Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Championship gone from Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Anyone with the slightest bit of cop on knows how to get that on their 40in screen though. Whether via a cable, Chromecast or an a Firestick etc.

I have an apple TV and I know that Sky Sports stop the app mirroring, will it still work via mirroring or via a Stick ? ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭fman

No one really knows yet. Have seen someone mention on another thread about eleven that Chromecast support won't be there from the start, so no guarantees on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I have an apple TV and I know that Sky Sports stop the app mirroring, will it still work via mirroring or via a Stick ? ?

Don't know and not sure anyone does, 2 days out from the tournament it's been a right cluster fcuk so far. I'm certainly not paying 7 quid just to watch this tournament on my phone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Tyson Fury wrote:
    Boxing is extremely popular now, arguably more so than in the last 20 years.

Yeah strange that one as the standard is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

coylemj wrote: »
    But increasing awareness of tennis should lead to increased participation from which you expect to emerge some world-class players.

Wimbledon and the Lawn Tennis Association pour potloads of cash into British tennis with a view to producing elite players. Clearly it isn't working.

So (here is the point of my posts)...... if the championship committee of the R&A (the blazers who run the British Open) are challenged as to why the Open is no longer available on terrestrial TV, they can simply point at tennis where despite 13 days of BBC coverage of Wimbledon every year, there isn't a single British-born man or woman in the top 100.

Other than Andy Murray who was world #1 last year before taking 11 months off due to injury...right?

Or his brother Jamie who is ranked 9th in the world in doubles?

Also I'm not sure why you restrict players to being "British-born", is it just to exclude players who would disprove your point, players such as Johanna Konta who moved to the UK when she was 14 and is now 43rd in the world or perhaps Kyle Edmund who moved over when he was 3 and is currently 16th in the world rankings...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GreeBo wrote: »
    Other than Andy Murray who was world #1 last year before taking 11 months off due to injury...right?

Or his brother Jamie who is ranked 9th in the world in doubles?

Also I'm not sure why you restrict players to being "British-born", is it just to exclude players who would disprove your point, players such as Johanna Konta who moved to the UK when she was 14 and is now 43rd in the world or perhaps Kyle Edmund who moved over when he was 3 and is currently 16th in the world rankings...:confused:

Even if you include people who moved to England (as I did in post #346), there are only three players claiming to be British in the top 100 men's and women's singles rankings.

And Johanna Konta now claims to live in the Bahamas. I know it's for tax purposes but just makes it strange that there's a union jack against her name in the rankings. Goes to show how much claim she has to be 'British'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Even if you include people who moved to England (as I did in post #346), there are only three players claiming to be British in the top 100 men's and women's singles rankings.

And Johanna Konta now claims to live in the Bahamas. I know it's for tax purposes but just makes it strange that there's a union jack against her name in the rankings. Goes to show how much claim she has to be 'British'.

Who cares about all that.

The point is that free to air coverage is brilliant publicity for a sport, I don't care what the sport is.

The open being on the BBC 14 hours a day for 4 days and having other golf tournaments on the BBC where people who are not necessarily interested in golf will get exposed to it was undoubtedly good for the sport.

The reason the NFL became such a massive sport in the USA is because it has always been of free to air TV and thus everyone in America could easily view it and it became pat of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The open being on the BBC 14 hours a day for 4 days and having other golf tournaments on the BBC where people who are not necessarily interested in golf will get exposed to it was undoubtedly good for the sport.

'Good for the sport'.... how?

Rory McIlroy won two majors in 2014, including the British Open which was shown live on the BBC yet he got less than 20% of the popular vote for BBC Sports Personality of the Year and came a distant second to Lewis Hamiliton.

'Good for the sport'.... how?

Rory McIlroy won two majors in 2014, including the British Open which was shown live on the BBC yet he got less than 20% of the popular vote for BBC Sports Personality of the Year and came a distant second to Lewis Hamiliton.

Lewis Hamilton is English. McIlroy is northern irish.

England population 55 million
    NI population 1.8 million

Think that might go some way to explaining why Hamilton would beat McIlroy in a BBC poll.

Anything that gives more exposure for a sport is good for it.

Major events should be used as an advertisement for the sport as a whole and a gateway for the casual fan to becoming a regular watcher.

Can you please point out why having the PGA championship on an internet only broadcast is better than having a combination of TV and internet broadcast ?(which is what I have argued should be happening)

So you seriously believe that young 3 year old Kyle Edmund had decided that he was going to be a top class tennis player based on his vast 36 months of life in South Africa?

Pull the other one mate, its got bells on.

Konta along with Edmund and others are tax resident in the Bahamas, as you state yourself. I dont see what this has to do with her "claim" to be British?

Where are U2 from in your mind, coz I know where they (dont) pay their taxes!

Is Shane Lowry American now that he lives in America or is it only the Brits you attack?

In any case, I see you dodged the Murray brothers...they were born in Scotland and one of them was number 1 until he got injured, the other is a multiple winning double player.

Back onto a sensible topic:

Personally I don't really care that its not available on the tv, 100% of what I watch is streamed these days anyway, I don't even have a TV service.

I think that the argument regarding growing the game is illogical.
    The only people who will have difficulty watching the PGA are old and already playing golf.

The people who arent watching or playing golf already spend most of their day on mobile devices and streaming content, so if you want to "grow the game" then this is your target audience and this is how you target them.

That said, they are going to miss out on a percentage of the kids who would only watch it (or indeed be aware that its on) because their parents were watching it on BBC in the sitting room that night.

but sure who watches TV with the parents at night these days anyway...

• Advertisement

So you seriously believe that young 3 year old Kyle Edmund had decided that he was going to be a top class tennis player based on his vast 36 months of life in South Africa?

Pull the other one mate, its got bells on.

Konta along with Edmund and others are tax resident in the Bahamas, as you state yourself. I dont see what this has to do with her "claim" to be British?

Is Shane Lowry American now that he lives in America or is it only the Brits you attack?

In any case, I see you dodged the Murray brothers...they were born in Scotland and one of them was number 1 until he got injured, the other is a multiple winning double player.

Back onto a sensible topic:

Personally I don't really care that its not available on the tv, 100% of what I watch is streamed these days anyway, I don't even have a TV service.

I think that the argument regarding growing the game is illogical.
    The only people who will have difficulty watching the PGA are old and already playing golf.

The people who arent watching or playing golf already spend most of their day on mobile devices and streaming content, so if you want to "grow the game" then this is your target audience and this is how you target them.

That said, they are going to miss out on a percentage of the kids who would only watch it (or indeed be aware that its on) because their parents were watching it on BBC in the sitting room that night.

but sure who watches TV with the parents at night these days anyway...

But why would you restrict the coverage to online only why it would be so much better to have a TV deal and a deal with an on-line broadcaster.

The decision to do this online only deal is illogical.

The problem is that it is online, the problem is that it is online only and this alienates a section of your fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

2 of them are from Dublin, 1 from England and the other lad is Welsh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

The UK app is now available, created my free account and worked fine.

Seems to stream to my Apple TV no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

The UK app is now available, created my free account and worked fine.

Seems to stream to my Apple TV no problem

Signed up there, when I try to watch a video, it reads ‘localisation error’ something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've signed up. Nothing "live" to watch yet but the "US PGA Preview" video is working fine for me.
    Will try to cast it to my tv when i get home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I've signed up. Nothing "live" to watch yet but the "US PGA Preview" video is working fine for me.
    Will try to cast it to my tv when i get home tonight.

Yeah, it’s actually working there now for me too. Didn’t realise the golf was on the golf channel too.

But why would you restrict the coverage to online only why it would be so much better to have a TV deal and a deal with an on-line broadcaster.

The decision to do this online only deal is illogical.

The problem is that it is online, the problem is that it is online only and this alienates a section of your fanbase.

Because 11 sports arent going to pay anyone diddly squat for the online rights if everyone and his mother can just watch it on tv instead.

Why would they?

Because 11 sports arent going to pay anyone diddly squat for the online rights if everyone and his mother can just watch it on tv instead.

Why would they?

They should be told if they want to broadcast it they must have a TV channel also.

That should apply to all major sports events.

They should be told if they want to broadcast it they must have a TV channel also.

That should apply to all major sports events.

But why?

Should they also be told they need to send telegram updates to customers?
    Have a radio station with live coverage?
    Perhaps a town crier also?

Life moves on.

But why?

Life moves on.

The Sport should be looking to reach as many people as possible not reduce the number pof people who can watch.I'll barely watch any of it this weekend due to extra inconvenience involved I doubt I'm the only one.

Wait until we seee the viewership figures for this weekend.

I have a feeling they will be well down on previous PGA championships.

Posters like you on this thread seem to be deliberately misundertanding the point I'm making for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

But why?

Life moves on.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

The Sport should be looking to reach as many people as possible not reduce the number pof people who can watch.I'll barely watch any of it this weekend due to extra inconvenience involved I doubt I'm the only one.

Wait until we seee the viewership figures for this weekend.

I have a feeling they will be well down on previous PGA championships.

Posters like you on this thread seem to be deliberately misundertanding the point I'm making for the sake of it.

100% agree...do people not realise without viewership and people watching these events they would not be what they are today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Have signed up to eleven for the free trial. Toying with keeping it on for the Spanish football, will see how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Signed up there on Android. I see people crying in the reviews that Chromecast / Smart TV support is not available yet. Can anyone confirm. This is commercial suicide if so. The option to cast your screen may be there but I, like everyone else, likes to respond to messages, take calls and arse on here and Twitter when watching 8 hours of straight Golf.

Signed up there on Android. I see people crying in the reviews that Chromecast / Smart TV support is not available yet. Can anyone confirm. This is commercial suicide if so. The option to cast your screen may be there but I, like everyone else, likes to respond to messages, take calls and arse on here and Twitter when watching 8 hours of straight Golf.

If you have a laptop or PC on your home network you can login via their webpage and cast the screen using Google Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

If you have a laptop or PC on your home network you can login via their webpage and cast the screen using Google Chrome.

So Chromecast is working on desktop but not Mobile / Tablet?

I'll be grand but the hassle of setting this up for the Aul fella will be poxy

So Chromecast is working on desktop but not Mobile / Tablet?

I'll be grand but the hassle of setting this up for the Aul fella will be poxy

Works for me anyway. I don't think it's an extension you need for chrome.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228332?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,609 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The idea to do this only online is totally idiotic. It certainly won’t do anything for growing the interest in the game.

A kid who isn’t interested in golf or marginally interested in golf will not watch it now just because it’s online (only). Is the idea that kids will consume anything as long as it’s online?

On the other hand people who were and are interested in golf and in this tournament are going to be pissed off because they now have to jump through hoops to watch it.

Idiocy.

Whatever the real reasons of this are it ain’t growing interest in the game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

funny I cant remember requesting that...you condescending moron!
    Less of that type of language. Thanks

• Advertisement

A kid who isn’t interested in golf or marginally interested in golf will not watch it now just because it’s online (only). Is the idea that kids will consume anything as long as it’s online?

Is your idea that a kid who isnt interested was going to sit down and watch it on Sky Sports instead?

Advertisement