Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Anyone know what the story is for pubs and other commercial premises showing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ronney wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is for pubs and other commercial premises showing it?

Can only be the same situation sure

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Thanks man.

Can you please pay for my flight to America so I can watch it.:D

If you have decent broadband just google how to watch TNT and CBS a lot cheaper than flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

bren2001 wrote: »
    First Up wrote: »
    It has everything to do with it. The PGA sold the international rights to Discovery Inc. They sold it on to various media distributors around the world. It was Discovery who did the deal with Eleven, not the PGA.

Check your facts. That ain't true. Deal with Discovery starts 2019.
    Thanks - hadn't twigged that.
    But the fact remains that the move away from traditional TV is inexorable. Its funny to look back at when people were howling about sports moving away from FTA TV. Seems almost quaint now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Thanks - hadn't twigged that.
    But the fact remains that the move away from traditional TV is inexorable. Its funny to look back at when people were howling about sports moving away from FTA TV. Seems almost quaint now.

Sky have PGA tour rights until 2021.

Moving away to a web only service would be an dreadful move for golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Commercial organisation makes commercial decision, presumably based on reasonably competent analysis of the numbers.

That's what this comes down to. The PGA of America's responsibility is to its members, not to Johnny sitting at home in Athlone. They couldn't give a flying **** about how many people watch it in the UK and Ireland.

Commercial organisation makes commercial decision, presumably based on reasonably competent analysis of the numbers.

That's what this comes down to. The PGA of America's responsibility is to its members, not to Johnny sitting at home in Athlone. They couldn't give a flying **** about how many people watch it in the UK and Ireland.

They should.

Thats one of professionals golf biggest problems, you don;'t have 1 body in chareg who can look out for the overall good of the sport, too may competing bodies looking after themselves first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Got a reply from Eleven on Twitter saying that App will be released soon and chromecast option will be available. It’s Tuesday now so I’m not holding out much hope.

Seem like a bunch of jokers to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

If they do have an app with Chromecast that will be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭fman

If you go right back to the start of the thread when this all started, a push to get more people to see the event was cited as the reason for taking it off sky.

fman wrote: »
    If you go right back to the start of the thread when this all started, a push to get more people to see the event was cited as the reason for taking it off sky.

And I'd say its a safe bet that more people have smartphones than have subscriptions to Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

And I'd say its a safe bet that more people have smartphones than have subscriptions to Sky Sports.

Nonsense, That's like saying more people have tv's than have eleven sports subscriptions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If they really cared about getting more people to watch it would be on Free To Air TV along with it being on the internet.

I don't think Golf suits being watched on a phone.Somehow I can't see peopel watching 4 or 5 hours of golf on their phone like they would have on TV.

If they really cared about getting more people to watch it would be on Free To Air TV along with it being on the internet.

I don't think Golf suits being watched on a phone.Somehow I can't see peopel watching 4 or 5 hours of golf on their phone like they would have on TV.

That's what Chromecast is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The PGA is the poor relation in the pecking order of golf majors. Each of the others has a unique feature, the (British) Open is played on a links course, the Masters is played on the same iconic course every year and the US Open has a uniquely difficult course setup. The PGA has nothing to distinguish it from any other run-of-the-mill tournament.
    I don't think that moving the tournament broadcasting rights to web-only is going to do anything to increase its popularity with the casual golf viewing public. It will only downgrade the status of the tournament even further because fewer people will be viewing.
    I think that the time has come when the whole structure of designation of majors needs to be looked at. Golf is now a world game but the designation of majors harks back to the days when golf was really only played in Britain/Ireland and America.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The PGA is the poor relation in the pecking order of golf majors. Each of the others has a unique feature, the (British) Open is played on a links course, the Masters is played on the same iconic course every year and the US Open has a uniquely difficult course setup. The PGA has nothing to distinguish it from any other run-of-the-mill tournament.
    I don't think that moving the tournament broadcasting rights to web-only is going to do anything to increase its popularity with the casual golf viewing public. It will only downgrade the status of the tournament even further because fewer people will be viewing.
    I think that the time has come when the whole structure of designation of majors needs to be looked at. Golf is now a world game but the designation of majors harks back to the days when golf was really only played in Britain/Ireland and America.

Agree.

PGA championship should be moved to the east.

1 year in Japan
    1 year in Korea
    1 year in China
    1 year in Australia

Rotate it aorund those 4 countries going forward.

Have it styled as the major of the Asia Pacific much like the Aussie Open in tennis is.

Almost no chance of that happening though as the Americans only care about themselves.

Roger_007 wrote: »

But you can't look at the PGA Championship broadcasting rights in isolation. The PGA has been talking about diversifying and changing its broadcast strategy for a couple of years. The move to digital platforms has been flagged for some time and I expect it will eventually affect all PGA events, not just this one.

What.

There's no "should" to this.

The PGA Championship is the PGA Championship. It's the championship of the PGA of America.

It is a major because of its history of being a major. It is self fulfilling. You can't "move" it, precisely because of the reason you stated - many tours and all would need to agree to give it the same status The same way all the talk about potentially moving the Australian Open to China etc will come to nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tdex86

Agree.

PGA championship should be moved to the east.

1 year in Japan
    1 year in Korea
    1 year in China
    1 year in Australia

Rotate it aorund those 4 countries going forward.

Have it styled as the major of the Asia Pacific much like the Aussie Open in tennis is.

Almost no chance of that happening though as the Americans only care about themselves.

That would be the Professional Golfer's Association of America, playing their annual blue riband event in the Asia Pacific region would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

But you can't look at the PGA Championship broadcasting rights in isolation. The PGA has been talking about diversifying and changing its broadcast strategy for a couple of years. The move to digital platforms has been flagged for some time and I expect it will eventually affect all PGA events, not just this one.

You seem to be confusing the PGA of America(who run/own the PGA Championship) with the PGA TOUR. They are completely separate organisations.

Tdex86 wrote: »
    That would be the Professional Golfer's Association of America, playing their annual blue riband event in the Asia Pacific region would it?

These bodies should be trying to grow the sport.

Fact is it's by far the 4th of the 4 majors always has been and always will be and it probably needs to be shaken up in some way to make it more unique.

It will never happen but it would be great for the sport if something like that did happen.

It probably needs to be shaken up in some way to make it more unique

Why? I haven't heard of any golfers talking about being unhappy with it or wanting changes. It pays the same as the Open and just a bit less than the US Open and the Masters.

It doesn't "need" to do anything.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

What you have to do to watch this on 11?

Adiaga 2 wrote: »

You seem to be confusing the PGA of America(who run/own the PGA Championship) with the PGA TOUR. They are completely separate organisations.
    Yes, apart from the fact that one is organised by the other there is no connection at all.

Why? I haven't heard of any golfers talking about being unhappy with it or wanting changes. It pays the same as the Open and just a bit less than the US Open and the Masters.

I'd argue it does.

It's not distinctive enough.The other 3 majors are.

The players only care about themselves, you're not going to see them complain unless it's somehting that affects their pay check.

I'd argue it does.

It's not distinctive enough.The other 3 majors are.

The players only care about themselves, you're not going to see them complain unless it's somehting that affects their pay check.

Why does it need to be more distinctive?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

I think it being moved to May from next year on will give it a bit more of a USP. It will be the big tournament in May as opposed to being sandwiched between the Open and the Fedex Cup playoffs and Ryder Cup.

Why does it need to be more distinctive?!

Why shouldn't it be more disitinctive all the other majors are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Am just going to pop this in here as a gentle reminder just in case.
    Copyrighted materials
    Anyone posting links to any streams (or other forms) that provide copyrighted material will be banned immediately for 6 months without warning. Same goes for anyone requesting a stream.
    If you are looking for a legal stream then clearly state this in your post or you will get a ban.
    See here for boards.ie guidelines.

Advertisement