Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Looking forward

...........to reading about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

kiers47 wrote: »
    Shane Lowry.
    Paul Dunne.
    Padraig Harrington.
    Rory McIlroy.

Thats it i think
    What time are Lowry and Harrington out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

First Up wrote: »

Think Harrington and Lowry are playing the Barracuda??

charlieIRL wrote: »

Think Harrington and Lowry are playing the Barracuda??
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PGA not on until next week.

20.33&20.44 tomorrow in the barracuda.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »

PGA not on until next week.

20.33&20.44 tomorrow in the barracuda.
    Of course, yes its the WGC this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Im pretty confused. Someone asked what Irish players are in the US PGA i provided the list.

PGA isnt until next week so times will be released then. This thread is about that tournament i thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Tee times are not released until tomorrow (Friday 3rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kiers47 wrote: »
    Im pretty confused. Someone asked what Irish players are in the US PGA i provided the list.

PGA isnt until next week so times will be released then. This thread is about that tournament i thought?

I think somebody else was confused also and was trying to be smart till it backfired :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think somebody else was confused also and was trying to be smart till it backfired :cool:

Indeed.

Has a final decision been made on this?

Is it definitely not on any TV channels?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Has a final decision been made on this?

Is it definitely not on any TV channels?

Eleven Sports - 95% looks like it's gonna be exclusively online.

They are working on TV deals going forward but not a hope that'll be ready for the PGA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I’ve read that it’s available as an App, although I cannot find it in IOS App Store.

Anyone seen it? Also anyone know if it’ll have Chromecast capabilities?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

The PGA is been shown in America all four days on TNT and the last 2 days are on CBS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

the lawman wrote: »
    I’ve read that it’s available as an App, although I cannot find it in IOS App Store.

Anyone seen it? Also anyone know if it’ll have Chromecast capabilities?

Cant find it either. They say its only being released this week so I wont panic until tomorrow!
    Also interested re chromecast. I would say probably as how else will pubs and sports clubs show it? Then again, SkyGo (streaming app for Sky TV,) doesnt lend itself to chromecast, maybe eleven sports will be the same...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭mike2084

Eleven Sports has launched it's UK and Ireland website today:
    https://www.elevensports.uk/

Also the Racing Post are reporting that the lack of television coverage of the PGA has resulted in a large drop in betting on the tournament. Bookmakers are even hoping that Radio Five Live will cover it!

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/golf/lack-of-tv-coverage-set-to-damage-betting-turnover-on-us-pga-championship/341640

Whoever awarded the contract to eleven sports should be sacked.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mike2084 wrote: »
    Also the Racing Post are reporting that the lack of television coverage of the PGA has resulted in a large drop in betting on the tournament. Bookmakers are even hoping that Radio Five Live will cover it!

+1 as it's the last major in the year, I'd typically have an each-way punt on a couple of player but won't be doing so this year.

I'm also seriously reluctant to give my credit card details to some company I have never heard of and who I confidently expect will use the usual 'teething/startup problems' BS excuse to explain why they failed to process my cancellation and went ahead and charged me for a full monthly subscription that I didn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭redhill

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 as it's the last major in the year, I'd typically have an each-way punt on a couple of player but won't be doing so this year.

I'm also seriously reluctant to give my credit card details to some company I have never heard of and who I confidently expect will use the usual 'teething/startup problems' BS excuse to explain why they failed to process my cancellation and went ahead and charged me for a full monthly subscription that I didn't want.

It’s not the end of the world, they are only going to take 5.99 off you...worst case scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whoever awarded the contract to eleven sports should be sacked.
    Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

The PGA is been shown in America all four days on TNT and the last 2 days are on CBS

Thanks man.

Can you please pay for my flight to America so I can watch it.:D

Why?

Because you are masively reducing your potential audience.

The majors in a sport like golf should be used to promote the sport and increase overall interest in watching the sport.I know that I've watched a hell of a lot more golf in the last few years because I got into it due to watching the 4 majors each year.A few years back I was a major only watcher now I watch some golf pretty much every week.

Golf should really have the 4 majors on terrestrial TV all over the world in order to increase awareness of the sport and drive further interest in it both for potential viewers and potential players.Look at Wimbledon, no amount of money a broadcaster could offer is worth the great publicity blanket coverage of Wimbledon on the BBC provides.

Putting it on a web only provider is one of the stupidest moves I've seen made by a sport in a long while. Considering the age profile of a lot of golf fans and consdering that the PGA (particularly in europe) is by a country mile the 4th of the 4 majors (there was one stage a decade or so ago where the players championship appeared to be a bigger deal) and you'll have very few people except the real hard core fan watching this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's the only major run by the PGA, it's hard to see the other ones going down this road but then again the coverage from the Masters exploded relatively recently and now appears on Sky.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's the only major run by the PGA, it's hard to see the other ones going down this road but then again the coverage from the Masters exploded relatively recently and now appears on Sky.

I think when the viewershiup figures come in it might be the end of this experiement.

I'd say there are a whole load of fans who are assuming this will be on Sky/BBC this week and don't realise that this is on Eleven Sports.

Sort of surprised there hasn't been any comment yet from some of the British and Irish players about the decision.

Why?

Because you are masively reducing your potential audience.
    Not really. Its a massive deal for the PGA - $2billion over ten years. Its part of a worldwide trend and strategy to by pass TV and market direct to consumers via their personal devices . The objective is to increase the potential audience and we can expect to see more of it in golf and probably other sports.

I won't be signing up to Eleven to watch one tournament a year but who know what the market will look like in 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭bren2001

Not really. Its a massive deal for the PGA - $2billion over ten years. Its part of a worldwide trend and strategy to by pass TV and market direct to consumers via their personal devices . The objective is to increase the potential audience and we can expect to see more of it in golf and probably other sports.

I won't be signing up to Eleven to watch one tournament a year but who know what the market will look like in 5 years time.

The $2 billion deal has nothing to do with this weekend.

I don't see how selling a major to a brand new company with 0 subscribers at the time increases the potential audience in the slightest. It seems like an absolutely bonkers idea that does nothing but harm them this year.

The $2 billion deal and a move a multi-platform service has nothing to do with Eleven, they just bid the most and happen to be streaming based.

bren2001 wrote: »

The $2 billion deal has nothing to do with this weekend.

I don't see how selling a major to a brand new company with 0 subscribers at the time increases the potential audience in the slightest. It seems like an absolutely bonkers idea that does nothing but harm them this year.

The $2 billion deal and a move a multi-platform service has nothing to do with Eleven, they just bid the most and happen to be streaming based.
    It has everything to do with it. The PGA sold the international rights to Discovery Inc. They sold it on to various media distributors around the world. It was Discovery who did the deal with Eleven, not the PGA.

It has everything to do with it. The PGA sold the international rights to Discovery Inc. They sold it on to various media distributors around the world. It was Discovery who did the deal with Eleven, not the PGA.

Well then Discovery should be pulled up for this.

Why the hell didn't they put it on Eurosport seeing as they own it?

Web only is a nonsense idea.

You need to have a TV and web partner.

Web only doesn't maximise the audience, web and TV combined does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭bren2001

Check your facts. That ain't true. Deal with Discovery starts 2019.

Advertisement