Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

First Up wrote: »
    And I'd say its a safe bet that more people have smartphones than have subscriptions to Sky Sports.

Who the F wants to watch sports on their tiny phone when they have a 40inch TV in their living room?

It's stupid.

Fine, stick in on facebox if they have to, but my god to make that the only way to see it is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

It used to be match play. None of the other Majors have match play. Perhaps a new format could make it distinctive.

e.g.
    Start on Wednesday with 150 players.
    Round 1 on the Wed and Round 2 on Thursday.
    Cut field to 70 players within 10 of the lead.
    Round 3 on the Friday with an intermediate cut to 16 players including ties. Cut players get prize money.

Saturday and Sunday is then match play. There could be an FA cup style 'balls in a drum' draw on the Friday evening where an honoree golfer (like the honoree starters at the Masters) are invited to assist with the draw on an annual basis.

"Number 7" "Alex Noren" will play "Number 15" "Jordan Spieth"

First round Saturday AM, Quarter final PM.
    Sunday AM semi final and Final PM.

The Friday would potentially be the best round of golf in the major season as the top 70 are playing to make an intermediate cut and laggards would have to be aggressive, with inviting pin placements, it would be a birdie fest before the grind of the upcoming US Open in the following month.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Why shouldn't it be more disitinctive all the other majors are.

So you are saying that out of the 4 majors, 3 of them are distinctive.

So the PGA has the unique trait, or, distinction if you will, of being the only major thats not distinctive? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Seve OB wrote: »
    And I'd say its a safe bet that more people have smartphones than have subscriptions to Sky Sports.

Who the F wants to watch sports on their tiny phone when they have a 40inch TV in their living room?

It's stupid.

Fine, stick in on facebox if they have to, but my god to make that the only way to see it is just daft.
    Get a ChromeCast device. They are cheap and widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It's stupid.

Anyone with the slightest bit of cop on knows how to get that on their 40in screen though. Whether via a cable, Chromecast or an a Firestick etc.

• Advertisement

It's stupid.

Anyone with the slightest bit of cop on knows how to get that on their 40in screen though. Whether via a cable, Chromecast or an a Firestick etc.
    I think there may be some who long for the time their TV worked through an aerial on the roof (or a coat hanger stuck down the back) and you got everything on three channels called TV stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭bren2001

It's stupid.

While I do think some people on here are suggesting watching 5 hours on the phone or tablet, I don't think that is what the industry is suggesting.

Looking at other sports in America [as the effects of this phenomena has not quite hit here yet], the younger generations don't want to sit down and watch 90 minutes of football let alone 5 hours of golf. Through smartphones you can now keep proper updates across a wide variety of sports on the move. You can watch what you want, when you want, while you're playing Fifa or whatever.

In football, its a move to watch goals, controversial decisions, penalties etc. only of an entire league. Why watch the other 80+ minutes? In golf, why watch a single shot of Charlie Hoffman or Rickie Fowler on the final day [we know they are going to do nothing]. Why not just watch each shot of the golfer you want? e.g. Woods, McIlroy, Spieth etc.

Golfer may benefit hugely from this as each round has 70+ golfers and around 5000 shots on any given day so there should always be a moment of magic.

This deal won't do any of that but it is a tentative first step by the PGA there. I agree, its bonkers to not have it on TV here and its bonkers to give it to a brand new station that will, most likely, have teething problems but that is the way the industry is going. People like you and me who will watch 8+ hours of golf each day for 4 days are dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

Not really, my golf mad 77 year old dad has just called me this morning as he has found out its not being showing on sky. whats the best way to explain to him to download the app on his nokia phone and then connected it to his tv??:rolleyes:

Not really, my golf mad 77 year old dad has just called me this morning as he has found out its not being showing on sky. whats the best way to explain to him to download the app on his nokia phone and then connected it to his tv??:rolleyes:
    Be a good son and show him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tell him it's not his fault but the world moves on.

Some people here appear to believe they have a right to watch these events in the fashion they want.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I don't live with him anyomre. You know that whole, get married, have kids, move away and live with those people. Hence why i asked for advice on what is the best way to explain it to him. the poster above may it sound very easy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Some people here appear to believe they have a right to watch these events in the fashion they want.

People should have the option to watch it on TV.

Why can't you get that.

Having an online broadcaster is fine.

However having it as the only way to watch is not a good idea particularly for a sport like golf.

This new arrangment is not an improvement on the old one and certianly not better than having it on a FTA TV channel.

That's rather ageism don't you think? I for one do believe you have the right to look at these events, they would not be the events there are today if people were never given the easy access to view them!!!!!

GreeBo wrote: »
    So you are saying that out of the 4 majors, 3 of them are distinctive.

So the PGA has the unique trait, or, distinction if you will, of being the only major thats not distinctive? :confused:

;)Very funny.I think you know what I mean and to be honest I don't think I am alone with that view.

Matchplay would be a great idea but television broadcasters don't like it.It's the reason the PGA was moved from matchplay to strokeplay.

The womens British Open on Sunday was brilliant due to it essentially developing into a match play constest between the 2 players at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Golf should really have the 4 majors on terrestrial TV all over the world in order to increase awareness of the sport and drive further interest in it both for potential viewers and potential players. Look at Wimbledon, no amount of money a broadcaster could offer is worth the great publicity blanket coverage of Wimbledon on the BBC provides.

So after all the coverage Wimbledon gets, how many British-born players are now in the top 50 in the Men's and Women's singles rankings?

None is the answer. Kyle Edmund (ranked 16) was born in South Africa and Joanna Konta (43) was born in Australia.

Between 51 and 100 you won't see a single union jack in the women's rankings and the only 'British' man (ranked 63) is Cameron Norrie who was also born in Sth. Africa.

Unfortunately I don't live with him anyomre. You know that whole, get married, have kids, move away and live with those people. Hence why i asked for advice on what is the best way to explain it to him. the poster above may it sound very easy...
    Well he'll need access to Facebook for starters. I assume he doesn't have a Smart (internet connected) TV so he'll need a smartphone, laptop or any device that can access it. Then he'll need a Chromecast or similar device (about €35-40) to link to his TV - which needs to be recent enough to have a HDMI port.
    Hooking them up is easy - instructions with Chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tdex86

These bodies should be trying to grow the sport.

Fact is it's by far the 4th of the 4 majors always has been and always will be and it probably needs to be shaken up in some way to make it more unique.

It will never happen but it would be great for the sport if something like that did happen.

Sorry I'm confused. You want it "shaken up in some way to make it more unique", which is totally logical while at the same time complaining about them "shaking it up" in taking a different path to other majors?

R&A (BO) and USGA (USO) have a responsibility to grow the game. The Professional Golfers Association of America have a responsibility to their members to maximize earnings and returns (hence the word professional being in the name)

As for the tournament, it's moving to May in 2019 to fit into the calendar more logically and appropriately. They've also sold the rights to open up the mobile market which is (crude measurement I know) conservatively about 100 times bigger than the paywall TV market worldwide.

In my early 30's I am a guy who loves to sit down and watch the golf for 4 days come major time but next generation simply don't do that kinda stuff. Loads of good evidence from PL to CL to NFL and NBA to back that up.

coylemj wrote: »
    So after all the coverage Wimbledon gets, how many British-born players are now in the top 50 in the Men's and Women's singles rankings?

None is the answer. Kyle Edmund (ranked 16) was born in South Africa and Joanna Konta (43) was born in Australia.

Between 51 and 100 you won't see a single union jack in the women's rankings and the only 'British' man (ranked 63) is Cameron Norrie who was also born in Sth. Africa.

It's great for the sport as it attracts massive viewership figures and publicity for the sport in the UK.

Not everything is about getting elite players out of it, it's about increasing awareness of the sport.

Well he'll need access to Facebook for starters. I assume he doesn't have a Smart (internet connected) TV so he'll need a smartphone, laptop or any device that can access it. Then he'll need a Chromecast or similar device (about €35-40) to link to his TV - which needs to be recent enough to have a HDMI port.
    Hooking them up is easy - instructions with Chromecast.

I think I have to tell him to look at it in the pub, his tv probably is a smart one as we got it for him only 2 years ago but he would not have a notion how that operates. it took a 5 hour lesson to show him how the sky q remotes works, ha!! i wont even go there trying to explain to him about setting up on facebook, not worth the conversation... thanks for the advice tho.

Tdex86 wrote: »
    Sorry I'm confused. You want it "shaken up in some way to make it more unique", which is totally logical while at the same time complaining about them "shaking it up" in taking a different path to other majors?

R&A (BO) and USGA (USO) have a responsibility to grow the game. The Professional Golfers Association of America have a responsibility to their members to maximize earnings and returns (hence the word professional being in the name)

As for the tournament, it's moving to May in 2019 to fit into the calendar more logically and appropriately. They've also sold the rights to open up the mobile market which is (crude measurement I know) conservatively about 1 billion times bigger than the paywall TV market worldwide.

In my early 30's I am a guy who loves to sit down and watch the golf for 4 days come major time but next generation simply don't do that kinda stuff. Loads of good evidence from PL to CL to NFL and NBA to back that up.

As I said before.

I have no problem with it being with an internet broadcaster.

I do have a problem with it being with an internet only broadcaster.

It should be on televsion and on the internet not one or the other.I imagine that would not be that difficult to arrange.The NFL has games on facebook while at the same time they are on US television.

• Advertisement

and some people think that they have the right for everything to be the way they want it and they way of the smartphone generation and screw the people who haven't embraced it, especially the older generation...

TV is not extinct. EVERY other sport is on some form of TV.

I have a Firestick. Never use it, it's a pain in the arse. I couldn't be bothered casting content with crappy internet connection that freezes all the time. I just want to be able to turn the TV on on and watch the golf. I can't do that, so I won't watch it.

I'm lucky, I live in Dublin, but Eircom still haven't got fibre on my road. I use Virgin, but it is not all that good. Myself and the wife remote access our work and we would often do it in the evening with the kids in bed and the tele on in the background. If we are streaming anything, we can't work, it's not slow... it just doesn't work full stop.

And what about the places with real crap internet and all sorts of download limits.

The internet is good, but it's just not good enough yet to be the only way to view television. I get sick of people telling me that i need to ditch traditional tv and get netflix and prime and whatever else is the rage these days.

they can do what they want, it is just quite clearly a bad idea to restrict the coverage and isolate the people who embrace the sport more than anyone else... because that is what is happening here

coylemj wrote: »

what a stupid and totally irrelevant statement. why are you bringing tennis rankings into a tv debate about golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

So has anyone been able to download the App, its not available in the Irish App Store.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ahh lads, will ye cop on please, some of the statements here are embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

So has anyone been able to download the App, its not available in the Irish App Store.

Yes Golfgraffix, I downloaded it just today from the play store. It's called "PGA Championship 2018" in the play store and from what I can see they will be showing live coverage through the app of the two featured groups (Keegan Bradley, Jason Day, Phil "Snake Hips" Mickleson)(Tiger, Justin Thomas, Rory) as well as live coverage from featured holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Yes Golfgraffix, I downloaded it just today from the play store. It's called "PGA Championship 2018" in the play store and from what I can see they will be showing live coverage through the app of the two featured groups (Keegan Bradley, Jason Day, Phil "Snake Hips" Mickleson)(Tiger, Justin Thomas, Rory) as well as live coverage from featured holes.

Just downloaded the Eleven Sports app there on iphone, Seams to be only the Italian version on the apple app store and no way to change language.

Eleven Sports UK available on Android

The above PGA Championship App, is the Dedicated Tournament App. Dont think you will be able to watch feature groups/holes in Ireland

Seams to be straight forward enough on their web page on a laptop to sign up.

Does anyone know what the situation is for Pubs/Commercial premises showing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's great for the sport as it attracts massive viewership figures and publicity for the sport in the UK.

Not everything is about getting elite players out of it, it's about increasing awareness of the sport.

But increasing awareness of tennis should lead to increased participation from which you expect to emerge some world-class players.

Wimbledon and the Lawn Tennis Association pour potloads of cash into British tennis with a view to producing elite players. Clearly it isn't working.

So (here is the point of my posts)...... if the championship committee of the R&A (the blazers who run the British Open) are challenged as to why the Open is no longer available on terrestrial TV, they can simply point at tennis where despite 13 days of BBC coverage of Wimbledon every year, there isn't a single British-born man or woman in the top 100.

Ronney wrote: »
    Just downloaded the Eleven Sports app there on iphone, Seams to be only the Italian version on the apple app store and no way to change language.

Eleven Sports UK available on Android

The above PGA Championship App, is the Dedicated Tournament App. Dont think you will be able to watch feature groups/holes in Ireland

Seams to be straight forward enough on their web page on a laptop to sign up.

Does anyone know what the situation is for Pubs/Commercial premises showing it?

Yea the app I was referring to was the official tournament app and not the eleven sports one. That said once I logged into the app with either facebook, google or twitter it allowed me to watch a live press conference that is going on right now so I'm hopeful it will allow me to watch the featured groups. When asked for my zip code I typed "unknown" by the way which worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Yea the app I was referring to was the official tournament app and not the eleven sports one. That said once I logged into the app with either facebook, google or twitter it allowed me to watch a live press conference that is going on right now so I'm hopeful it will allow me to watch the featured groups. When asked for my zip code I typed "unknown" by the way which worked.

The standard Pga tour app has this option every week but not available in Ireland, Think you will need to do more than type in Unknown for location to get past their geolocation, especially given that its exclusively broadcast online here

• Advertisement

Ronney wrote: »
    The standard Pga tour app has this option every week but not available in Ireland, Think you will need to do more than type in Unknown for location to get past their geolocation, especially given that its exclusively broadcast online here

You could well be right. I suppose I won't know until Thursday but I was encouraged to see that it allowed me to watch live content today. There are VPN apps that I can use from the play store I suppose if it is geoblocked come kick-off. It's all a bit ridiculous if you ask me. Have the online element as an option but not the only option. Will be interesting to see the aftermath of doing it this way. Don't think the reviews will be glowing.

Advertisement