should I Ben clipping it back to keep it nice and bushy or will that kill it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, it won't kill it, keep the woody bits clipped back and give it a bit of a haircut. Its really an annual but depending on where you are you may get a few seasons out of it. It a type of cineraria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Good advice there from looksee.
    I have a few clumps of it and I never let it flower, I nip off the buds and it seems to keep the plant in great condition (though it's growing in pretty poor soil and partial shade).

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

That's interesting, I should probably do the same as you Rancid. It's after the flowering that it gets very overgrown and falls over. It's growing in very dry soil here (raised earth ditch separating land from Coilte).

When I prune it back is it like Lavendar in that I stay an inch or two higher than the sticky part or should I clip it right back like one would do with catmint?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I prune it back selectively, not like clipping a hedge..
    On mine when the stems turn woody they lean towards the ground so I just cut them off at ground level.
    By doing that and nipping out the buds before they get to flower the whole plant just thrives and it never gets to the straggly stage.

Advertisement